Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an article from today's free press for all the auto-contractors.
Being in the business, I can tell you that "variable workforce" i.e contractors are more valuable during uncertain economic times. They also become more valuable after consumer spending increases (which it is) so hang in there!

http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/gm19_20040219.htm

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Yep , I got this earlier today

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
query me this, so when all the work comes back here and its wrong due to lack of experience how much are they gonna spend to fix it. yeah I'm kinda making an assumption but I've also had to fix some design work for that very reason.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cad Gorilla,

I couldn't agree more. It's probably no coincidence that on the day this article came out, GM had to put a notice out to stop selling the new little Chevy I think its the Aveno because of problems...
Don't kill the messenger!

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Wow, two people they mentioned I know. Glen and Una. Small world and getting smaller.

·
Registered
366 Posts
hang in there guys ,,I think the #'s are a little low and they didnt mention for everyone layed off at GM there are 2 laid off at a supplier that have been supporting the program

and why not go a little deeper and throw the 30 day sh*t rule in there also so u cant even look for a better job.

Ross Perot said "your gonna hear this big giant sucking sound coming from the south" ,well ive been hearing that for a while now, even more suck is coming from the east

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Thanks nafta i know its not with india but in my opion it still contributes to s... t like this..

on the news last night for computer people the big three is hiring . go to autojobs.org

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
i am not a contract employee, and i guess i do not understand. if you are a contract person don't you expect to be let go and the end of that job or contract? i know that is how our electricians work. they go from place to place all the time, that is normal.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
yes and no. they dont always tell you when or how long the contract is going to be. They mostly give something vague and general, when I started here last May I was originally told 8 months (til this past Dec.) "maybe more". The "maybe more" ends next month. At least they told this far in advance.

if I'm so qualified to get in here on contract why not full time? I've been told by more than one person here "ohh great job! I really like that design kudos to you, I wonder what the chances of getting you in here fulltime would be...blah blah blah...".

I dont personally prefer contract but it seems thats only thing been available to me lately. Besides getting laid of every year kinda sucks, cant make any decent long term plans like buying a boat. <_< Its also hard to accumulate vacation time when they dont let you start accruing it for four months and cant take it till a one year anniversary anyways, so for a contract that only last a year your Sheot O.L.

I get some paid holidays and take days off here and there but I dont get paid for those. And the rest of the benefits are usually sub par to those fulltime working around you. I understand why contracts are like this but I dont have to like it. Oh well guess I'll just ask/fight for more money next time.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
thats a bummer not knowing how long you will be kept. here they all bid jobs and tell us how long it is going to take. payed up front. if other things come up, and they usually do it is handled at that time and time is added for extra repairs.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(Pandora @ Feb 19 2004, 05:46 PM)i am not a contract employee, and i guess i do not understand. if you are a contract person don't you expect to be let go and the end of that job or contract? i know that is how our electricians work. they go from place to place all the time, that is normal.
Not necessarily. I have been a contract (jobbie) employee for 18 yrs. The last 12 have been at the same company, through 3 different contract houses. Our design staff is about half of what it was 3 yrs ago. It is tough putting that much time into a place and going in every morning wondering if you'll be next to be let go.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
yeah boater but they are scared to let you go, you might beat up the whole company on your way out the door. we know what a bad a$$ you are...

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is a hard part about being in the contracting business as well... Believe me, once we find someone, screen someone, build a relationship with someone, we want to keep that person happily employed for as long as possible. Contractors tend to make higher $ but the trade off is some benefits and the uncertainty...
For a contractor, when it's good it's good, when it's bad it's bad...

But, back in 98, 99, and 2000 things were amazing for contractors, we couldn't find enough people. (We had a 2 to 1 recruiter ratio. 2 recruiters for every salesperson in my organization) Now, we have reversed that ratio because it is so much harder to find the business than it is to find people.

That being said, the tide is starting to turn again, and contractor's will be able to call their own shots. Probably within the next 6 months, customers will need services more than they have in the past 4 years, so HANG IN THERE!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts