Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the process of buying new appliances and Tom is trying to talk me into getting the Convection oven (you know the one that circulates the air with that fan gadget), but i am not sure it is worth it to get.

Does anyone have a convection oven? What are the pluses to having one? Does it REALLY do a better job of cooking....?

I love my oven now and i think it does a good job- every sales guy is talking us into the new convection-- can anyone give me any feedback??

thanks

·
Registered
34,129 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Years ago had a confection oven/microwave. Really liked it. I still used the regular oven also, but it sure came in handy. Guess that really doesn't help much sorry.

·
12,052 Posts
I have a Jenn-Air convection at home and convection on the boat. They rule. Use them both that way all the time. Quicker, juicer meats, cook on three shelves evenly, and so on.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ May 10 2004, 02:50 PM)I have a Jenn-Air convection at home and convection on the boat. They rule. Use them both that way all the time. Quicker, juicer meats, cook on three shelves evenly, and so on.
Very Well spoken Jim...THANK YOU!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(hammer @ May 10 2004, 02:50 PM)I have a Jenn-Air convection at home and convection on the boat. They rule. Use them both that way all the time. Quicker, juicer meats, cook on three shelves evenly, and so on.
Moneyshot would disagree with you i think.

But doesn't a "regular" oven do the same thing, except without the fan? Do you loose rack space b/c of the fan? Do you have to adjust cooking times?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
JennAir is a whole different story....Jennair is the best of the best of stoves. That is like comparing a subzero frig to a Frigidare.

I don't think the convection was worth the extra money in my case. Convections are supposed to cook way faster and very even. It doesn't cook that even, and it only cooks slightly faster...its brand new.

·
"Commodore of the ToT LoT"
2,809 Posts
I have about an 8 year old GE profile double oven. The top one is convection/regular and the bottom one is just regular. The convection rules. It's fast, everything browns very nicely and stays moist inside. Great for baking. I think it does a nice job. You do loose rack space but that fan is worth it. Mine also has an electronic probe that is great for cooking meat. You can set it for whatever temp. you want and the oven will shut off when it's done. That way you can't over-cook it. I guess it depends on how much you cook if it's worth it to spend the extra $. Keep in mind, you cook a lot more when you have kids. (3 meals a day, 7 days a week, 12 months a year!!!) Just my .02.

Dr. XO

·
12,052 Posts
How do you lose rack space? I have 3 racks in both where a regular oven only has 2 don't they? Yes you do have to adjust time as its a bit faster, just the way I like it.

A long time good friend of the family is Manager at ABC on Hall road and I get great deals. He knocked an additional $1000 off the sale price of the Jenn-Air and a Profile fridge I bought. He will do that for anyone I send to him.

Another note, I like a gas stove, and an electric oven is supposed to be the best so thats what I got. Plus I use the bbq grill on top all the time and I got the griddle accessory too. There are many more.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I've cooked in alot of ovens, and the best is convection 90% of the time hands down. There are however, times when baking, however, where it's better to bake without the fan going.

I say get one with it, most of the 'good' ones have the option of reverting to the conventional type, and find out for yourself. You'll find that most food cooked in a convection oven is just as good, just takes less time.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
QUOTE(manana-II @ May 11 2004, 08:25 AM)Thanks for all the comments... greatly appreciated.

hmmm............
YES...THANK YOU...I will let you guys know how Manana II likes her new Convection Oven

·
12,052 Posts
Like DY said, both of mine have the option to bake regular or convection.

Think parties.........2am........3 pizza's at once............

If you need someone to see for a price Tom, let me know.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ May 11 2004, 01:10 PM)I am going to need your contact, Jim......Need a washer, too

The ABC on Hall Rd. ask for Dave Letcavage, tell him you're a friend of Operating Engineers Local 547. We got eight big screen tv's for him, he beat everybody's price.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(rfdeiter @ May 11 2004, 01:29 PM)QUOTE(threecrabs @ May 11 2004, 01:10 PM) I am going to need your contact, Jim......Need a washer, too

The ABC on Hall Rd. ask for Dave Letcavage, tell him you're a friend of Operating Engineers Local 547. We got eight big screen tv's for him, he beat everybody's price.

I'll have two names to drop then
Thanks!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts