Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the swim bait thinking it would be a great lure to jig with but it was to light and had to add some weight. I took a 1oz pencil weight and attached it to the front bottom of the lure. I took the bottom hook and split ring off and the eye of the weight snapped right on it. Bent the weight to contour the bottom of the lure. Replaced the hook and ring, drilled a hole toward the front of weight, put a rubber band through the hole and hooked each end over the eye on top of the bait. Now I have a vertical jigging swim bait. Storm swim bait $5.00, weight I had in my drop shot kit, rubber bands in my filing cabinet.
Vertebrate Surface lure Bait Fish hook Hook

Insect Automotive lighting Eye glass accessory Arthropod Liquid

Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle saddle

Attachments

·
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(troller11 @ Oct 30 2009, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the rubberband will probably dry rot over time, may want to try to use a epoxy or glue. but good idea for extra wieght

The rubberband can be replaced I'll keep a small bag of them in my tackle box. I drilled the hole so the band won't be cut dropping it on the bottom and if a musky cuts it I can stick a new one on. I also thought about tying it up with a piece of fluro. The epoxy is a good idea though but then I can't take the weight off if I want to use it as a swim bait. Besides the first big musky that hits it is probably going to shred the bait into to pieces anyway
. While I was at BPS I also picked up a tube of plastic surgury glue to repair the plastics that has had some shredding already. That stuff works good I glued the tail back together on a body bait that almost had the tail bit off. And I repaired a storm 9in wildeye swim shad that had the hook almost torn out of it. now both are almost good as new. Good enough I don't have to buy new ones

·
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(AlexG @ Oct 30 2009, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A small zip tie might also be a good solution.

Now thats a great idea, thanks Alex. you would think with all the zip ties I have I would have thought of that. It's durable yet can be removed. Thanks again Alex, your brilliant.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
QUOTE(sirfishalot @ Oct 30 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(AlexG @ Oct 30 2009, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A small zip tie might also be a good solution.

Now thats a great idea, thanks Alex. you would think with all the zip ties I have I would have thought of that. It's durable yet can be removed. Thanks again Alex, your brilliant.

Hope they work for you. I know I will be on doing some more jigging before the season is over. I might have to modify some baits for jigging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts