Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to fishing Lake St Clair, having just started fishing the big waters in fall of 2007, and am wondering how this spell of cooler weather might affect where the fish are likely to be holding.

Last week's warm weather appeared to have driven the fish right to many summer locations. But I'm wondering just how far they're likely to have gone, especially for the larger and presumably more migratory big toothy critters, who have preferred water temperatures in the 60s.

In other words, are they likely to return to the hot spots of a week or 2 ago, of is it likely these fish have moved far away and will be holding in different locations?

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
OK, from one guy new to LSC to another (so take this FWIW) I don't see them moving back. I think the recent warm/hot spell really triggered a move to the summer pattern that we've been waiting on. I think there's fish all over the lake all year round, but I think the move to the drop offs and deeper water happened, and is in progress. I raised three fish off of a "summer" spot last Friday with my Dad. I think that's why guys are getting follows and not seeing the bigger girls on a regular basis- they're in transition.

That said, I don't see them moving back into the earlier patterns, but rather reacting to this like they would a cold snap over the summer, and that's laying low, being less responsive, taking smaller baits, etc. But if I was going to fish right now (probably won't be out again until Friday) I'd try to ends of the spectrum. I'd fish lower in the water column where the water isn't as rapidly affected by day to day changes and is more stable, and I'd fish right up on top of drop offs if we get any Sun in the afternoons where the fish can come up and get some warmth before heading back to more stable water overnight/early morning.

But that's me. I'm just a new guy to this lake who doesn't catch many fish! lol

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Esox is right on IMO. I think the water temp is more important then the air temp. If this was a sustained air temp change and it changed the water temp, then yes you would have confused fish and early season holding patterns may arrive. This 3 day change should not change the water temp a ton. Maybe from a surface temp of 76 to 74-72. This should keep the ski's on their normal "migratory" pattern.

yes I know migration is the wrong word, but you get my drift. Maybe feeding pattern is a better word.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking along the lines of what esoxfly posted, too ... but wondering if the fish still might be close enough to those hot locations they were at prior to the warm spell, and could make a reappearance. In other words, wondering if they've properly migrated to summer positions, or just fallen back to deeper nearby water.

We are looking at highs in the 60s and lows in the 50s for several days, with mean temperatures staying in the 60s until the end of the week, so this will probably drop the surface temps a good bit.

But that said, I'm thinking in summer cold front terms, too, based on the great reports from the S end of the lake and the spottier reports from Anchor Bay since the hot spell.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I know i went out today and they may not have been there or turned on but i tried buckails crankbaits jerkbaits and well everything. I found this cool article though http://thenextbite.com/node/12795

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the info, all, and the Next Bite article was very good, though it didn't really hit on the cloudy post cold front periods such as we're in now, except to imply that low light conditions tend to bring high levels of activity, which makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately I'm marooned with a lot of work to do, so it looks like I won't be getting out there today. If I did, I'd hit the lower mile roads or in deeper water off Huron Point, my Canadian license not being in yet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Jul 1 2009, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I appreciate the info, all, and the Next Bite article was very good, though it didn't really hit on the cloudy post cold front periods such as we're in now, except to imply that low light conditions tend to bring high levels of activity, which makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately I'm marooned with a lot of work to do, so it looks like I won't be getting out there today. If I did, I'd hit the lower mile roads or in deeper water off Huron Point, my Canadian license not being in yet.

I know its kinda hard to find info on that....most articles talk about post cold front blue bird skies. There were doing real well in canada one boat i know went 21 for 30 and 2 days ago they were moving out my buddy chuck went 9 for 13 and 2 double headers. Purple bucktails, and small body baitsbiggest fish being about 26lbs 13 to 14 ft of water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts