Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally made it back up for two days fishing. I ended the trip with six muskies and five pike and a 19" bass all casting, not including my friends two muskie and six pike. Biggest fish was little over 42 and muskie were mid to upper thirties. Had to cut three hooks from deep sets which sucks for me and the fish. The best was the 42 followed the bait to the boat turned and just hovered about ten feet out. I held my rod as far out I could and plopped the bait about a foot in front and it just crashed it then. Hookset was weak but still managed to lead it around the boat in the net. His sides were raw and bleeding, was wondering if that is the vhs I've heard about. I will post a pic when I get time. Fish caught on: gold bulldawg, white green and gold spinner, swimmin joe. Thanks, Rusty

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
A few of pike have the skin some peeling off and looks like its bleeding. One about a month ago looked like it had most of the skin on both sides missing real wierd looking fish, but it hit a lure so its still eating.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
QUOTE(rustyman @ Sep 25 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Finally made it back up for two days fishing. I ended the trip with six muskies and five pike and a 19" bass all casting, not including my friends two muskie and six pike. Biggest fish was little over 42 and muskie were mid to upper thirties. Had to cut three hooks from deep sets which sucks for me and the fish. The best was the 42 followed the bait to the boat turned and just hovered about ten feet out. I held my rod as far out I could and plopped the bait about a foot in front and it just crashed it then. Hookset was weak but still managed to lead it around the boat in the net. His sides were raw and bleeding, was wondering if that is the vhs I've heard about. I will post a pic when I get time. Fish caught on: gold bulldawg, white green and gold spinner, swimmin joe. Thanks, Rusty

cool story and nice job. Had one hit like that a few weeks ago, About 46". He followed me up to the boat and I did not notice him. Lifted the lure out and looked down to see a Musky sitting there. Dropped my lure back in,WHAM! lol Very cool bud!

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
U guys must have the luck. That happened to me twice, I always watch behind the spinner, I dont see anything, I pull the lure out get ready to cast and look down and theres a musky wondering what happened to dinner. Once before I even opened the bail the fish split (must have seen me move) and the second time as soon as the lure hit the water 4' away it split. Both times they were about 40" fish.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I had a small one (mid 20s) jump clear out of the water after I had lifted the bait and went to make another cast. After he splashed back into the lake like Shamoo he just sat there befuddled. I told BassTech "Hey, there's a hot one!". I dropped the bait back in and he nailed it like a rattlesnake. If only he were a 50.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Sep 25 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not looking for an exact location, but what was the average depth? Sounds like you found a good area, thats a lot of fish for 2 trips. Nice work!

It wasn't one area, it was four. And the muskie would be seven more if we didn't lose any. Not any big secrets, grass island produced alot of pike and a small muskie. North channel, clinton river, and east of brandenburg launch. I used an aqua view to check what kind of weeds were below. Seemed pike were more in the cabbage and muskie were in the straight ones on that occasion. But, their locations change to. Fish were almost all in 8fow. I messed up and spent too much time in one location without results. I moved to clinton and lost two fish, one upper forties for sure followed through two eights then hit the bait and missed hooks. I ran the bait back across her face and she just was not interested anymore. I got alot of action on a custom color big game twitch bait Tony spicker gave me and a homemade shallow crank in carp, but no takers. Thanks to anyone who helped me with questions I had. Sorry about pics, new camera not loaded on computer yet.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
QUOTE(6667supersport @ Sep 25 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>U guys must have the luck. That happened to me twice, I always watch behind the spinner, I dont see anything, I pull the lure out get ready to cast and look down and theres a musky wondering what happened to dinner. Once before I even opened the bail the fish split (must have seen me move) and the second time as soon as the lure hit the water 4' away it split. Both times they were about 40" fish.

lol This has only happened to me once. All the other times they have split too.lol. It was getting dark so that was a big help as far as him seeing me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts