Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought me a brand new boat this Spring. !5ft. Smokercraft Alaskan, new (old stock)15HP. Johnson, etc.
Been fishing all summer, including dragging the boat up to Fletcher's pond for a week. Bass Pro Shop and Cabela's list me as an asset on their books.

Here's the problem: How do I get the cost of fish under $1000 per pound?

All summer I've averaged 0ne (1) fish per outing. I've thrown everything from crawlers, pricey Rapelas, and all manner of colorful things with spinners, to vintage Fish Cakes and other antiques with and with out propellers. "Wacky" has taken on a bitterly ironic meaning.

Fishing this year has sucked.
then again it still beats the crap out of working...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I love Fletcher's I always did well up there, Boating is a lifestlye not an investment. The cheapest fish are caught from shore, Sorry. The last 2 years have been pretty bad for me as well, especially walleye wise. Good luck next year.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
First things first..what are you trying to catch? You are going to spend a lot more money on searching and locating fish if you don't know exactly where they are going to be. You'll save a lot of money if you know where to be putting your efforts in so you can motor directly to these area's.

Know the fish, know the locations = less searching and more fish in the boat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What value to you put on being out on the lake, messing with the boat, tackle and etc.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
you could of went with me i would of only charged you a hundred per fish and the garbage fish are free lol

like large mouth said what and whereare key things post this and i am sure we can get that thousand down for you

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Your gonna lose all day long trying to figure out what it costs you per pound!
I have had a great year so far, especially on the walleye. I just looked at my past logs and I have put over 240 walleye in the boat this year. Obviously not all were kept, but even looking at that compared to what I may have spent on spoons, gear, rods, gas, boat maintenance and such I guarantee I am still losing! I know you were most likely just making a point about catching fish but just go out there and have fun and enjoy being on the water.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ive been hearind it from my mom since I was a little kid every time I picked up new tackle..."you can buy alot of fish for what you pay for that stuff"... but who wants to buy there fish.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Its not about cost, if you like fishing its about having fun. Every hobby costs money - this is no different. Every time I get on the water its like a mini vacation and I'm only 30 minutes from home. I like vacations! We all can buy fish from the store but thats not the point. Being at/or on the water is the key. Whether you shore, boat or charter fish its what makes you happy! One bonus for you is, the more you fish the more you'll learn, season after season your bound to catch more fish!!!

·
Registered
958 Posts
I agree, if you look at the true cost per pound of the fish you catch then you shouldn't be fishing. H3ll just the cost of crawlers alone when the dinks are going nuts makes the cost per pound way over what you buy them for at the grocery/market.

This is a case of enjoy what you're doing and don't think about the $$ invested. IF you dwell on it you'll go

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(DR.hook @ Aug 21 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>this has been one of the best years for me also.Even for the walleyes.. if you cant catch a fish at fletchers your doing something wrong.. ill be at the flood on labor day weekend..

The week I was there was the windiest anyone could remember. Whitecaps five days out of six, heavy rain on the seventh. Found weed beds by watching for breaking waves. Damnedest thing I ever saw. Just bad luck really. Did good the one nice day. Caught fish, lost several lures, hit a log or two.

·
Registered
958 Posts
QUOTE(Zolton @ Aug 21 2009, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bass Pro Shop and Cabela's list me as an asset on their books.

ME TOO!!!!! They could consider me a sponsor.
If you think of it in terms of investment vs reward you are going about it in the wrong way.
Its like any sport unless you are pro you will never get your investment back. You do it because you love it and want to do it.

PS: this is Tami. Heimskr is on my computer so I stole his!

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
QUOTE(Zolton @ Aug 21 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DR.hook @ Aug 21 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>this has been one of the best years for me also.Even for the walleyes.. if you cant catch a fish at fletchers your doing something wrong.. ill be at the flood on labor day weekend..

The week I was there was the windiest anyone could remember. Whitecaps five days out of six, heavy rain on the seventh. Found weed beds by watching for breaking waves. Damnedest thing I ever saw. Just bad luck really. Did good the one nice day. Caught fish, lost several lures, hit a log or two.

ya i hear that.... im stocking up on spinner baits at wallmart there only 75 cents 1.00 for buzz baits ill buy a dozen of each that might last the weekend but you never know... where did you stay at? where saying at lyons landing...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(heimskr @ Aug 21 2009, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I agree, if you look at the true cost per pound of the fish you catch then you shouldn't be fishing. H3ll just the cost of crawlers alone when the dinks are going nuts makes the cost per pound way over what you buy them for at the grocery/market.

This is a case of enjoy what you're doing and don't think about the $ invested. IF you dwell on it you'll go

That $1000 a pound is actually a family joke. Goes back to when I bought the first boat years ago. More of a measuring stick then an economic factor.
I'm 62 years old and generally I break the "grand barrier" in early July. For reasons I don't begin to fathom this is the year of the skunk. I assumed, based on years of experience, that once again having a boat, even a little one, would give me access to many more fish. It always did, with out fail.
When did I insult an old gypsy woman?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Try putting a price on sanity.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
you cant compare money vs hobbies, once the word hobby is mentioned...theres a bunch of money behind it.

i should post pics of my RC addiction, LOL i have 9 cars and a fan boat. i honestly DONT want to know how much has been invested in these. my RC10GT has atleast $600 into it, and what makes it great.....i found it in a garbage can down the street after someone got evicted.

including my PS3, it has about $1800 on it, then HAAAAD to buy a 1080p for the best picture, so its over 3k with the tv. but i play video games ALOT. and thats being shy about it.

fishing to me....is a hobby, it doesnt matter what it costs(to A point) as long as you enjoy it. i have more lures and bs in my tackle box than ill ever use. i search4perch, and thats about it.

i think you really need to find some fish, then your not comparing, you'll be to happy to catching instead of hoping.

GL Zolton

1 - 20 of 20 Posts