Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know what the cost of a high quality rebuilt 350/5.7 chevy marine engine, for a 1996 boat, the price im quoted at the repair facility seems high

dont want a jasper piece of crap rebuild and dont want to wait 2 months to get it either, should come with a good warrenty

any help?

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
there is a place in clawson ive seen called d&j engine rebuilders marine and racing . on elmwood street . ive heard they are pretty decent could try calling them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had a 305 removed by a marine shop and their price for rebuild was very high, i called d&j and they came and picked it up and delivered it back to the shop when done. Still cost about $3,500 for everything!!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Deuce: are you just now getting a quote? they haven't started any work yet? seems to have been a while already.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, the engine is pulled and torn apart, both outdrive drives off, i just got the final estimate, they have a lot of hours into the boat already for removal and diagnosis of problem, so if i decide to take somewhere else i still owe them money and i will just have a pile of parts to crate around (and no trailer). Kinda in a bind. They quoted what seems to be a very high price for a replacement 350 (seems about 1000 too high - which i would gladly pay if i was GUARANTEED no problems - but thats not gonna happen).

The boat died hottiefest, they can have the boat done by next weekend so it would be a total of 4 weeks i think.

I'm figuring the cost of shopping it around, not having the boat for the rest of the season, vs. just paying them the high cost and at least having it for a little longer to use this year.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
2-5, check with Mr. Goodwrench, I think you can get one of their new/rebuilt crate engines for $2,500/330hp to $4,500/ 355hp. 4 bolt mains, vortec heads, warranty, etc.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Talk to them over at Dynamic Speed & marine @ Jefferson, just south of Selfridge. My address book is not working, so just do a whitepages.com If you do call, tell them Lisa Bewick recommended you. Good friends of ours.....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Iwas going to say the same . the 330 hp 350 has the fast burn heads though still a good deal for 2500. but you do have to tell them it's marine application though. I could be mistaken but the cams are different from an auto to marine. I am thinking about doing it this winter.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help, heres the problem, I can't shop it around to different places (the boat is torn apart, no outdrive, engine out, no trailer to move boat). I'm just looking for a replacement engine, the one they took out can't be rebuilt (its a piece of crap thats already been rebuilt twice - 40 bore or something like that). I need a complete setup, new or reman/rebuilt.

PS. I've heard its not a good idea to put a engine meant for a car into a boat, it can be done but the specs are different and will cause nothing but problems in the long run.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Deuce-Five @ Aug 7 2003, 09:51 AM)PS. I've heard its not a good idea to put a engine meant for a car into a boat, it can be done but the specs are different and will cause nothing but problems in the long run.
That's right......Good luck, Deuce!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Talked to repair facility, i guess the price they quoted was for a "new" engine, not rebuilt/reman. What would be the advantage of getting new vs. a rebuild, considering the warrenty was the same (1 year).

·
12,052 Posts
I was at Dynamic on monday and he has some short blocks sitting on skids. His info is on the LSCN site under businesses. Number is 586-949-5990, talk to Ron. I thought they were around $1800.00

·
Registered
57 Posts
Give Lenny at Millennyum Marine a call 586-468-7361
He runs probably the most honest and fair priced shop on the lake. He has his own machine shop so he can completely rebuild and reinstall right under one roof.

Ron at Dynamic also does a great shop but , his prices are quite a bit higher than most.

·
Registered
331 Posts
When I was wrenching on cars for a living we used a place in detroit called Motor Rebuilders. Third Generation owner and they do great work. I believe the guys name was Mike. The phone number is 1-313-891-1170. He does excellent work. He lives by 16 & Groesbeck so he might even be able to pickup your old one and drop of the new one. Ususlly a three day turn around. Good Luck. He does do marine engines and he pretty decent on price.

Rob

·
LSCN Sponsor
283 Posts
1k-1800 is a good price for a rebuilt small block. there is a place in the Scuttlebut magazine out of ohio, they have good prices and do good work. if you need to get second options.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I just found reman long blocks where I keep my boat. $1695 Canadian dollars plus tax. Doubt most will be able to beat that price!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.