Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(givemethe @ Feb 18 2010, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Dr Huxtable @ Feb 18 2010, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can I use the 6" mora blades on an eskimo auger? Or would that muck it up?

pike kinda tastes gross to me. is there any special way that you cook it? isn't it kinda tricky to clean too?

We hav eno idea how to cook or clean it LOL. An old teacher and friend of mine is going to show us how.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Uh, you need to do a better job of IDing your fish. That is a musky. They are not in season. I don't think that one mistake will ruin the entire ecosystem, but do yourself a favor and take a look at that fish next to some pictures of a pike so you know the difference next time.

And on that note.....I'm gonna hold my tongue.

·
Registered
692 Posts
QUOTE(tai @ Feb 18 2010, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its hard to see the pikes tail but its at or just short of 37 inches.

How did you catch the perch, with dynamite? I was at cotton road today too, but the bite was slow to say the least. Jigging, minnows, various ice spoons, waxies...nothing would work except on the dinks. Caught 8 but nothing 6" or over, so no keepers. Tried the shallows, the deeper parts, but today was lockjaw day for decent sized perch.
Of course, right at dark, the bite improved a little, but again dinks...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uhh.. oh boy. We're so sorry you guys. We thought it was a pike because it was near the top of the ice... How can you tell the difference?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Joe G @ Feb 18 2010, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tai @ Feb 18 2010, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its hard to see the pikes tail but its at or just short of 37 inches.

How did you catch the perch, with dynamite? I was at cotton road today too, but the bite was slow to say the least. Jigging, minnows, various ice spoons, waxies...nothing would work except on the dinks. Caught 8 but nothing 6" or over, so no keepers. Tried the shallows, the deeper parts, but today was lockjaw day for decent sized perch.
Of course, right at dark, the bite improved a little, but again dinks...

The perch came in late, and we used minnows in 6 fow.

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE(givemethe @ Feb 18 2010, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Dr Huxtable @ Feb 18 2010, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can I use the 6" mora blades on an eskimo auger? Or would that muck it up?

pike kinda tastes gross to me. is there any special way that you cook it? isn't it kinda tricky to clean too?

where did that quote come from? its from a completely different thread. odd glitch

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
This isn't the end of the world. Take a look at the pic that Basstek posted of a pike in the water in a spearing hole. It was in a thread regarding musky and pike ID. It was about a week ago and I think that b_radici started the thread.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(little guy @ Feb 18 2010, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This isn't the end of the world. Take a look at the pic that Basstek posted of a pike in the water in a spearing hole. It was in a thread regarding musky and pike ID. It was about a week ago and I think that b_radici started the thread.

Thanks little guy. Im going to find that so this never happens again. I know its not the end of the world, but i feel terrible about it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the record, this is the last time we spear anything but a perch. Im pretty sure were not the first to do this. But could a moderator close or delete this thread please?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
QUOTE(tai @ Feb 18 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For the record, this is the last time we spear anything but a perch. Im pretty sure were not the first to do this. But could a moderator close or delete this thread please?

Hey bud, take a look a couple pages back, I started a thread on difference between pike and musky. You made a mistake, not the smallest mistake you could make, but it happens. Everyone on here should be here to help each other out, so no need for anyone to slam Tai. He didnt know, and I'm sure he feels horrible about it. No need to quit spearing just because you screwed up. People don't quit driving just because they've had an accident. Learn from your mistakes and move on. Kudos on recognizing you screwed up and not being an a**hole about it.

·
Banned
36 Posts
I heard about some other musky being speared recently. Apparently people aren't smart anough to know the difference so maybe there needs to be a ban on spearing for pike on st clair. I have seen a lot of musky and pike through the holes this winter and there is a big difference between the 2.

·
Registered
172 Posts
not the end of the world, just do a little better identifying your fish before you throw the iron. anyone on here duck hunt? bet you've all shot birds you shouldn't have. or anyone plugged a button buck when they thought they were shooting at a doe? heard a story bout some cats who shot "the biggest doe you've ever seen" long time ago, braggin at the bar, brought someguys out to the parking lot to check it out, ended up being a donkey. urban legend i'm sure, but the spear is a one shot deal, you don't get to send it back.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.