Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out at cotton the last two evenings (tuesday and wednesday). For the heck of it, I stayed real close to shore. About 3 feet of water. Although I couldn't get any of them hooked, I saw more jumbos then ever. They seem to like the wigglers most. I was jigging them on the bottom and they seemed to come in and hit the bait with a vengance! I fed a lot of fish the last couple of days, I don't know maybe I'll do better with smaller hooks.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Top Gun,

I have been going through the same experience, which led me to buy some smaller hooks. I am going out today (Thursday) and I plan on using the smaller hooks. I will let you know how I do.

Shaggy

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Smaller hooks didn't seem to help me. They seemed to be able to get the wiggler off the smaller hook easier. I used wax worms on a smaller hook and the fish couldn't pull that off, but they didn't seem too interested in wax worms. I had better luck using a small Swedish pimple. The fish seemed to have a harder time getting loose from the treble hook.

Shaggy,

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shaggy,
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try. Where were you and did you fish deep or shallow water?

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
Top Gun...

Kind of seems like the same kind of thing that I was experiencing... jigging right on the bottom drives them nuts! Just like last summer out near the lighthouse. The group of fish near that area seemed to respond better to the use of a mudder anchor. A mudder is no more than a 6 or 8lb mushroom anchor, banged on the bottom to stir up the silt/sand, or tied at the just the right length that the wave action caused it to do the same thing.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Top Gun,

I move around a lot so I don't have an exact location. I usually start close to shore in front of Sulferidge launch and work my way out and to the south. I was fishing in about 5 feet of water. It doesn't seem to get very deep on Anchor Bay. If you don't see fish within 15 to 20 minutes I would pick up and move. I see a lot of perch, but they don't bite. They pick at the bait or stare at it and move on. This is my first year fishing Sulferidge so I am still exploring. The perch seem to be constantly on the move so I try to move with them. I will probably start heading north this weekend to see if things are any better.

Shaggy

·
Registered
110 Posts
North isnt much better guys,

I fish just north of cotton road and I get the same thing.
the perch come in and just stare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts