Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between the boat ramp and Gull Island I have had a 1/2 dozen boats drifting into mine without the drivers realizing it and having to make a mad dash to keep them from colliding. One woman I was shouting to stop her boat from hitting mine in the ramp her husband was falling off the other side of the boat in the water. Its been wild.

Leaving the Clinton River it got to be the standing joke, someone is going to rip across the channel from the North side and make us shut down while we have the right of way.

Leaving Gull Island Saturday I was anchored outside off the end of the raft. We had motors running untied from the boat next to us and someone on my deck getting ready to pull the anchor. A boat come in and I told him twice we were leaving, I got nothing but dumb looks and they proceeded to pull in front from of me, tie up to the raft, block me in, and park over top of my anchor. Then the boat next to me had to pull anchor so I could get out. One minute to pull out that's all I needed and then they tell the guy on my bow to tell me not to get so "pissy". At least someone jumped off their boat and pulled out my anchor from under their boat. If you are on the board and know who you are, just try to show some courtesy when out on the lake.

All in all it was a great weekend, but man we have a lot of people out there that could use a good boaters safety class and more patience.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. Every time I'm out on the water I count the number of times that I get cut off, failure to yield, no wake violations, violating the 200ft rule, etc... you name it, we've al probably already seen it. Your right, it is a joke. But with no one to enforce the rules, what can you do?

I know what I'd like to do. Pull out my pistol and shoot a hole or 2 into the bottom of these boats so that they'd have to get off the water or sink!!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
I know how you feel, I was coming into the clinton channel when a large cruiser 35 ft plus cut right across it. I thought he was going to hit the marker bouys. When I was leaving the moot a small bowrider was ideling along side me. They decided that they wanted to cut in front of me and without looking crossed in front of my bow about 2 ft away. We were going slow so it was no problem but the lack of courtesy is appaling. I told the driver to have another beer, they just looked at me like duhhhhh.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I almost had two big boats hit mine in the Moot yesterday when everyone decided to leave. Just ridiculous to see that no one pays attention out there. I contribute most of it to alcohol.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
All of the above is reason enough for me to avoid places like Muskamoot and Gull.
I just don't have the patience to deal with these idiots.
I wouldn't have a good time. I'd be watching my boat the whole time to make sure it didn't get hit.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
OK..its Monday and I am already in a bad mood about the post of the hit and run stuff...but WOW! You would think that people would just relax a little and pay attention and learn that Gull, The Moot, and the boat launch are ALL very busy and at times high stress areas for boating. Time after time it seems there is always an idiot who feels they are the only ones who matter. I say take time to make time to make sure you boating skills and education are current....if not...TAKE A CLASS...you will learn a ton.

just .02...I hope everyone has a great day

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
Amen to that ......... I am never in a hurry on the water so even if I have the right of way if it looks like someone isnt paying attention Ill back down.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Manana,
Thats exacty it. I was gonna just sit tight for a whila nd wait till most of the "gotta go" people left. I almost got hit. I agree that most of these people need boat training, but they can't train common sense.

G

·
Here is the stupidest boater move for the weekend:

Did anybody see the small boat TOWING A SKI'ER in the Moot about 6:30. When most of the boats were leaving.
I wish I had my camara out at that moment.
Yah! Some bonehead is pulling a ski'er out of the water while 50 boats are hell bent for the horizon. What a site. Someone could have easly gotten killed.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bayley, I told you the rule, own a boat and tell everyone don't plan any weddings, funerals, showers, or great-grandma Ethel's 93rd birthday bashes between Memorial Day and Labor Day 'cause I ain't gonna make it!

Don't worry, I didn't let it spoil one hell of a nice weekend. I didn't want to sound like I was moaning, just would like to see people get better educated before getting out on the Lake. Scary part, anybody with credit can go buy any boat and drop it in the lake and go. Most of the mistakes made I think are from lack of knowledge versus being intentional idiots.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Aggressor,

I used to think that. But I've come to learn that people who make the mistakes are the ones who don't take the time to learn how to operate a boat. Or maintain a boat. More importantly, they don't care to learn either, and keep repeating their behavior. They're cluless as to how dangerous being uneducated/unprepared can be.

I've done some boating out on the New England coast, and let me tell you, you gotta have your sh!t together. Very easy to get lost, and if something goes wrong off shore, next stop Europe 2500 miles away. Long way to drift.

I come to the realization that there's 2 type of boaters. Those who love to boat and partying is just a part for the desire to be on the water, and there are those who only have a boat to get to the parrty. Nothing wrong with either one. But guess on which boat you'l find a more knowledgeable, safer boater?

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I've boated on the East coast as well and it's very important to follow a chart. The water is much bigger out there
I love it out there, though......Maryland Blue Crab, ymmy!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Jun 23 2003, 09:56 PM)I've boated on the East coast as well and it's very important to follow a chart. The water is much bigger out there
I love it out there, though......Maryland Blue Crab, ymmy!
Was just out there at the beginning of the month. Had blue crab the first time on the first nigght there. Man what a lot of work for a little bit of meat. Granted, it is very good, but it took forever to get enough to eat. I'll take Lobster anytime over blue crab.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor253 @ Jun 23 2003, 10:01 PM)I would love to try M. Blue Crab!!!!!!!!!!

You can have it shipped to your house! As Spider said, it's lots of work eating it (3crabs doesn't like playing w/his food either, wants to eat,lol)but, I think it's worth it! Great with fresh corn on the cob and ice cold beer! I like the soft crab, you eat the whole thing! It's lightly battered and sautéed in butter.......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts