Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
So I posted a couple of ads on Craigslist last night, one for some Samsung camcorders and another for a high-end Sony high-definition video camera (calling this thing a camcorder is an insult, but I digress...). This morning I have two e-mails on the Sony, one from "Janet Harris" and another from "Raymond Richard", both with gmail addresses as returns.

"Raymond" wonders:

QUOTEIs Your Item Still Available?

and my good friend Janet says:

QUOTEGet back to me with the latest picture and the last price of the posted item..

Thanks
Janet

Now, I realize some folks may have issues with diction or capitalization, but I don't know too many folks that say "item" when they are asking about a camera, nor Use A Capital Letter For Every Word In A Sentence. And Janet apparently missed the not 1, not 2, but 3 pictures of the "item" along with the price right there in the title of the post. These are obviously auto-trolls that are kicked off for certain items, and they must have a price triggger - the $100 Samsungs didn't get any response, but the $1800 Sony got two.

I'm just waiting for my good friends from university in Nigeria to send me a cashier's check for $4500 and I'll be all set....

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
second one maybe, but i often send an email simply saying "is this still available"

don't be so paranoid......

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would be worried about some guy with 10 pretty much brand new camcorders laying around? Have receipts for those?
Just teasing you, hope you are able to sell them.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Goose @ Jul 1 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>second one maybe, but i often send an email simply saying "is this still available"

don't be so paranoid......

I'll bet you $100 right now that both of those are scams.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Yeah, there is something out there. I posted something last week and the next morning had about 10 responses. All with totally random questions.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
But once you weed through the spam, craigslist is an awesome place to sell things.
Ive sold on craigslist:
2 cars
1 weedwacker
1 generator
1 cell phone
1 big screen Sony
2 Blackberries

Ive bought off craigslist:
1 - Saturn Dinghy w/motor (Thanks JP!)

A 2 year old riding mower - delivered to my house - with extras (grass bagger). Same mower selling for $2000, got it for less than half.
2 new Potenza's (tires) $45/ea installed for Brians car ($160/ea tires)
1 blackberry Pearl
1 car

Im sure there a ton of other things I have sold and bought on craigslist... but if you think about the fees you would've paid through Ebay and paypal, shipping... craigslist is a great asset!

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
In my experience....it's a mixed bag...

We sold our boat off craig's list in what...less than two weeks ??
thanks to Stodge and Tig's outstanding job with pics and a web page

My DIL who is a clothes finatic sells her designer label items very quickly on Ebay

My firepit and furniture never even made it to any list except mentioning it here

Like anything else...you have to weed through the nonsense and get down to the nitty gritty.

I'm sure most sensible peeps can tell the difference

Good luck to you, DockRocker

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My boy Raymond has replied. I'm sure you'll be as shocked as I am....

QUOTEHello,

Glad to read from you. I'm really interested in the unit but i'm so sorry as i won't be able to come for a look as i'm the busy type. Well, i'll keep in touch with my financier to mail a check for the amount you're requesting and will have a shipping company to come for the pick up as soon as you confirm to me that you receive the check and it clears your bank.
If this arrangement is acceptable, pls get back to me with your name as it will appear on the check and your contact address that the check will be mail to along with your cell #. Please write back as soon as possible so we can proceed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(dockrocker @ Jul 1 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My boy Raymond has replied. I'm sure you'll be as shocked as I am....

QUOTEHello,

Glad to read from you. I'm really interested in the unit but i'm so sorry as i won't be able to come for a look as i'm the busy type. Well, i'll keep in touch with my financier to mail a check for the amount you're requesting and will have a shipping company to come for the pick up as soon as you confirm to me that you receive the check and it clears your bank.
If this arrangement is acceptable, pls get back to me with your name as it will appear on the check and your contact address that the check will be mail to along with your cell #. Please write back as soon as possible so we can proceed.

Thanks.

Do they all share a book of email text? OMG classic. Tell him you can only do EFT transactions to your accont in the Cayman Islands, no cashier's checks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts