Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Refresh my memory is it tight wiggling crankbaits that are better for bass in the spring or wide wobblers? And whatever one it is, why is that? And why is the other type better for later in the year? Thanks. Go Wings.

·
Registered
927 Posts
wide wobbling cranks work well is very warm water. it represents a baitfish that is sluggish due to the higher water temps ( so i have read anyway )

just the opposite with colder water and tight wigglers. when the water is colder the little fishies have a tight wiggle when moving. its like when you get into a cold car in the winter time. your whole body is stiff and you dont want to move anymore than you have to.

i wouldnt pay too much attention to that tho. find a crankbait you like and try it in different times of the year.

one of my favorites is a storm mid wart. that sucker rolls in the water. it has a very wide wobble to it. but this is a top producer for me when the water temps are still in the 40s and 50s.

and on the other hand, rattle traps produce alot of fish for me in the summer. i dont think they make a tighter wiggling bait than a trap.

just play and experiment. trying to go by the book all the time will leave you disappointed and confused, believe me i know.

go wings????

madman himself

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I would just say always try both and let the bass tell you which one they prefer and when.

Start with tight wiggle in clear water and wide wobble in muddy water. (You have to start somewhere, right?)

·
Registered
10,622 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Eric,

I think you should sell all your stuff to me and take up slow pitch softball.........lol

I would agree that you should try both however, tight wobble normally will work best in cold water. Tim and I were using blade baits last weekend in 46-48 degree water and the the smallie loved them. I have to think that another 5 degree bump will make it even better.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I will throw a wide wobble crankbait all year long, regardless of the water temps. Like Dan said, throw both and see which the fish likes better. I've been catching fish out on Kent using Mann's minus, Bandits and Warts and have caught bass on all of them. In fact, the better quality fish have come off of these baits versus a rattletrap...go figure...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts