Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've read contradicting articles on using snaps on crankbaits/rattletraps. Just wanted to get some input from the network. Do most guys use a snap on their line clipped to the "O" ring on the crankbait/rattletrap or do most guys just tie their line directly to the "O" ring on the crankbait/rattletrap??

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Basschaser,

I tie everything on direct. About the only time I use a swivel, is when i'm trolling for walleye and don't want the line to get all twisted. I have even taken off the snap ring, and tied right on the lure.

I'm sure the jury is still out on this, but I feel a snap swivel changes the action of the lure.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Basschaser:

Scoop on Snaps. There's a time and place for everything. Most lures are best tied direct, but lets say a Zara Spook is best with a snap, now that's not a snap swivel. Under no circumstance do you want to use a snap swivel attached directly to a Zara it destroys the action and other delicately balanced lures.

Now lets say a in-line spinner in heavy current means line twist so tie a swivel using 12 inch's of leader tied to the lure. You can still use a snap on your lure.

Don't use a split ring and snap togeather "never", one or the other. I'll take the split ring off lures that come with them. Using a # 2-3 interlocking snap makes changing lures a fast chore.

So some cranks come with a snap why you ask,, it makes that baby wobble like crazy.

So i'd say use a snap on most baits and tie direct also. See what works best for your situation.

If you want swivels i recommend Shampo.... They are excellent.

h2o<says hope this helps

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
99% of the time, I use a small snap to ease changing cranbaits (most hard baits of all kinds - top to bottom) and retying. I use round-bend snaps with no swivel for any non-twisting lure and hook them the the split ring. I've been doing that over 20 years.

Most regular crankbaits, I can't tell any difference and I rarely get outfished when it comes to crankbaits. I've taken split off some of the new 'pretty' fancy lures. If the lure is really light and sensitive, it makes a difference then.

I think you should just try with and without on the same day several times and see if it makes a difference. I can't prove it does, so I go with convenience and incentive to retie more often. Until I see clear evidence there is a difference, I'm keeping it the same.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I rarely use any type of snap. Now that I think about it I am not sure if I have any in the boat. Traps and Fat Raps are my favorite two baits and I always have one of each tied on.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I use a snap with no swivel most of the time for crankbaits. Like DJK, over the years I have tried crankbaits with the line tied directly and with a snap. I have noticed no difference in how the lure catches fish. So I prefer to use the snap which allows for a quick change. The only negative I've found with the snap is when there are clumps of algae in the area I'm fishing. The snap catches more of the slimy crud than a split ring, which, of course, makes it more time consuming to clean off.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
NO snap for me unless I am playing with color selection. I think, and this is my opinion, that if a split ring is on the line tie, you dont need a snap.

I always add a split ring to the nose of a spook, even though I was told by the topwater god himself Zell Rowland that you dont need one. I still use it (and I outfished Zell that day
)

Mini

·
Registered
319 Posts
I tie direct with no snap. I use light line and have to retie so much that a snap wouldn't help me that much. I have a problem trusting those little snaps.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I'll bet I can catch as many Bass with a ball bearing snap and swivel on a Rattle Trap as any one can without one. If your using bucktails or spoons without a swivel your asking for trouble with line twist especially with light line. A snap on the front of a Rapala works just as well as tying a loop in your line and it makes for faster changing and saves your teeth
Bob

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use a 60 lb Berkley cross lok snap when fishing crankbaits and rattle traps. So far I have not had one break on me but when fishing a tournament I will change to a new snap if the wire looks bent out of shape.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The whole idea is to maximize the lures presentation based on it's design and maufacture's recommendations.

If a bait has a wide wobble and the manufcturer provides a round split ring then tie to the spit ring. The round split ring provides the lure with the freedom to wobble properly. I believe that if the split ring is removed and the line is tied directly, then the lure will wobble more tightly.

Any type of round bend snap or swivel will also provide this freedom of movement and will work perfectly as a replacement to the split ring. But I wouldn't recommend attaching a snap to a split ring.

I'm a big fan of snaps when fishing crank baits because I don't have any confidence in them so I change frequently. It's funny because I can fish the same spinnerbait or soft plastics all day with out getting bit, but if I don't catch a fish on a crank bait in 3 casts...I change it...LOL

I fish with my boys a lot and keep snaps on their rods because kids LOVE changing lures. They are still too young to tie good knots but they can operate a snap easily which gives me more time to fish.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Hey, let's add to the clarity of this topic by stating how much of the time you actually throw a crankbait. Let's see... I've seen Mini throw Spooks and tubes for bass. I don't know if I've ever seen you throw anything else. I'm sure you have... once or twice.

Who throws crankbaits more than a couple times a year and how often, and how much of the time do you throw them. Heck, all I ever see guys throwing anywhere on St. Clair or Erie are tubes with a rare switch to a spinnerbait just to keep them honest!

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Cranks & traps, never heard of them...

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Well I guess we dont fish close enough to each other Dan....OR your eyesight is just that bad...lol
With Three cranking rods and about 6 boxes of various crankbaits....I think Alex is right...I dont throw them

Mini

·
Registered
163 Posts
Rick Clunn says to always use a good quality snap when throwing crankbaits, wether it has a split ring or not. I always add a split ring to my cranks, and this year I'm gonna try the snaps. I'll let you know how it works.

Craig

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Last June for the first BFL, I was whacking slightly bigger bass on red Spots (my brand of Trap). Some guys who found out wouldn't even talk to me. Many backed away like I was a leper. It was probably worse than what I saw (my eyes are getting bad and...) I was too busy yelling NET!

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Honestly, I throw them quite a bit. But I throw just about everything and throw a tube less then most. Of course it all depends on the situation. Last year I found myself with a tube rod in my hand more than in the past.

I always tie directly on without a snap. I can't see any advantage a snap would give you on a trap. Sinces it has a pretty tight wobble and the main attracters are the flash and sound anyway. For cranks, I guess it would be a matter of experimenting. It would certianly effect the action (depth & action). Not saying whether that is good or bad. It would really depends on the crank and the fishes mood that day. It would be interesting to see if you could get fish to turn back on by adding a snap (or vice versa). I've always had confidence in tying the baits I use directly to the line with a standard polymar knot. So I've never really experimented. Maybe I should.

There is a knot you can tie that will give you a loop for cranks and jerkbaits. It will give the bait more action. I don't mainly because I'm all thumbs when it comes to re-tying. But I know some that do. Here's a link:
Rapala Knot

If your fishing with kids or others that are out just to have fun a snap would definitely be the way to go for quicker lure changes and less hassle.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. Well it looks like a draw. Some guys will tie there line to the split ring, and some guys will use a snap with no split ring. Looks like there's really no big difference with the expception of changing lures quicker on the snap. Looks like personal preference.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I throw Rattle Traps and other lip less style cranks more than the traditional cranks because historically I've caught more fish on them. I used them a lot last spring because I was new to St. Clair and traps allowed me to cover alot water faster. I know guys catch lots of fish on cranks and I wish I could force my self to try and learn to use them more effectively.

I've never fished a tube in my life until I moved out here where everyone is all tubes, tubes, tubes. So of course I bought a bunch and tried them. They work good but they don't keep me busy enough. I love chuckin' and windin', that's why spinnner baits are my favorite.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts