Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my first trip to st clair in about 5 yrs I decided to fish how I fish in sag bay. Thunder sticks and hot n tos. We pulled 8 eyes about 2 miles north of the SCL And the last 7 on our way in to the crooker road launch. Thunder sticks were 100-125' back in 17' of water and the hot n tots were 75- 100' back. My speed varied between 2.7 and 3.7. Fish were between 18 aznd 21 inches. If you try this just be patient you will have to clear some weeds of the lures. I stop this by putting an empty snap from a snap weight kit about 5' up the line. I dont know why I even spent the time driving to sag bay. I will try to post some pics tomarrow

Steve

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I love long lining for smallies out in the lake with big Storms or Husky Jerks. NOTHING beats the hits, the screaming drag, on those lil bass rods lol My Husky's I like the blue/silver/orange combo
Not much help for your Eye's, but.....definately will get you some action! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Aug 24 2009, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love long lining for smallies out in the lake with big Storms or Husky Jerks. NOTHING beats the hits, the screaming drag, on those lil bass rods lol My Husky's I like the blue/silver/orange combo
Not much help for your Eye's, but.....definately will get you some action! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The purple and blaze orange H n T and the deep jr thunder sticks the blue with red lip and the fire tiger prism were thr hotest yester day. And I was just looking at my gps all the fish were hooked @ 3mph 3.3 on the gps. Well be heading out again thurs to try for a repeat. It sure beats driving 1.5 hrs to fish sag bay

Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
try the rapala jointed shad rap trolled the same way. my buddies dont have the patience or the abilty to cast all day so when i them, i troll. this year in mitchell bay, we were catching about 75 fish a day using the same method. we limited out all days in walleye and caught every species in the lake. you never know what is going to be on your line! PERCH colored or chartruese is all i use.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i got an eye and a couple pig smallies on a rapala tail dancer the other day and have caught a lot of pike casting it up north on a private lake one of my favorite lures for trolling or casting any thing deeper than about 12'

·
Registered
82 Posts
if you are having problems with weeds. Put on a weight with a snap(like a 1 oz) and it will catch all the weeds. I have been fishing same area with good results(not as many walleye, but more other fish)

let out 75 feet....put on snap weight.....let out 25 more feet, just so snap weight is under water.

it will keep lines cleaner

good luck

·
Registered
152 Posts
QUOTE(fife @ Aug 26 2009, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if you are having problems with weeds. Put on a weight with a snap(like a 1 oz) and it will catch all the weeds. I have been fishing same area with good results(not as many walleye, but more other fish)

let out 75 feet....put on snap weight.....let out 25 more feet, just so snap weight is under water.

it will keep lines cleaner

good luck

no lure on that line right just the weight?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
put on lure

decide how far back you want to run the lure to get it to dive to a strategic depth (example = a 1/4 oz tot will run 8 ft down with 40 ft of 10# test)

let out that amount of line.

Put on a snapweight.

let out just enough line to allow weight to hang and drag just under the surface of the water.

snapweight will catch most of the floating weeds and keep them from fouling your lure.

·
Registered
152 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Aug 27 2009, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>put on lure

decide how far back you want to run the lure to get it to dive to a strategic depth (example = a 1/4 oz tot will run 8 ft down with 40 ft of 10# test)

let out that amount of line.

Put on a snapweight.

let out just enough line to allow weight to hang and drag just under the surface of the water.

snapweight will catch most of the floating weeds and keep them from fouling your lure.

sweet

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.