Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went 4/4 red barn started fishing around 700 till dark but caught this one what the hell happened to it we were afraid to touch it we used gloves
Water Vertebrate Mammal Fisherman Fish

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Thats pretty wierd. Looks like flesh eating bacteria or some kind of infection. What ever it is you might want to send that photo over to the Canadian DNR or the MIDNR to see if they have seen anything like it before.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Wow, if that fish was legal, I think I may have culled her. She's dying a slow death, and if it is something contageous, best to get her out of the system. I'd definately send pics to whatever agency you caught her out of.

It looks remarkably uniform in shape. Wow.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jul 31 2009, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow, if that fish was legal, I think I may have culled her. She's dying a slow death, and if it is something contageous, best to get her out of the system. I'd definately send pics to whatever agency you caught her out of.

After the "poacher" post you just shut down i'm afraid to say this but yeah I think that one would have ridden back to the dock with me and reported to the DNR no matter what size. That is wierd.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(---FISHON--- @ Jul 31 2009, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jul 31 2009, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Wow, if that fish was legal, I think I may have culled her. She's dying a slow death, and if it is something contageous, best to get her out of the system. I'd definately send pics to whatever agency you caught her out of.

After the "poacher" post you just shut down i'm afraid to say this but yeah I think that one would have ridden back to the dock with me and reported to the DNR no matter what size. That is wierd.

That would be a tough call. You're doing it for the betterment of the system and the sake of the fish, but at the same time all it'd take would be a jerk CO to get you on it. But in the end, I'd probably make the same call I'd make were I to gill hook a fish or be unable to revive a non-legal fish....let it go and let nature take it's course.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 31 2009, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks like someone cut that section out of the Musky if you ask me.....and that is the result of infection.

Agreed, which is why I said what I said about it being remarkably uniform. Looks like it was cut evenly all the way around.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
looks like a flesh eating bacteria or someone took a chunk of it for a musky skin boot.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Looks like there are bigger muskies in there than we thought...

But I have heard of muskies investigating boats and such. Maybe this one had a close encounter with a propeller, and it got infected. Appears consistent with such a possibility.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it looks like the scales were actually growing back in that spot and for keeping him we were iffy cause we didnt want what ever itwas in the boat but i do want to send the pic to somebody

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Send it to Mike Thomas. He is a DNR biologist and a member of this site. Get his contact info from the members list on this site and it will supply you with either his E-mail address or PM info. He`ll help you out. Let us know the results. That is some weird looking stuff. It does look cut out.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Wow...The scales/skin was growing back? Amazingly delicate yet hardy all at once. Seeing the skin growing back would have made culling the fish a hard call but for the health of the fishery I think culling would have been a good move. Drop it off at the DNR. As far as boat contamination goes a little bleach would solve that when you wash it down. Assuming you trailer it of course.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.