Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year was my first year on Lake St. Clair. Had a blast. Ruined me for fishing inland.
We kept running into people that were heading over to the Canadian side. Sounded like it was worth a trip.
Last year we used the MI DNR site at 15 mile, and fished the mile roads.

Questions are:
If we want to go to Canada by boat, does one need to check in with Canadian Customs, and if so where do we go, and or how do we do it? (thinking about fishing the Belle River Hump)

Coming from Howell, would it be better to cross over at the Bridge into Canada and drive to that area in Canada? (if so, what boat launches?)

Leaving from the boat ramp at 15 mile, about how long does it take to get to the Belle Hump?

Is the fishing really any better over there, or should we just stay home here in Michigan?

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
What kind of boat and motor do you have?

h2o<--says that will determine what you should do and the weather for that day.

·
Formerly &quot;FRL&quot;
930 Posts
Launching out of CRCO (Clinton River Cut-off) the launch you launch at, it is much faster to get to the hump via water. Depending on boat size, water conditions and how fast you drive you should be able to get there in less than 30 Min. It would take you much longer than that to drive around.

If you're going to fish Canadian waters don't anchor your boat. Once you anchor your boat you are on Canadian land and must clear customs.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If you do decide to drive over, there is a nice launch at the mouth of the Belle River.
FRL is correct. You are not supposed to anchor, tie-off to any permanent structure or set foot on Canadian soil without contacting Canadian Customs.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Fishing Canada has several advantages, less then 10% of the boat traffic you find in US waters, Fish aren’t as pressured there, don’t get me wrong they still get pressure but not as much as the US side. Once you learn the lake you will find there are times that it isn’t worth it because you can find good fish closer to home but it puts one more option in your pocket giving you a better chance at a good day of fishing.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Just a little help.
1-800-can-pass. According to them you can fish and anchor in canada with out notifing them.But if you are going to be "STEPPING"on land then you MUST contact them and get your rigg checked at customs....
I`ve call them & you must tell them where you plan to fish they will connect you to the proper canidian port. The phone number is 24/7 so If you get in a jam keep it programed into your cell.
I`ve called them 3 times this winter asking questions and have got the same answer,you step foot on land you have to go through customs. Your just fishing no problem(even anchored).
hope this helps ya

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Nice boat you should do well blasting to canada. Your alot better off zooming from 15mile. You won't have the expense of tolls, customs, now that's there and back. Just make sure you know what the weather will be when you go. It's no fun when it's ruff anyways. Ruff days can be spent on the channels as a option, or a protected shoreline. What makes canada good on weekends is there is alot less boat traffic and fishing pressure, so it's up to you. Good luck on what ever you do. Take down that # and call like he says. Once you do it, it will be easier everytime you do. Hey when your there try 4lb test, with a 1/8 oz. jig, married with a berkley power grub or berkley Gulp in the 3 inch size. Shhhhh I didn't tell you that..

h2o<---says tell us how you do there. THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't anchor or you will get a ticket.The ministry here was giving tickets last year to americans that were anchored fishing for perch.Also if you don't know our ministry has increased all fines maybe triple what they were last year.Fishing with no licence was 50 bucks now it's $150.00

The hump is just another spot.Sometimes hot sometimes not.

·
Registered
790 Posts
There seems to be some confusion about whether or not anchoring constitutes “setting foot on Canadian soil”. On a recent OCONUS trip I had to stop in Canada for a couple of days. I went to the Canadian Customs office to get this question answered because like RK4BASSIN I had been told on the phone several times that anchoring offshore did not constitute landing in Canada but had seen many posts contrary to that. Well, according to Officer Ronald Labataille with whom I spoke to in person, if you anchor offshore and do not get out of your boat, you DO NOT need to call Canadian Customs. You may anchor and fish (if you have a Canadian license) without calling, legally.

·
Registered
440 Posts
fiker50,
Your post brings up an issue that has been discussed at length on this board...the ever-popular
I-68 form. If you are coming back into US water from Canada you either must report to US Customs or have this form.

Many (or most?) boaters have chosen to not get the form anyway and have gotten away with it even though they don't report to Customs either. I don't personally know of anyone who has been stopped on the water by US Customs, so I guess the chances are minimal that you will get stopped. I just thought that you should be aware of this so you can make your own decision.

·
Registered
790 Posts
A U.S. Customs officer informed me that if you only anchor and do not step foot on Canadian soil that the I-68 form or reporting to U.S. Customs is not necessary. I did not get his name but he is located at the Customs Office is Algonac. However, having an I-68 is probably the safe thing to do. The NEXUS program is also available which is similar to the I-68 but has a 5 year life instead of 1 year. The cost for NEXUS is $50 as opposed to $16 for the I-68 but has the advantage of being additionally valid for vehicular crossings unlike the I-68 which is for pleasure boats only.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm sorry but that is not correct and I doubt that the Customs officer in question would appear at a court hearing on your behalf should that situation arise. I talked to a Customs officer as the Ambassador Bridge that said that everyone on the lake must have one. Obviously, there is some discrepancy with regard to the knowledge of individual officers, pertaining to the I-68 program. The info on the US Customs website only talks about entering US water from Canada. Why should US Customs be concerned whether or not you "landed" in Canada? The issue is crossing the border to enter this country. Illegal cargo can be transferred from boat to boat without anchoring. The I-68 program was instituted to make it EASIER for boaters to deal with Customs. If you have the form you do not have to report every time you cross the border.

Like I said before, I know a lot of guys who don't get the form and I still don't know anybody who has had a Customs problem. So, it's up to each individual whether or not they will get the form. Odds are good that you won't get caught, but people play the lottery, too, and the odds of winning that are ridiculous. I would rather get the form and avoid the hassle of being prosecuted or going through the legal system to get my boat and equipment back. I guess I just consider it another layer of insurance.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
cameraguy you are wise. you won't have your boat taken like some have.

Simple to do follow the rules and you won't have no worries mate.

h2o<---says getting a I-68 is something you should do because it exist's and there's lies your answer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here's my $0.02 on the I-68. The chief of the Wayne County sherriff's marine patrol was giving a seminar on boating safety last month and I asked him point blank if it was worthwhile to renew my I-68 this year, and he said no. OTOH, I forgot my driver's license on a fishing trip to Canada last winter, and they let me back in through US customs with my expired I-68 and a Sam's Club card. Wouldn't suggest making a habit of that, though.

I'm really confused about whether you need to check in with Canadian Customs if you're only going to anchor and not go ashore. I heard from too many sources that they were issuing tickets to perch fishermen in the River last year to feel comfortable about not checking in.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Do it right or don't do it at all. Who wants to look over there shoulder out there all the time or have that gut feeling wondering if your doing something wrong. I DON'T!!!!!!!!! So get what you have to get and get it over with. Once they do check you out, they will know that that boats all right.

h2o<---says enjoy your time out not thinking if i'm legal. The canadian fishing license, I-68, ect. has a purpose and be in that purpose and you'll have no worries mate...

·
Registered
882 Posts
I called immigration myself last year to get information on renewing my I-68 and they told me point blank not to even try because they were not issueing them due to the increased threat level. I would assume now, that you could get it done.
Personally, I won't be doing it.
Not necessary.
If I do anchor or land in Canada I'll be sure to check in on my return, with passport in hand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts