Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one lead me inthe direction on where Crystal Bay is? I heard that it is in the Detroit River but cant seem to locate it. Sorry if this is so obvious.

G

·
It's not obvious and isn't called Crystal Bay on the charts. It's directly north of Boblo Is. (Bois Blanc Island on the chart) and between the Livingstone and Amherstburg Channels. It looks like an inverted "V". If you go, I recall people saying to stay to the east side as you go in because there's some shallower spots in the middle.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bill and everyone else. That will do the trick.

Looks like a stopping spot on the way to PIB or CP, but not to just make a day trip.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
pyrate jim, let me tell ya... yes, it is worth a day trip. a good friend of mine grew up in a boating family and their home is moments away from crystal bay. i have spent MANY a fantastic overnight trip there after a day of complete debauchery! the moot is tons better, but crystal bay is DEFINATLY a fun time. bring some pals and have a blast!!

i'll see if i can't get my buddy to log on here to tell about the place. he's been going there for decades.

it's about an hour from PIB.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Crystal Bay is on the Canadian side...so before you go anchoring there make sure you have all your "papers" in order. They "canadian police/coast guard" do patrol that area very well.

G

·
Good job Bill, on the information.

I notice that that chart did say Chrystal Bay, but there are a lot of places like that. Where people call it one thing, but on the chart it is another.
More people should study the charts more.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
That is the Crystal Bay I know of (pretty good fishing in there before the boat traffic gets up). Also please remember that topless is legal in Canada (yes CBay is in Canada) so be careful if you dont want your kids to see that. AND ditto the paperwork/CANPASS stuff if you plan on anchoring/landing.

Mini

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
stay to far east side when entering, best bet is to follow a larger boat in and let them hit the low stuff

messed up two props and one of the outdrive hitting a large large boulder in the middle of the bay, got out of the boat and stood on the rock, its submerged about 1 to 1.5 feet smack dab in the middle, from the looks of the scrapes and amount of metal on it, it has been hit many many many times

crystal bay used to be more fun about 5 years ago, canadian cops are squashing a lot of the fun there and they do hassle you a lot

my opinion, not worth the risk of damaging your boat for a stop over there, the water is deep so you can't walk around but just enough submerged trees and boulders to do some heavy damage

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
duffy's landing is pretty fun, too!

i've seen a boat like goose's shore itself and tear its prop up, too. careful when ya go, and listen to these fine peeps here on navigation! i just ride along!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Remember that as soon as you drop anchor, you have officially set foot on Canadian soil. Best bet is to call customs over in Amhesburgh (sp?) first and at least get a CAN-PASS confirmation number in case the Canadian water patrol decides to question you. Also, in order to legally drink alcohol on your boat in Canada, you must be anchored or docked for the night with overnight living amenities (i.e. sleeping quarters, stove and a pumpout).

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
QUOTE(Goose @ Feb 2 2004, 10:11 AM)crystal bay used to be more fun about 5 years ago, canadian cops are squashing a lot of the fun there and they do hassle you a lot
This is the story I'd always heard about it. Didn't think any action went on there any more. Did anyone make it out there last summer to check it out?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I was in there last summer scouting for a tournament during the week. A HUGE boat pulled in full of scantily clad models. Then a photgrapher started shooting pics of the girls in various forms of undress......it was kinda cool. Too bad I couldnt stay longer

Mini

·
Registered
991 Posts
I drove by there two years ago on a Saturday afternoon, there were 3 boats anchored. I don't know about now, but the hassle from the Canadien patrols were so ridiculous the year before when I was there they have chased everyone out. I swear they had three patrol boats and they just went from boat to boat searching everyone.

·
Registered
269 Posts
QUOTE(Aggressortom @ Feb 3 2004, 11:41 AM)I drove by there two years ago on a Saturday afternoon, there were 3 boats anchored. I don't know about now, but the hassle from the Canadien patrols were so ridiculous the year before when I was there they have chased everyone out. I swear they had three patrol boats and they just went from boat to boat searching everyone.
I don't think that's a place where I'll end up.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I went 2 seasons ago on Labour Day weekend. It's pretty good but you want to hope for warm weather because the water is deep and you swim if you need to head to another raft. The cops were around but didn't stop anyone while I was there. I think they have backed off big time after the local business' let them have it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts