Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Abby,

Here's the story, We have been invited to a close relatives country backyard picnic/wedding receiption for this Saturday ( I know, its a boating day). The wedding took place some time ago in a small court type setting. Only the immediate family attended. Both newlyweds have been previously married in the past. The newlyweds along with their families are the best you could ask for and we are looking foward to the event. Here is where I need your thoughts.

Am I to assume a gift is expected and if so ,how do you base the amount of the gift since no hall type (major expense) reception was in place. Should that even matter when determining the gift amount.

Thanks!

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
Weather there was a hall involved should not matter in the amount you decide to give as a gift. I would give what I gave other close relitives at their weddings.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Never took the hall into account when giving a wedding gift. Are you supposed to?

I'd give the same amount as if you were going to a hall.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Bring a card (not sealed) and about $100.00 cash. Ask other close friends and family when you get there and decide then.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
I'd say I'm out of town, (cause I want to go boating instead). My thoughts are you only get gifts at the first wedding. You duped me the first time and then you got divorced, now pay for your "love" yourself.

Besides, wedding gifts originally were to help a young couple get established, buy a home, and get the things they need for it. Once your on the second marriage you are already established and probably have a place to live.

The second (third, fourth, fifth) wedding should be a celebration/party that the couple pays for with no presents expected.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
I agree with Deuce. That's like having a Baby Shower for your second kid. <_<

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
QUOTE(Deuce-Five @ Jul 23 2003, 06:17 PM)I'd say I'm out of town, (cause I want to go boating instead). My thoughts are you only get gifts at the first wedding. You duped me the first time and then you got divorced, now pay for your "love" yourself.

Besides, wedding gifts originally were to help a young couple get established, buy a home, and get the things they need for it. Once your on the second marriage you are already established and probably have a place to live.

The second (third, fourth, fifth) wedding should be a celebration/party that the couple pays for with no presents expected.
I want to change mine to what deuce said

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I agree with Duece go boating.

I always take the hall into account and also if they are paying for the wedding themselves or if a parent is paying. Of course on top of all these I also take into account how close I am with the person and how much I spent at the bar the night before.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
1. I agree with Duece with 2nd marriage for the most part.
There are always circumstances though. Tough divorce, ect.
work situation.

2. Close family Relative....Kinda would give a card and some money, or even a gift certificate for there favorite resteraunt possibly.

3. I would bring 2 cards, 1 for a congrats, 1 with money.
Weight the situation, kinda see what is appropriate. Then once you evaluated the situation, seen what was the norm there, then do the appropriate card.
But most Likely $75.00 will suffice for this occassion.

OK Confused now !?

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Deuce-Five @ Jul 23 2003, 01:24 PM)It's like saying your a virgin, cause it's the first time I slept with YOU.

You never slepot with me bro !
or did you <_< <_<

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Oprah had a good idea. She puts together a picnic basket. Include a blanket, maybe cheese and wine, crackers & utensils.

Picnics are so nice to go on and spend some quality time with the one you love

Regardless if it is their first or third marriage, two people found happiness with each other and that's what counts.

my .02

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
It's a gift for an event... a union... regardless of all circumstances. You give gifts to people when you just visit their house for a dinner party sometimes, don't you? You give birthday presents years over, right? Just give an amount that you won't second guess. It's a kind gesture, even if not required.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
QUOTE(Dookie @ Jul 23 2003, 02:44 PM)... maybe cheese and wine...
Have some cheese with that wine

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Dookie @ Jul 23 2003, 01:44 PM)Oprah had a good idea. She puts together a picnic basket. Include a blanket, maybe cheese and wine, crackers & utensils.

Picnics are so nice to go on and spend some quality time with the one you love

Regardless if it is their first or third marriage, two people found happiness with each other and that's what counts.

my .02

OPRAH................

oprah is a crazy woman

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
QUOTE(Fast~Eddie @ Jul 23 2003, 01:47 PM)OPRAH................

oprah is a crazy woman
Maybe so, but it's still a nice gesture

i dont like it quiet so my TV's retty much always on

I need to do something with myself!!! hmmm, maybe CLEAN! My house is a wreck!!!! i dont think i'm ever gonna get unpacked.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts