Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my soft plastics died yesterday .....
......sniffle, sniffle, poor thing. It was such a good bait........

Earlier in the day a eager musky smacked the snot out of it 3x. Each time I tried to set the hook the whole spool spun because I forgot to add a mono backer.
When I pulled it in it looked like hell, mangled, chewed up. So I switched rods and kept fishing with it. A little while later something grabbed it and I set the hook only to pull back a tailless bait. The wire for the last treble hook was poking out. The sides are cut to ribbons, the fin on the back looks like fringes now.

So here is the tip: ALWAYS back your braid with mono!! Not only will this prevent the braid from slipping but it'll save your soft baits some wear and tear and you'll get more bang for your buck!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Good tip. I put electrical tape on my reel before the braid in lieu of mono, and have had no problems yet. Kind of an easier way out, I guess. I think I got that tip on this forum somewhere...

DISCLAIMER: I have yet to set the hook in a musky, which could very well prove failure to this method!

·
Registered
583 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Jul 30 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd be afraid of the tape letting loose especially if you set the hook hard like you should.

That was a concern of mine at first. Though I haven't fished for any large species, I've caught average sized (3lb) walleyes (even pulling them over chest-high railings) with no issues. I've also had some super snags, and yanking them free has not caused any issues. Yet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Very good tip! Fortunately I didn't learn this the hard way. When I bought my first musky casting rig a Bass Pro Shops, they asked me if I wanted them to spool the reel up. And as I watched I saw him spooling on the mono first...I questioned it, and was told it would keep the line from spinning on the spool during hook sets. Unfortunately I have not been able to test the theory, since I have yet to catch my first musky, but when I do...you'll see the pic!

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(snowman @ Jul 30 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>First I've heard of the spool/line spinning. Sure there isn't another reason for it?
Not that I know of. The package insert that comes with Fireline tells you to fill the reel 1/3 of the way with mono, use a uni-knot and continue filling the reel with the Fireline.
But I'm one of those who has to learn the hard way, and never follows directions. Now I back with mono first.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Always back with mono. You also don't need to use a ton of superline when muskie casting. 100 yards is more than enough and will allow you to pull of the superline and reverse it the following season.

QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jul 30 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sad but true Jason, the big soft plastics are good for only a few fish...maybe a couple, and I've known them to last a single fish. That's why I carry plenty of plastics-

I would agree, I've got some that have caught one fish and lost a tail (which is replaceable) but I've got others that have caught many fish. I have a pounder that put more than 10 fish in the boat last year and it's still in fishable shape. A little TLC with a lighter and torch goes a long way.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 30 2009, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(snowman @ Jul 30 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>First I've heard of the spool/line spinning. Sure there isn't another reason for it?
Not that I know of. The package insert that comes with Fireline tells you to fill the reel 1/3 of the way with mono, use a uni-knot and continue filling the reel with the Fireline.
But I'm one of those who has to learn the hard way, and never follows directions. Now I back with mono first.

On a spinning rod? I am using Fireline right now, 20lb, hasn't spun once. However, I have been filling it up to top it off on the spool.

I think the less line you have on any spool will increase the odds of your whole spool of line spinning.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jul 30 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sad but true Jason, the big soft plastics are good for only a few fish...maybe a couple, and I've known them to last a single fish. That's why I carry plenty of plastics-

Dude, that box has me drooling........
I have no doubts plastics can get hammered quick. I even had to pitch a buckie after 1 fish. Man that thing got DESTROYED! It's astounding the damage these fish can do. But hey they're the most rewarding fish to chase in my book. even if it does cost an arm, a leg and a marriage or two (in some cases
).

But either way lesson learned! 20lbs mono to the rescue!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Jul 30 2009, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dude, that box has me drooling........

Just got it the other day. I had it custom made to fit between my front deck and my center console and it's got non-skid on top and you can stand on it, so it acts as a front deck extension as well. It's got 45 slots, most of which will hold two baits, except for the big plastics.

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jul 30 2009, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(heimskr @ Jul 30 2009, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dude, that box has me drooling........

Just got it the other day. I had it custom made to fit between my front deck and my center console and it's got non-skid on top and you can stand on it, so it acts as a front deck extension as well. It's got 45 slots, most of which will hold two baits, except for the big plastics.

Is it ok for you to give the person who made that box more buisness? I'm interested!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(Junkster @ Jul 30 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jul 30 2009, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(heimskr @ Jul 30 2009, 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dude, that box has me drooling........

Is it ok for you to give the person who made that box more buisness? I'm interested!

Yeah, Jim is correct. I had it made, took about two weeks and it turned out great. They're not cheap, but my baits quickly outgrew the box I had and I can't have my baits rolling around the boat because of the dog stepping on them, so I had it made.

(Before anyone gets upset about posting a non-sponsor's link, I don't mind posting the info in open forum, even though he's not a sponsor, as he's not in competition with anyone here, and no one here is selling his cases; you get them straght from him. So it's like posting a link to any other small company for information; like Stowmaster nets, Boga Grip, that Fizzing tool thing...it's cool. We ain't Nazi's.)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Something like that would be a whole lot better than my plain jane plano that holds 40 somethin baits & I wouldn't dare stand on it! I'm so far out of storage on my boat it's not even funny so boxes that fit in those little nooks and crannies like yours would make all the difference! especially if you can stand on it.

I've been debating on attaching some type of hanging storage on the gunnel's of my boat just so I can hang baits in it that I want to take & ditch a box or 2. Wood sides & mounts, plexiglas front & dividers, lift lid. It would only take up a couple inches of space but increase lure storage tremendously. The more I think about it the better I like it. Hmmmm...now to draw it up & get some angles....

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 30 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 30 2009, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(snowman @ Jul 30 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>First I've heard of the spool/line spinning. Sure there isn't another reason for it?

On a spinning rod? I am using Fireline right now, 20lb, hasn't spun once. However, I have been filling it up to top it off on the spool.

I think the less line you have on any spool will increase the odds of your whole spool of line spinning.

Yep, I use the 4lb Crystal Fireline on my Dimension 5010 spinning reel and before I learned the hard way I did have problems with the line slipping on the spool. 4 lb Fireline is comapartively way smaller in diameter that 4 lb mono, and even with the mono backing a 125 yard spool doesn't completely fill even a small spool like mine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.