Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at replacing my two trolling motor batteries. WHat do you look for and what is the best? I looked at Sears, Autozone, and one other car place and its like comparing apples to oranges.

875CCA
210RM

What does all thia mean?

Dan

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Czar will post shortly, he just got a great deal on them.

h2o<---says hang in there for a great deal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
THE FIRST SET OF #S REPRESENT THE COLD CRANKING AMPS THE SECOND ARE BASED ON THE SIZE OF THE BATTERY THE ONE YOU LISTED WOULD BE CONSIDEREDD A 21 CASE. IF IT WERE ME, I WOULD GET TWO DEKA 27 CASE BATTERIES PROBABLY ABOUT $65.00 A PEICE. IF YOU WANT SOME GOOD ADVICE ON WHAT BATTERIES ARE RIGHT FOR YOUR SITUATION AND A PRICE FOR THEM CALL BRIAN CLARK (D AND R SPORTS) 1-800-992-1520

·
Registered
795 Posts
Call Iterstate Batteries 248-589-9084 or 888-634-2876 they will answer all your questions and if you ask for Chris and mention my name they will make sure you get a great set of batteries for a good price

P.S.

They are located in Troy

1026 Rankin Rd.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I did get a good deal on batteries at Bass Pro at the spring sale. I purchased 2 series 27 XPS batts at $49.88 apiece and a starting batt for $29.88. The RC # is your reserve capacity. Mine are 175 RC. I did alot of research and found Dual Pro to be great batts but not at $260 apiece, ouch. I considered Optima but not at $190 apiece. Almost went with the Interstate series 29`s at $89 apiece but saw the Bass Pro sale flyer and decided on them. Interstate are good batteries and the website is www.ibsa.com If you decide on Interstate get them from a distributor not a retailer and ask about blemished batteries as they often sell them for less. My first set came from Walmart and they lasted 4 seasons. They still hold a charge but don`t last as long as they used too. Good luck with your purchase and the upcoming season.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The XPS batteries are a great battery for the money and will last a good long time. They are comparable to a standard 175 Interstate.

In the near future we will be carrying a more expensive but much better rated Gel battery. This battery has the same reserve as the top end Dual Pro and Optima batteries but will be only about $100. We sell so many batteries that we get a great deal.
Last year I started with the standard Interstate batteries in my boat. With a 36volt system I was draining at about 10 hours of constant use. My good buddy Toadhunter hooked me up and we changed over to the Interstate DC88 Gel battery. I was getting about 18 hours of hard use between charges. This is what prompted my requests for a XPS gel battery. They are suppose to be in stock 1st week of April.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What do you guys think about Everstart Batteries, I paid about 60$ a piece for 2 trolling batteries and 60 for a cranking and I have had them about three years and they are still performing almost as good as when I bought them. I run them for about 8 or 9 hours before recharging. But I hear alot of talk about interstate how do everstarts compare?

·
Formerly &quot;FRL&quot;
930 Posts
Call any Golf course and ask them what Battery they use. Golf courses put true deep cycle batteries to the test. Most Golf Courses will tell you they use TROJAN batteries. Trojan Batteries have thicker plates than any other battery on the market....therefor they last longer....Call D&R sports and ask them what battery Kevin Van Damn uses......it's a trojan battery.... You will get more charge and more life out of a Trojan battery.

When fishing lakes like St. Clair you need a battery that will hold the longest charge... Thats a trojan battery...

Contact Harris Battery Company
28421 HIGHLAND ROAD
ROMULUS, MI
Zip/Postal Code: 48174
Telephone: 734-946-3510
Fax: 734-946-3514

Tell him Anthony Adams sent you......You wont be dissapointed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would have to agree with Anthony. By the way Anthony is was nice meeting you at our booth (Oakland Bassmasters) down at Ford Field on Friday. Glad to see someone was there anyway! I actually happen to manage a golf course for a living and yes, Trojan Batteries are the most common for golf cart use. However, the type used for carts are 6 volt batteries. Regardless, I inherited the Blue top Optimas on a used 620 I bought and was not happy with them at all for trolling motor power. They only have 120 reserve capacity and sell for around $200 per battery. After doing some research I found that the Trojan 31 series have 225 minutes of reserve capacity. A place called Battery Warehouse on 9 mile in Warren (www.batterywarehouse.com) sells them for $109.95 apiece. I still use a yellow top Optima for my cranking battery which gives around 1100 CCA and 155 minutes of reserve capacity, plenty to run all the gizmos I have and still crank over the 225 Opti. If your compartment can hold the size 31. If not, I think a good bang for your reserve capacity buck would be the ones that Czar found in the size 27. But I know that Roy swears by those Interstates also!

Good fishing to all this season! When it finally arrives.

John C.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
EverStart batteries are made by the various battery companies. Some of them have been Interstates in the past. Depends on the size and type as to who they had make the battery.

There's only so many marine battery companies like:
Johnson Controls (Optima, Interstate, some EverStart, and a whole bunch of other store & auto company brands);
Exide (GNB, Stowaway, Nautilus, Orbital);
Continental (Trojan, Sea Volt, might actually make the Optima or did);
Crown;
Douglas;
East Penn (Deka);
New Castle (Hi-Torque, Hi-Thrust, Super Thrust);
Rolls (Surrette) which some people say is the best performing battery made, but I have no first-hand experience and they are expensive;
Superior (not sure if they are part of someone else);
U.S. Battery;
WestCo / MK Battery;
West Coast Battery (Odyssey);
Wonch Battery (I think they make their own);
and a whole bunch of foreign companies. Some of the above may be part of each other. It's hard to tell who makes what for whom. I've probably missed someone.

I don't know who is making the XPS batteries. The quality of a battery comes down to the specifications the distributor/seller asks the true manufacturer to use in making their batteries.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dj is correct.. the batterys are made to the specs of the customer...

i use the 8800's and 8700's for maximum cranking . for the outboards and bass boats,i sell their bass plus series in either goup 24 or 27 that is the 2 most common sizes, they are dual purpose, deep cycle batterys
alot of the charter boat captains in ohio use them

1 - 15 of 15 Posts