Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a fanatic about it, but I try to do pretty well - I wash my stuff in the no-scent laundry soap, have some of the scent-lock clothing, wear rubber boots and spray the carbon scent elim spray on everything before I go to my stand...

"Some people" spray themselves again once they get to their stand... I did that for the first time on Saturday, and didn't see a deer (but it started raining after a little bit too...) - I can't figure out if that's a good plan or bad - any thoughts? On Friday I had seven deer within 10 yards of me and never pegged me, but they were directly upwind. I usually get warm going to the stand and try not to overdress on the way out (carry my coat in my pack), but I'm sure I add a little "human odor" on the walk & climb...

·
Registered
940 Posts
i never really cared about it to much. the most i ever did was spay sent eliminator on before i went out and ive had a problem. i have hunted in ground blinds in the past and had deer walk right up to blind and stick there head in and smell around and not notice. but on the other hand i know people that get sented all the time. i guess they just smell.lol

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
QUOTE(putzy @ Oct 5 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i never really cared about it to much. the most i ever did was spay sent eliminator on before i went out and ive had a problem. i have hunted in ground blinds in the past and had deer walk right up to blind and stick there head in and smell around and not notice. but on the other hand i know people that get sented all the time. i guess they just smell.lol

the most i do is the scent eleminator my gf's btother last year put fox pee all over him while he was hunting i made him get out of the car and take his hunting cloths off and put them in the trunk i can only think of one time where i was scented

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Oct 5 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(putzy @ Oct 5 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i never really cared about it to much. the most i ever did was spay sent eliminator on before i went out and ive had a problem. i have hunted in ground blinds in the past and had deer walk right up to blind and stick there head in and smell around and not notice. but on the other hand i know people that get sented all the time. i guess they just smell.lol

the most i do is the scent eleminator my gf's btother last year put fox pee all over him while he was hunting i made him get out of the car and take his hunting cloths off and put them in the trunk i can only think of one time where i was scented

·
Registered
164 Posts
I use the no scent wash detergent before going up each time and I will use the no scent spray at night while my clothes are hanging. I don't see any reason to spray before I go out in the morning due to the product claiming it will last for days after applied. Just this past weekend I had 4 small bucks down wind from me and as close as 7 yards, not one thought anything was different in the area.

·
Registered
940 Posts
i did a little test with the spray last summer. i let my hat that i wear in the yard whe doing yard work get real nasty and smelly then i sprayed it and took the smell away from it. it worked good.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have scent blocker suit with 3D leaf pattern and I spray down with scent blocker spray everytime I go out. I also wash all clothing in the scent eliminator detergent. I used to get winded all the time before using it. Some say it is just a sales gimmick, but since using it, I have had deer walk right up to me and smell me...and walk away with tails down. Of course I didnt breath at that point. I literally had three does walk up to me from down wind as I was climbing a tree in my climber. I had just attached it to the tree and was only 2ft off the ground. I heard them coming and after identifying them as does a couple hundred yards off, I hugged the tree. They walked up and I thought they were going to walk right by me. The lead doe, the largest one, stopped right by the tree and leaned over and sniffed my boot. I looked her in the eye but didnt blink. She snorted a little, wheezed, and then slowly turned and kept walking in the direction they were going. The other two does walked right by me. I could have slapped them on the a$$, but decided not to as I didnt want to spook them. The bottom line is, the stuff works. I have slacked before and not washed my stuff or sprayed down and I have been winded then as far as 50+ yards away.

Also, I bag my clothing separate from everything else and everyday wear. I also cut pine tree branches from the area I hunt and put them in my clothes bag so they absorb mostly the pine scent.

I think it works. My father, god bless his soul, says I am crazy. But this is coming from a man who has not shot a deer in 18yrs. I think he just goes to be with me, but he says he gets winded all the time and refuses to follow my procedures even though I produce and he doesnt.

Oh, and after last years trifecta of three deer, I am a firm believer in C'Mere Deer also. That stuff does stop ANY deer dead in their tracks, even a rutting buck.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
When I used to deer hunt, I never used any of the "smell-B-gone" stuff. I wore a gillie suit, and left it on the property where I hunted, so that it didn't pick up any other scents that weren't natural to that area (ie. dog/kids). You need to watch what you eat. Spicy food is a no no come deer season. You excreat it out of your pores, and can be picked up a long ways away. Just stick to salt and pepper for the season. If you enjoy very tasty and spice ridden food, you need to start duck hunting.

We never had a hard time killing deer when we practiced these simple rules I have layed out above here. Actually in one October, we (guys I leased the property with) managed to take 76 does off of our lease that was just north of Rochester. My weapon of choice...gillie suit, and longbow with wood arrows. They all used the leafy suits and compounds. Most were taken from the ground.

So I say save your money from not buying scent eliminating products, and watch what you put in your body, and where your suit goes.

If you don't have the luxury of being able to leave your hunting clothes where you hunt, then atleast keep them in a sealable plastic bag, and throw some of the vegitation and dirt, for your stand area, in the bag too.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I keep my hunting clothes in a duffle bag and keep it outside. when I get dressed, I spray scent eliminator on them when I hit the woods. several years ago I hunted with makowish and he got me going on those incense style deer attractants. I now use different types, depending on what time of the season I'm hunting. none of them smell like buck or doe or any other kind of animal urine, in fact, they smell like something my wife would by in a candle shop so I have no idea how they work, but they do seem to work. anyway, I was thinking about keeping one of the sticks in my duffle bag with the clothes. who knows? maybe it will be just as affective

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I've DEFINITELY noticed a positive difference since I've started using the scent-away stuff... I will keep doing it/wearing it as I believe every little bit helps. I like the idea of putting some "natural" scent (pine branches, leaves, etc.) in a storage bag with the clothes. I don't see how I could keep my clothes (especially at camp during a hunting trip) away from the "human" smells, whether I bring my outerwear in to the trailer or put it in the car - there's really no other place to put it, but I guess maybe I should be immediately putting it in a plastic bag without going in to the trailer (why wouldn't the plastic smell be an issue?). I've never had a deer smell my boot (
) but I've had them close enough and right on my foot trail within minutes of me walking in to know that they don't smell me, but not every time. I also believe in the premise of smells coming out of a person from food whether it be breath or sweat or whatever, but I'm not sure it's just from spicy foods. Not every smell scares deer IMO, but I just want to try to mask all that I can.

Nitro, tell me more about C'mere Deer please - do you put it out right when you're getting in your stand? Does it draw them in or just stop them if they happen to get close enough? I've been thinking of trying that, but I feel like it will put them on alert too much?

Thanks guys, any more thoughts would be appreciated

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I had an old guy one time tell me to spray immatation vanilla oround to attract deer. He said they love the scent. I never tried it, because what I was doing at the time was working, but he might have been onto something. If your not having any luck finding the deer, it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
528 Posts
QUOTENitro, tell me more about C'mere Deer please - do you put it out right when you're getting in your stand? Does it draw them in or just stop them if they happen to get close enough? I've been thinking of trying that, but I feel like it will put them on alert too much?

C'Mere Deer will not put them on alert at all. I started using it last year and I was amazed at the results. Yes, you have to have deer coming through the area, but if they get within 20-30yrds of the stuff downwind from it, they will smell it. I will usually sprinkle the powder out over a 20ft by 20ft area and then put a larger concentration of it on a log or tree stump (i have a stump exactly 30yards from my stand). I watched several does last year tear that stump apart oblivious to the fact that I was there. I also had a spike horn spend minutes kicking, pawing and sniffing the stump, sticking their heads right down inside it trying to find the food. Drove them nuts. They would eventually give up, licking their chops, and walking away. I didnt have any shooters hit yet and one disadvantage is that it is expensive and if it rains, it is pretty much ruined. I am contemplating trying the spray gel on the grass this year.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I was told by more than one DNR officer that C'Mere Deer is NOT baiting. Its a scent attractant. It is not consumed by the deer in any manner. Its a powder, its not a lick. If I am wrong, please point me to where the law or article that defines it as illegal. I don't want to get a ticket for it. However, with that being said, there is no way they could ever prove I put it out unless they saw me put it out.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
This was taken from the dnr page i don't know anything about the c'meere deer but does it meet these requirements

(3) For the purposes of this section, "bait" means a substance composed of grains, minerals, salt, fruits, vegetables, hay, or any other food materials, whether natural or manufactured, which may lure, entice or attract deer. "Bait" does not include the establishment and maintenance of plantings for wildlife, foods found scattered solely as the result of normal agricultural planting or harvesting practices, foods available to deer through normal agricultural practices of livestock feeding if the area is occupied by livestock actively consuming the feed on a daily basis, or standing farm crops under normal agricultural practices. For the purposes of this section, "baiting" means to place, deposit, tend, distribute, or scatter bait to aid in the taking of a deer.

·
Registered
193 Posts
go to C'Mere deer site read FAQ section. It states that if you use the liquid form it's not bait but if you use the powder or pellets it bait is how I'm reading it.

The deer will eat the pellets that would be bait in my opinion !
I tried it last year and never once saw any deer go to the spot I put it out at.

I have hunted this section of land for 20 years and had bait piles there and deer alway be a the bait pile every morning or nite.

Saw hank parker Jr a few weeks ago on VS put out this product on a ranch in S. Texas and hunted over it (different locations) for 8 days and He never saw a deer, he used 3 day harvest 1 bag of the powder and Buck Juice at all hunting spots.

I ask Co. Pinson a few weeks ago about this product and he said it's a form of Bait in his eyes

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
this is from the c mere web site

A:
All products work exceptionally well depending on your individual needs or application requirements. C'Mere Deer liquid works great as a stealthy attractant applied to decaying logs, stumps, trees, green vegetation, or around watering holes. When lightly sprayed on your boots and clothing, or on bushes, grass, and tree limbs around your stand or blind, C'Mere Deer liquid also works great as a cover scent. C'Mere Deer liquid can be used in some states where baiting is not legal since it's not a food but, can be applied to a natural food source where deer are feeding. Spray under nut and/or fruit producing trees and vines where deer are feeding to hold them longer.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I read that as well on their website. Good call. Thanks for the info. Apparently, the DNR in my area aren't too ocncerned with C'mere Deer though because thats who told me they wouldn't ticket me for using it. Of course though, they also don't care if you leave your stands up year round either. They said they have bigger fish to fry as far as poaching and other major violations. They did say that if you put out a bag of apples, that might change. But they still have people dumping truck loads of sugar beats on private land that they are more concerned with. That was my take on it. And again, the powder is so fine that you cant even really see it after you sprinkle it on the ground and its gone during the first light rain. I might just switch and try the liquid spray anyways.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.