Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
A.K.A. Yo Eleven!
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a bit of advice. I own a 33' Marinette with twin inboards. i am looking to replace the depthfinder with a new fishfinder. I am looking at a bunch on e-bay. The question I have is whether anyone out there knows if the transom mount transducers really don't work well on boats with inboards. Do I really need to go through-hull? Advice? Experience? Looking to avoid putting another hole in the hull.....Thanks!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
A thru hull is desired due to the amount of turbulence given off by the prop. I would imagine that you could get away with it IF you properly place your tansducer on the transom (closer to the sides of the boat, but not too far as to have them life out ofg the water).

I would still recommend a thru hull. You get better detail from them anyway in most cases.

Mini

·
A.K.A. Yo Eleven!
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you... Thats kinda what I figured. Just wondered if anyone had heard otherwise

·
12,052 Posts
Well I'm not a fisherman or have a fish finder, but aren't you going slow when reading the fishfinder anyways? then there isn't that much turbulence at that speed.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Well actually yeas and no....lol

When at idle I want the VERY best detail as possible...

When at half throttle, I also want that....

At WOT I want to be able to see anything. It is very difficult to get a good bottom reading at 60+MPH, but it can be done.

Mini

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have an old Si-Tec fishfinder on my boat with a thru hull transducer. It works ok but I was wondering if I can swap out the box for a new graphcal one using the same transducer. Are they interchangeble? Does anyone know how I would go about testing for this while the boat is on shore. I also would prefer not to drill another hole in the hull.

·
12,052 Posts
Call Sea-View electronics on Harper at 15mile. Those guys are pretty smart and sell Sitex. Also Bob at mikes marine on jefferson and 10 mile is great too. He doesn't sell Sitex but will get it for you. He got me my 10" plotter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts