Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
A.K.A. Yo Eleven!
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year was my first year on LSC. I am from the Lake Michigan side. I am curious what fun ports there are to visit? I would like to get out and adventure, and explore a bit this coming year. I know about Put-in-Bay and Cedar Point. Leamington sounds pretty cool too but both are all the way into Erie. Are there any other cool locations to go scout out? I would like to have a couple of destinations within a bit closer range. What is over on the Canadian end of the lake? I have charts and whatnot but just curious if an overnight is worth the gas. Any opinions?

G

·
I have heard so many boaters talk about The Thames River (Cove Marina). I would like to make it there myself this year.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
PIB and Cedar Point are great trips. Toledo isn't bad either for US side of Lake Erie. For Canada in Lake Erie, Leamington is ok, but nothing like PIB.

Detroit River has a couple ports in the Wyndotte area, Portifinos and another bar.

Thames river is a short distance on LSC.

St. Clair River, there is Port Huron and Sarnia.

About an hour East of Sarnia, is Grand Bend, Ont. This is a very nice trip, nice clean beaches and lots of bars and restaurants.

Gas will be more expensive this year for sure. Something I'm not looking forward to, but the price we pay for our passion.

·
A.K.A. Yo Eleven!
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. If I may press alittle deeper...What do I need to consider when going to PIB? Is there a recomended marina? Do they take reservations? I would prefer to be docked as opposed to the water taxi I hear about. I have a 33' sedan and it blows around pretty good. I would much rather be tied up. I also would like to be closer to the action. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yo...lol

At PIB, the best spots to have are on the public docks. These are A, B, C. They are first come basis. Do anything you can to dock on the inside of A or B. (Tip the dock guy if he squeezes you in!!!) You will be secure from any potential wind and waves. Some spots on the inside of C are ok as the dock is full cement down to the lake bed. Other parts of C are open and waves will pass thru.

Docking on the outside of A or C with West winds (blowing to the east) or North/North West winds is bad. Your boat will be rocking ALLLLLLLLL NIGHT LOOOOONNNGGG.

You can make reservations at Dugguns which is right next to the JET Express, but this dock is only secure on one side and will not protect against North/North West winds. Good thing about Dugguns is it is privately owned and you can drink on the docks.

Both these spots are right in the middle of the action. I head down there 4-6 times a year. I have been talking to Capt'n Rob about a LSC gathering there also this year.

NO drinking on the public docks. Cops will give tickets. Note: some of the cops are undercover also. Don't take any drugs or let any passengers take any drugs on your boat. Undercover cops walk the docks with drug sniffing doggies

·
12,052 Posts
Our boat club does a trip almost every other weekend. On the Thames Radlins is much cleaner than the cove. We are doing both this year. There is Algonac harbor on the north channel, bridge harbor on the black river in port huron, saint clair had a nice marina on a small river there, belle river on the south end of the lake is OK, we like to make wine there. We do Sarnia bay every labor day weekend. Last year we had 42 boats. What a party on the dock!! If anyone wants to tag along with Sand Point this year, let me know.

·
Registered
512 Posts
QUOTE(Yo Eleven! @ Mar 7 2004, 03:31 PM)Last year was my first year on LSC. I am from the Lake Michigan side. I am curious what fun ports there are to visit?
Ditto here. Last year was also my first year on LSC, and growing up my family boated on Lake Michigan. A little different here when you say "yippee ... deep water ... it's 12 ft .."

There are a lot or resources to help you find destinations. This board is one. (Tip: Also search the archives and you'll find previous discussion of many places). If you're "internet search savy" then you'll find a lot of information available.

Two guides I have found the most helpful include: Lakeland Boatings Guide to Lake Erie & Lake St. Clair, and Ports Lake Huron / North Channel / Georgian Bay Crusing Guide. They both have tons of info on ports / marinas, routes, where to dock, entertainment, etc.

·
A.K.A. Yo Eleven!
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool,

I thank you all. I would like to tag along on one of the LSCN trips up to Sarnia bay or over to the Thames.

The details for the put-in-bay docking are awesone, thanks moose. This website is such a great resource, I use it all the time.

Hammer is always good for the answer. I look forward to meeting you.

Sidelite, where are you from over there? I'm a Grand Haven Kid. Actually grew up in Rockford but spent the summers in GH.

·
Registered
512 Posts
QUOTE(Yo Eleven! @ Mar 8 2004, 09:35 AM)Sidelite, where are you from over there? I'm a Grand Haven Kid. Actually grew up in Rockford but spent the summers in GH.
Grew up NE Grand Rapids (just "down the road" from Rockford). Boated out of Grand Haven - North Shore Marina. Home of musical fountain and Coast Guard City USA.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not sure how far you want to go, or how fast you travel. One of our favorite trips is to hit Port Huron on Boat Night, (the Friday night of the Pt Huron to Mackinaw race). The next day we head to Lake Huron and run to Bayfield or Grand Bend, both great towns in Canada.

Funny that you should be from Grand Haven, I have been on the phone this morning trying to arrange for transient dockage there.

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
I've had opportunity to run the 'INSTIGATOR' throughout the Great Lakes many times, so I'd be more than happy to 'Captain' a few trips. One of my all-time favorites is Georgian Bay & the North Channel!

As I mentioned in another post, we have a large group heading to Put-in-Bay Memorial Weekend. There has been lot's of talk about Grand Bend, but no dates set.

·
A.K.A. Yo Eleven!
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm in. I would love to go. I don't have the go fast type of boat but I'll get there...just a while behind ya. I cruise at 22mph. But I can put 12 on board... trade offs I guess. Just be sure to save me a spot at the dock...Anyone need a ride there?

·
Registered
512 Posts
QUOTE(INSTIGATOR @ Mar 8 2004, 03:58 PM)One of my all-time favorites is Georgian Bay & the North Channel!
My favorite spot too!!! The North Channel / Georgian Bay is where we're heading first week of July. Last time I was there (by boat) was back in 1972. Liked it so much I back packed there in the late seventies a couple of times. Now, I will finally get back there with my own boat.

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
i love cruising the channels. especially the sni.

anchoring near strawberry island is cool.

tying up to the wall at metro beach is also great.

enjoy!

gus

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Just dinner cruises, but Lexington has some nice places to hangout for an evening, so does Wyandott, San Souci is a somewhat shorter cruise for a bar with food on the water. Lilly Cazilli's on the Detroit river in Windsor is also good food, just make sure to have your I-68.

·
A.K.A. Yo Eleven!
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Hazy...Wheres San Souci?

·
A.K.A. Yo Eleven!
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We need a Grand Haven over here! Wheres the musical fountain for us???? LOL

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
QUOTE(Gus @ Mar 8 2004, 05:01 PM)i love cruising the channels. especially the sni.

anchoring near strawberry island is cool.

tying up to the wall at metro beach is also great.

enjoy!

gus
Uhhmmmm . . . yep, that's the North Channel, too!

The one I'm talking about is beyond the top of Lake Huron, though

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Instigator

We will be going down to PIB for memorial weekend also. Wifes birthday is 5/26 so we like to celebrate the event at PIB. What day are you leaving?

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(Yo Eleven! @ Mar 8 2004, 09:28 PM)Thanks Hazy...Wheres San Souci?
on Harsens Isle South Channel side about 3/4 the wat to the St.Clair river..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts