Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want the guides changed one of my muskie rods and was wondering if anyone knows who can do it. It is a 7'6" rod so I don't want to ship it away. If you think I could pull this off myself could you point me to a tutorial site to give me confidence(if one exists)?

Thanks,
Nick Mantas

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have built many rods. It is pretty easy and fun to do yourself. You can really customize your rods by weaving you name in thread onto the blank or other custom touches. Three good books are all by Dale P. Clemens, Fiberglass Rod Making, Advanced Custom Rod Making and Advanced Custom Thread Art. Starting out, either of the first two would work.

The only item you will need are the new guides, metal file, thick book, thread, FlexCoat and possibly color preserver. Many newer threads are NPV (no color preserver) which means they won't fade when the FlexCoat is applied. For dark blanks, I personally like the look of not using NPV thread and not using color preserver.

You must buy the thread for rods and not try and use sewing thread. But you can practice on a dowl rod with sewing thread.

The longest part is once you put the FlexCoat on. You have to turn the rod (1/4 turn at a time) every 15 minutes for a couple of hours till it starts to setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts