Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How was it?

Anyone that took their boat down to the fireworks want to share some stories about their trip?

tg.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
Probably not what you're after, but we sort of went. Our marina is about 7 miles south of the bridge, and we just puttered out to a nearby island and anchored.

Anchored about a hour before the show, and all the north bound traffic reminded me of what a hurricane evacuation must look like.
The usual craziness. About half the boats using one of the channels, and the other half flying blind across the shallows (2-3'). One guy left well after dark with no lights whatsoever. He blew past us, into the shallows, about 45 mph.

We should have headed back the moment the show was over, but it was so nice out I didn't want to go in just yet (kind of a chronic condition with me
went for a nice swim!
). When we did head back, even though we had less then a mile to go, it was against the flow. Pretty good chance I could have been in a low speed head-on if I hadn't flashed my spotlight.

Sorry, that's the best I have to offer. If only I'd been a little more careless, maybe something interesting would have happened!

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
We went and had a great time. Left Jefferson Beach around 6, took a slow cruise down there and was suprised to see only a handful of boats anchored at the southern tip of Belle Isle. Putted down and lined up with the C.G. boat that was anchored in the river, but stayed close to the Detroit side. Dropped anchor and sat there as the only boat while we got the grill and food ready. CG Aux boat came by and said we'd have to move a little farther upriver, as the "official" safety zone started at the lighthouse (about 200' upriver from where the CG boat was sitting). Weighed anchor, putted up and reset the hook.

Was really surprised at how late most of the other boats came, but eventually they filled up the river. Maybe not as crowded as past years. Most folks were pretty behaved, but a couple went through the anchored area at much more than "no wake" speed causing us to bounce around a bit and lose a pitcher of ice tea over the side. The most frequent of these were enforcement boats cruising through the crowd making sure people were being good sailors/citizens.

Took our time leaving, and took the north side of Belle Isle (no wake zone). Heard a couple "can't start my boat" calls to the CG over the radio on the way back, but no real drama. Was *VERY* dark because even though it had cleared up, there was NO moonlight. Picked our ways though the bouys and got up to LSC. Slower than normal cruise back due to the darkness, but the lake was very nice.

One of the *BEST* times I've had going down to the fireworks, and I'd definitely do it again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts