Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Alex

Sounds great. I've always considered Lake St Clair the sixth Great Lake. I remember last year some yo yo wanted to make a lake in New York the sixth Great Lake
I don't think so pal!!!!

Is there cause for concern in St. Clair? I've only been there a few times but last year it seemed the lake was doing very well. I try to watch Detroit news as much as possible, but I haven't seen anything about pollution.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've heard alot of talk about cleaning up Lake St. Clair it would be nice to see alot more action from the government , especially from the Canadian side of the lake, they just don't seem to envolved. It would be nice to have some kind of a better way to regulate ships coming into the great lakes from other seas and countries so they don't dump things into our waters like zebra muscles, foriegn fishes, etc.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Fishnrob

I don't know about St. Clair but the zebra mussels were the main reason that Lake Erie is doing so good today.
Not to mention what an impact it has on the smallmouth!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I do like that the zebra muscles has improved bass fishing and helped to clear the water conditions, but clearer water conditions in a shallow lake like St. Clair makes for more weed growth, I'm no scientist but I dont want to see lake St. Clair become more weed choked especially with these very low lake levels, a few zebra muscles would be ok but there is no way to regulate thier growth or spread. I know when I take my boat out fishing they seem to cover everything I see on the bottom. We will have to see what the effect is in the long run I guess.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Who knows what the impact might be, but I do know that I'm going to try my hardest to take advantage of the better fishing!

I went to Florida last month and had the chance to fish on one of the big lakes down there. Want to talk about weed growth, man the lake is about 5-7ft deep and the weeds (hydrilla) covered the entire lake, where it looks like there is only 2 inches of water. This lake is huge too about 28,000 acres.

·
Registered
61 Posts
QUOTE(stevie1 @ Mar 15 2003, 11:00 AM)Who knows what the impact might be, but I do know that I'm going to try my hardest to take advantage of the better fishing!
Speaking of taking advantage of better fishing it's a beeeeaaauuutifull day for just that so I'm off to the lake !!!!

Good fshn to yall !

·
Registered
243 Posts
Speaking of taking advantage of better fishing it's a beeeeaaauuutifull day for just that so I'm off to the lake !!!!

Good fshn to yall !
[/quote]
Good luck!!

Let us know how you did!!!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
South Florida is getting out of control with the exotic species that have found their way into the eco system. I know the lakes up here are clearer but the long term effects are still to be shown. It always scares me to see something that mother nature did not put there. Gators I could deal with down there but some of the stuff I've seen in the lakes and ponds of Florida scared me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah Chris...

That Chick I saw you with in the that lake down there scared the daylights out of me....Where in the world did you find her??????? And, more importantly, where did you leave her so I won't venture there accidentally.

Sorry buddy, couldn't resist...it's just TOO MUCH fun!

Dave

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
It's always good to see the clean-up efforts and even actively support. But like anything prevention is always the best medicine. There are a number of little things us outdoorsmen, boaters, anglers, etc can do to help.

Dispose of waste properly. I always toss my used line, tubes, wrappers, etc in my cooler when out on the water. Never overboard.

Dispose of oil, used batteries, chemicals, etc properly. Whether on the water or in your driveway. All the small tributaries, creeks, and culverts feed our Great Lakes in one-way or another.

Rinse your boat, livewells, and bilge area out after a trip to the lake to help prevent the spread of exotics.

Keep your eye out for illegal dumping. This was the cause of the spill in the Detroit River last year and the Rouge River in years past. Stop this and there will be no need for clean-ups, right?

Above all let common sense prevail and keep up to speed with what's going on. How many of you realize the amount of garbage that is IMPORTED into the State of Michigan? This really chaps my a**. If you have ever crossed the Blue Water Bridge on a weekday afternoon you'll know what I'm talking about. Toronto and its suburbs currently export almost all of their trash to our State. Under the current NAFTA free trade agreement, trash is considered a commodity. Since this a Federal statute, the State of Michigan is essentially powerless to stop it. Many of our lawmakers have been fighting for years to find ways to stop it. Support your local officials in the cause. If you're not familiar with this issue, you can find plenty of info on the net. Or just take a trip to Sarnia. Now here is where the common sense thing plays a role. Do you know Toronto's reasoning for exporting its trash? Of course money and their inability to adequately deal with their trash (why should this be our problem??) plays apart. But their lawmakers have sold the general public on the perception that it protects their waterways (Lake Ontario) from pollution. Hmmmmm, I guess they need a geography lesson.

And of course never let your bud's pull exotics from Flordia

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Good points Alex. See a lot of people just tossing stuff overboard all over the lake. Lures, line belong in the trash if your done with em.

Dave: I think she's the one that sold you that property in Central F. Cash deal if I remember right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts