Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Detroit River Report

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Bassing Pro 
#1 ·
Spent about 12 hours on the river yesterday with the crew from Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World Television playing camera boat driver and fishng (of course!).

Kieth Kaviecz (sp?) and Tom Sokolowski (GM Detroit) were on camera fishing for walleyes in the Trenton Channel and by Fighting Island.

I need to thank Jon Bondy (aka DRP) for the fishing info prior and during the trip. I know they got enough footage for the show, partly to Jon letting us know where the action was. The crew headed for Sandusky/Port Clinton for trolling footage today.

I caught right around 30 walleye in my limited time fishing (when I wasnt doing the camera boat thing I was a jigging fool). 3/4oz jig/plastic combo, I was using all chartreuse, but orange brown combos were working as well, I wasnt using minnnows although plenty of people were, fish seemed to be in the 20-30 foot range with my best action in about 24 feet, water temps around 44 degrees. Biggest fish for me was around a 6.5lber, but I did see a few pushing 8. I know Jon's clients were happy because all you could see were teeth in their hooded faces. It was chilly....

Thanx again Jon, boat looked sharp. Lets get out and fish together sometime this summer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Man,
Anytime. Were they ever smashing that bait yesterday. We had about 35 without using a minnow. Today (Wed) we caught about 20 in about 6 hours. Still not bad. Same spot on the west side of Fighting Island. Gotta love that All Star AST 725 S jigging rod!!!
DRP www.lakestclairfishing.com

#4 ·
WOW, glad to hear you all are doing so well. Wish I could say the same
Was out from noon to about 6pm,same jig/plastic combo,with no luck

Got a 18'150hp statos,I fish alone but if there's someone out their thats willing to show an old dog new tricks, it would be my pleasure to take you along... I'm in Windsor.

#5 ·
I have no idea when it will air. I guess it depends on the editing.....

DRP I was using a 7 footer (AST845S) and then went to a 6'6" (AST785S).

I was supposed to head out again tomorrow (Thursday), but my partner is trying to get out of work at noon so we can get to Sandusky. I dont know if I will make it on the river or not.

Mini

#6 ·
Great report John, I listened to Keith Kavajecz and Gary Parsons give a Walleye seminar last month at Bass Pro Shops. I'm mostly into Bass Fishing and occasionally go after some eyes but I was really impressed with the level of detail these guys went into with regards to finding and consistently catching walleye.

Heading out for some walleye jigging this weekend off the reefs near Davis-Besse east of Toledo. Looking for them glow in the dark fish.
I'll post a report later in the week.

#9 ·
Went out on Saturday morning before my daughter's birthday party. Spent 3 hours out in front of the Southfield launch and landed 3 walleye and 2 smallmouth. The walleye weighed in at 8lbs!!,5 lbs. and 1 male at 1 1/2lbs. The smallmouth were 15 and 20inches. All came on a 3/4oz. chartreuse jig and a chartreuse grub body with a minnow hooked upside down. Also took all the fish in 30ft. of water.

#10 ·
QUOTE(fish tremble @ Apr 28 2003, 10:06 AM)Went out on Saturday morning before my daughter's birthday party. Spent 3 hours out in front of the Southfield launch and landed 3 walleye and 2 smallmouth. The walleye weighed in at 8lbs!!,5 lbs. and 1 male at 1 1/2lbs. The smallmouth were 15 and 20inches. All came on a 3/4oz. chartreuse jig and a chartreuse grub body with a minnow hooked upside down. Also took all the fish in 30ft. of water.
Sounds like some nice fish. I gotta drive down to the Tracker Sercvice center to see if my boats done. Theyva had it since early Dec. Looks like its gonna be a nice day out again today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.