Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay.....they were planted years ago, and i hear of the occasional one being caught, but wtf?!?!?!?

last monday, handlining for walleyes, we got one. about 15". thought it was a fluke.

friday night (i wasn't there, but got the report): same deal, handlining, and a 20" caught.

now i am not thinking fluke. last plant in the river for steelies was 95. is there a chance that these fish have actually taken? i mean, these 2 weren't big, so that makes me think that they are 2nd or 3rd generation.

or they could just be from somewhere else.

any thoughts? did the plantings work? can the detroit river sustain trout? is there a chance for the population to grow?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I picked up a 3/12 lb Salmon a couple of weeks ago handlining on the American side of Peche Island. Some were planted a couple of years ago in a nearby stream by my group. It was not legal to do this so I will not say who we are. Our group has legally planted thousands of browns and Kings near Port Elgin in the last few years. I have seen steelies taken on a regular basis in the last few years by guys handlining.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(jigs @ Jun 1 2003, 09:14 PM)It was not legal to do this so I will not say who we are. Our group has legally planted thousands of browns and Kings
Why in the world would you want to do this without the proper steps being taken? Why mess with mother nature?

I hear of people doing that all the time, whether its stocking their own pond, or wanting certain lakes near them to get better. In most cases they ruin their ponds and introduce disease to waters. It is best left up to the people that know what they are doing.

Mini

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have caught bows up to 10lbs by the main channel a number of times.I had one that i thought might be a hybrid scamania.It fought so hard & ran so many times my reel exploded,literally.These fish never give up until there dead.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Every year thousands of steelhead are planted in the Huron River, just to the south, and the Clinton River to the north. Steelhead are in the Detroit River during the colder months of the year just like most rivers in the state. We would probably hear more about them if someone was actually targeting steelhead in the river.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts