Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spanked them today. 4 of us caught 38. All of them by the salt mine in Canadian waters. 25-32 ft deep. 4" straight tail plastic worm on a 1/2 oz Walleye Stopper jig. Made a half hearted effort with 1 drift in the afternoon on the west side of Fighting Island and by Great Lakes. Lost a few, but landed none.....DRP www.lakestclairfishing.com

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Thanks for the report DRP. I have been enjoying your daily feedback. When you use the flat tailed worm can you tell me what color jig you use with them please? Also, is the salt mine near Peche Island or is it more down river?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typically, I will not really pay attention to the color of the jig this time of year. I know that sounds weird, and I know some people are fanatical about color, but when it comes to this time of year, I think the walleye could care less. You have to picture what they are doing down there. These fish are hunkered down on the bottom, facing up current, basically just waiting for some unfortunate creature to come tumbling along with the current. Every time you lift that jig and drop it, it is swimming along 2-4 ft with each hop. These fish see this thing coming at them so fast, that they just grab it while they have a chance to. I doubt they swim around and go after it like a smallmouth would do in a lake. Staying vertical, and using light line is more important than the jig color. As for the salt mine, it's directly across from Great Lakes Steel. Good Luck....DRP

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wow!! Way to go DRP! I was down there as well on Monday afternoon but got skunked. We drifted from Great Lakes Steel all the way down to Grassy Island but came up with nothing. The heavy wind coming up the river made it a real chore trying to keep vertical with the trolling motor. There was a gentleman beside us at Great Lakes Steel who was using a sinker with a hook tied about 18" above using crawlers that we seen take 3 fish in less than an hour but we just couldn't get them to take the jigs. With all this rain coming up in the next couple of days I think I will be forced to do some inland lake fishing for the weekend.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went back out today on the 30th and learned a good lesson. The first place we tried was in 31 ft by the salt mine where we caught 38 yesterday. Made one long drift and caught nothing. Yesterday we had 15 in 3 drifts! Took off and made a drift on the west side of Fighting and caught 2, but those salt mine fish had me frustrated. We went back over to the salt mine and tried in about 18-22 ft and started spanking them. They moved shallower on me overnight. We had about 21 by noon, then the storm hit and we left. All the fish lately have been on plastic only with no minnow....DRP

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jon: Nice to read about your trips.
Hopefully, I get the doctor's ok soon and hit the water. I will be reading how to catch them and will let you know.
EverStart Detroit River is full. Have to make the decision whether to book time off and take a chance on the waiting list or not. Canadian Open might be only option if more pros give it a go.
See ya, Tim J.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Jon,

You see even the Pimp learns stuff.....any day on the water is better than work, and when you are the DRP you have the best of both worlds....you are my hero...

Mini

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
DRP, you gave the exact answer I figured you would on the color question. My vision of what a walleye sees as that worm is drifting by at about 6 to 8 mph and bumping up and down is just as you described it. They only have a second to size it up and make a decision to strike so color isn't a factor. Besides, looking up against the sky I doubt that they can tell color anyway. I have to admit to being a color freak though. If it isn't chartruse or orange I usually won't put in in the Detroit River. I guess I will have to paint some jigs dark brown to match the worms.

Thanks for the location for the salt mines also. I just had hernia surgery this morning so I think I will have to wait a few "days" to hit the salt mines. Looking at fishing reports helps to take my mind off of the pain so thanks to everyone for the interesting posts.

Jim

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Hey DR P,
Are you using the US measurements or the metric system when you count how many walleyes you caught?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Old Man,..your post about your recent surgery made me chuckle,
....I had a "male" procedure done after my wife and I decided we wouldn't "spawn" anymore kids,...well.......all was fine in Mayberry or so I thought....
..feeling fine and ready to go fishing again 3 weeks later!! BAAAADDD move on my part!!
..LOL!!!!...word to the wise,....NEVER go on St.Clair in 3 foot waves after the BIG-V regardless of how well your buddy says his DEEP-V run's,..............it's a LIE!!!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
djkimmel,
Now you know I am half yankee. Even got the accent for it. I don't use metric.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Ouch Mac, feeling as I am right now I can easily imagine what that was like. A guy doesn't realize how much he uses the muscles in his lower ab area until he injures himself down there or has the "BigV" done.

The timing couldn't have been any worse for me. I had big plans for hitting the Detroit River walleyes with those two rods you personalized for me at BPS. Now I have to sit on the shore and just watch as some of the best fishing of the season is about to begin. I would imagine even boat waves hitting the boat I am in would be pretty unpleasant. Constant three footers, I don't think so.

Jim

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the reports, DRP. I made one drift at the Salt Mine Thursday morning, but gave up because the water was so dirty along there compared to the rest of the river. Looks like I should have tried a little harder there.

Did you see the Detroit police boats and divers below the Fighting Island light around noon that day? Apparently, they eventually found a body.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts