Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had 3 anglers out today from Japan for walleye. One spoke english well. They really wanted to catch a muskie, but having only caught one this year so far, I said it wasn't likely. I hoped to at least see a dead one floating. The fishing was tough for most of the morning, and then all of a sudden the woman in the group starting yelling something in Japanese. I turned to see her rod with 6lb test bent down to the water. She had a 25 lb muskie!!! They went crazy!!! We got it in and they took many photos of course. They were excited, laughing and talking in Japanese. I explained to them how lucky they were to catch it, when about an hour later the woman hooked another one!! This one about 20 lbs. They went even more nuts as it jumped clear out of the water twice. Got it in and took pictures. Boy, were they excited. We caught 9 walleye too.
To see their excited faces made me realize how blessed I am to be a guide.
DRP.....www.lakestclairfishing.com

·
Registered
440 Posts
Good job, Jon. You are an outstanding guide. It's always fun to catch muskie and a real challenge to get them to the boat with such light line. It sounds like they had the time of their lives.

Did they come here specifically to fish or did they take a day off from their business? The Seattle Mariners are in town and draw a big following of Japanese to watch Ichiro. Just curious.

Also, where are the walleye these days? I will be heading out on Tuesday or Wednesday. Can you point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They just moved here from Japan to work in the automotive business for a few years. The heard of me through a Japanese website while still in Tokyo. We are going to take a trip for smallies in the summer too.
As for walleye, try around the tip of Fighting Island. Start drifting about 10 yards west of the big yellow anchor bouy and drift along, passing by the inside of the skinny red bouy on down to the tall white one. Stay in 18-27 ft. It's been a bit tougher lately, but if you catch a few in one spot, stay there. They will turn on and off through the day.
DRP

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And yes, they did go to the Mariner's game!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts