Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been up there for the spring run, but am intending to this year. Do I need to hire a guide or can I figure it out myself relatively quick? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Cajun: CAKE

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nothing wrong with getting a guide for a first time trip somewhere new but if you are a little tight with the cash just pay attention to the posts on here. Most people on here are pretty liberal with the hot locations and tactics during the walleye run on the river. With that information alone you should be able to easily get some walleye in the boat. If not just ask and I am sure someone here will have the answer you are looking for.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Very easy to get on fish in the spring...Launch out of Elizabeth Park in Trenton and fish south of the Grosse Ile bridge (which is located immediately south of the launch). The Edison warm water dishcarge is along the West shore and is a fish magnet in the Spring...just look for the boats...

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I am sure there will be numerous posts on here where the fish are biting, but for your first time you may want to hire a guide to show you the proper boat control and equiptment. DRP is a guide on the river (Detroit River Pimp), his name is Jon Bondy. One of the best there is and he is an All Star Pro Staffer, and touring pro on the BASS circuit.
I am sure he will reply to this once he logs on.

Mini

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Cajun,
There are many aspects that you must master in order to properly jig the river. Here's my equipment: 6lb test mono, 6' fast action rod (I use an AllStar-model AST725S), a 1/4 to 1/2 oz jig with a sharp quality hook, not the 25 cent ones you buy in bulk, and a plastic trailer. Personally I use a any form of 3-4" straight tail worm. I also rig a quality swivel on my line about 16" up to minimize line twist.
You need to master the use of your electric motor so your boat drifts at exactly the same speed the current is going. The wind is the enemy, it works to push your boat off its mark. The more wind, the more you use the electric to fight it. You have to keep your line absolutely vertical as you drift down the river. As you do this, hop it 6-12" off the bottom at a steady pace. Don't rip it up, just slowly lift it. As soon as you feel it touch bottom, immediately lift again as they will hit it as it's falling. The bites will feel like a perch tap, and you have to be quick. All this sounds simple, but there is a knack to it.
Since they have asked us not to post websites, you can find mine by doing a search about 'Detroit River Walleye' or 'Lake St.Clair Fishing' on Yahoo or Google etc.
Good Luck, DRP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts