Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new digital camera that's fairly small and fits in a pocket, my camera is too big. I take a lot of pictures in poor lighting and at night which currently requires a lot of editing to make them look decent. Any suggestions, and possibly a sample pic, would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I have a Canon G3. I like it alot.
Its probably a little bigger than you want though. the current Model is the G5.

its little cousin is the Canon Powershot S50.

review here

not sure how the night shots are. typically a bigger lens allows more light in for night shots. (my G3 has a nice lens, but I have not taken many night shots yet..)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Dido for me! Tommy (Intimidator) and I have almost the same camera just a different year. I'm also in the market for another digital except much smaller and one that takes great pics in low light situations. I have an Olympus Optical Zoom 8X. It works great outside and when you have to zoom in something really close except it sucks in dark rooms. The flash is actually way to bright.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
All I can say is THANK GOD for digital cameras! I'm sitting here scanning in 70-year-old family pictures for my mother-in-law. I've just passed the 200 count mark, and have AT LEAST that many more to go yet.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Feb 2 2004, 08:40 PM)All I can say is THANK GOD for digital cameras! I'm sitting here scanning in 70-year-old family pictures for my mother-in-law. I've just passed the 200 count mark, and have AT LEAST that many more to go yet.

It is worth it

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Feb 2 2004, 08:43 PM)It is worth it

Why's that?

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Feb 2 2004, 08:44 PM)QUOTE(threecrabs @ Feb 2 2004, 08:43 PM) It is worth it

Why's that?
Puff....they will be saved forever (so long as you don't ruin the cd)!!! and it makes sharing with the family much easier and cheaper than making copies someplace.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(threecrabs @ Feb 2 2004, 08:48 PM)
Puff....they will be saved forever (so long as you don't ruin the cd)!!! and it makes sharing with the family much easier and cheaper than making copies someplace.
I guess. I don't even know who most of the people are. And they're all so faded or discolored that I have to adjust each picture in Photoshop.

Plus, my butt is sore from this chair.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I had a Kodak DX3700 (traded it for a JVC cam-corder
)
takes great pics but the battery life sucks.
I hear the new Kodaks are better.
Everyone I know that has a Kodak likes it.

FYI:
After about two months the screen on my camera went out. I called Kodak and sent it in. I had a replacement in the mail in less then two weeks......great customer service by Kodak.....

I think aFireman has a Kodak also......

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Feb 2 2004, 08:51 PM)I don't even know who most of the people are. And they're all so faded or discolored that I have to adjust each picture in Photoshop.

Plus, my butt is sore from this chair.

Back to topic....what kinda camera do you have and do you like it???

·
Registered
512 Posts
We use the Fuji Finexpix 3800

3.24 megapixels (effective), 6x optical zoom/3.2x digital zoom, auto focus only, program and manual exposure, JPEG file format only, ISO 100 only, 4 AA batteries, movie mode with sound.

I know several people with the FinePix series and are very very happy with quality. Never any problems.

Now, this model doesn't fit your requirement of fitting in your pocket (unless you regularly wear something like army fatigues
)

But... if you want some research for some that do, check this link:

Full Line Comparison of Fuji Digital Cameras

·
Registered
605 Posts
i have a kodak ck4230 2meg pic easy to operate greet pic $150 get the camera dock one button down loads and charges your battery the same time .!

G

·
i like kodak, for how easy the soft ware is to use.
the next one will be a lot better.
this low end one i have now i really good, but lack in a couple of areas.
but its great for the outdoors camera, i'll be taking it w/me in the sandrail , hunting , fishing,etc...
if it breaks i'm not out a lot of money.
just my .02 $
keith

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a Kodak DX6490. It has a fantastic Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon10X optical lens, long battery life, nice large display and really easy to use software. It may be slightly physically larger than you are looking for and with a 256MB memory card its cost is about $525 but my opinion is that it is worth the price. I have owned a Canon PowerShot A70 and a Fuji FinePix S3000 and have found the Kodak to be superior in almost all areas including low light focusing, focus speed, shutter lag and the lens.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used to work in the electronics section at Target, so I am fairly familar with digital cameras (probably more so than most people that work in similar type places), plus I own and use one all the time. The key things to look at are optical zoom and the amount of megapixles. Do not pay any attention to digital zoom, it is completly usless as you can do the same thing on any computer. In your case size is also important.
I would suggest a canon elph. They are very small, and ruged. The case is steel, so it would be safe in your pocket (I have one and it has survived a few drunken nights in my pocket. My cell phone has not been so fortunate). That is a biased opinion since I own one though. The draw back to the elph's is they don't have a lot of zoom, or atleast they did'nt when I got mine (mine is s110, I think they are up to s400 now).
Kodak also makes great quality camera's, but there are a little larger in size and probably don't fit in your pocket.
Sony makes a really small camera, but in my opinion it is not a good camera.
Keep in mind that although the more megapixles, the better, you probably won't be able to tell any difference past 3 mega pixles. Anything more would be like having a kick azz computer to play solitare on.
Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
QUOTE(Big_Mike_LCA @ Feb 3 2004, 12:48 PM)I used to work in the electronics section at Target, so I am fairly familar with digital cameras (probably more so than most people that work in similar type places), plus I own and use one all the time. The key things to look at are optical zoom and the amount of megapixles. Do not pay any attention to digital zoom, it is completly usless as you can do the same thing on any computer. In your case size is also important.
I would suggest a canon elph. They are very small, and ruged. The case is steel, so it would be safe in your pocket (I have one and it has survived a few drunken nights in my pocket. My cell phone has not been so fortunate). That is a biased opinion since I own one though. The draw back to the elph's is they don't have a lot of zoom, or atleast they did'nt when I got mine (mine is s110, I think they are up to s400 now).
Kodak also makes great quality camera's, but there are a little larger in size and probably don't fit in your pocket.
Sony makes a really small camera, but in my opinion it is not a good camera.
Keep in mind that although the more megapixles, the better, you probably won't be able to tell any difference past 3 mega pixles. Anything more would be like having a kick azz computer to play solitare on.
Hope that helps
I agree with BIG_MIKE...

I bought the Canon Powershot S400 for Christmas and I couldn't be happier with the quality of pictures, ease of use and downloading and durability for its size. This is one of the best digital elph cameras that Canon makes and I would highly recommend it.

www.powershot.com

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
i agree with mike and mongo. i bought a canon elph s400 and LOVE it!

i bought a 256 mb card and can fit over 400 photos on it at a good enough resolution to print 13 X 20 posters.

I also recommend shutterfly.com for processing.

here's a bunch of photos i took on a cruise....
PHOTOS

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gus, great pics! I want to go on another cruise now <_<

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! I used to be a manager at Best Buy, but technology has changed so much in the last 6 years I wanted to make sure the brands that were good still are. I have some experince with a G3 and it takes great pics, but I would like something a little smaller.

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts