Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not up on the digital camera situation. I am looking to buy Dolphin a digital camera because I incoporate photographs in my surveys and developing 35 mm on CD is getting expensive.

I am thinking of a camera for like $200 ish with decent zoom and 3.2 megapixels. Can that happen?
What is digital zoom? Optical different??
I have looked at Best Buy and Meijer (they actually havfe a pretty large selection) and Circuit City.
Where else should I look?

I don't need anything really fancy, just taking basic pictures of boats.

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
Try http://computergeeks.com/, I bought my Kodak CX4230 there and it was $70 cheaper than Best Buy and Circuit city. My first digital camera and it takes great pics. 2.1 megapixels which is perfect for printing anything up to 5x7's, and e-mailing. I'm still learning the optical and digital zoom.

good luck

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Very happy with our Sony. Bought it from Circuit City. People were very helpful. Buy extra batteries and bigger card (or try to get them to throw it in
)

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
The Sony outlet in Birchrun has some good deals. We have a Mavica , paid $300.00 for it 4 yrs ago (maybe 5) but at the time everywhere else they were alot more $$$.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just got one off ebay, 3.2M pixtels. $80 with shipping. Vivitar.

FYI, more pixtels=better picture.

1.2 M= virtualy useless for anything but outside well lighted.

2.0= doing ok, but will be disappointed indoors

3.2= good pictures in and out, but will wish had more

More memory means greater number of pictures, while enabling you to select different levels of picture clarity.

I.E 64M of Scandisk memory lets me save 65 pictures at 1024X680 pictures, whereas I could save 350 pictures at 128X64.

Digital pictures will only be a s good as how they are viewed. I.E. on screen looks great, on paper looks good. Digital pictures don't have the ability to saturate like good ole film does.

OK, I know this is a bit too much, but I found this all out in the past few days so i felt like sharing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
When looking at the cameras if your looking for zoom get the most you can OPTICAL, digital just makes the square pixls larger, kinda like enlarging the 35mm and getting a grainy print, the more you enlarge, the more grain the pic has. Optical, if you shoot a good pic the computer can zoom in before you print and give a better enlargement. They have different ways to store the image also, floppy-old, don't even know if you could still buy one, disc-good but limited storage space if you take alot of pics carring extra discs could be a pain, Sony smartstick good but can only buy sony product can also get different capacities of memory, Compact flash (CF) and Smart Media, unless your strickly a sony person go with either of these and you can buy upgrade memory at a computer store relativly cheap. If you can get one that has a battery pack that doesn't remember its charge, don't bother with AA batteries if you do please tell me what kind you use so I can buy stock in that company
I can take a couple hundred pics/delete pics before recharging and thats with the LCD screen running (yes, I also have a spare battery pack for those blond moments). I like the canon line, but eveyone has their own preferences.

Cheers
Tony

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
all I know about digital cameras is I need to get one. thanks for starting this thread, It should come in handy

G

·
For reviews of digital cameras, including specs and sample pictures and video, go to http://www.steves-digicams.com/

I spent a long time looking and researching and just got a Canon A70. I bought it because it works like a regular point and shoot and it also gives you the option of manual control like an SLR camera. I watched the Sunday paper ads and got it at Office Max when they were throwing in a free 128 MB CF card. I might have found it a little cheaper on ebay, but I like having someone local I can take it back to if there's a problem. Good luck...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Be careful buying off ebay. Make sure the camera is ment to be sold in the US, many sold on ebay are Canadia cameras that don't have a warrenty good in the US.
Check out www.onecall.com
Brands I would recomend would be Canon, Kodak, and Olympus. Sony's tend have all kinds of flashy features, but when it comes down to taking pictures, they fall behind.
Super7 is right about optical zoom, don't even look at digital zoom, it is useless.
2.1 megapixels is more than enough for the amature photographer. You can print an 8X10 the same quality as 35mm, and 11X14 with a barley noticable difference. I would not recomend anything much over 3 as it is probably a waste of moeny for what you are doing.

Most of this info comes from a Kodak rep that I used to talk to when I worked at target. Hope this helps.

·
AKA: Veronique
1,218 Posts
Hazy here,

I usually include 1 large 5x7 photo in each survey + up to 18 other smaller photographs, so 2 or 2.1 seems like it will be fine according to everybody here.

Thanks everybody

1 - 13 of 13 Posts