Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have found that keeping from the rub rail up to be pretty troublesome. You know the trails of dirt left when rainwater washes dirt and dust off of the topside of the boat (especially the canvas). Soap and a brush do not seem to do anything. What does everyone use? I need something strong enough, but will not strip the wax off. In fact an orbital waxer seems to be the only good way I have found to get rid of this.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
From the sounds of it I wouldn't be concerned about stripping wax. Sounds like ya may need a little bit of compounding and polishing. The reason stains "bite" in is the gelcoat is porous. The more it oxidizes the more porous it becomes thus allowing the stains to stick better. When you properly polish and wax the gelcoat your removing the chalked gelcoat and then sealing the remaining pores to help prevent anything from sticking. Things will still stain it but its easier to get the simple stuff off like dirt streaks and footprints.
If you want the easie approach then the mild acid cleaners that will strip the wax work. The reason they work is they soak into the gelcoat and dissolve the dirt instead of simply washing it off. I think starbrite had a product called non-skid deck cleaner with ptfe? That worked good on the swim platform on ours. That is until i wheeled the S#!t out of it and now water actually beads. Ya its now a death trap.
Good luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the same problem and my boat has many coats of wax

MacRay and jet fuel

Here is the secret (Plexus) it is not only for eisenglass

You will never use anything else it is wax based and adds wax while cleaning

Give it a try and let me know what you think and then I will let know where to buy it for 12.00 a can

Cheers BRB

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
For non-skid cleaning, I use Starbrite non-skid deck cleaner and a brush, and sometimes
a nylon scrubbie.
I used Woody Wax this year on the non-skid for the first time, and am amazed at how well it works with just one application.
Vitually everything just hoses right off, grease and oil, bird sh** etc.
The tougher stains (around the anchor locker from our lovely lake bottom) have also come off with nothing more than boat soap and a rag.
Deck stays non-slippery with WW too and the stuff goes a long way.
gt

also does a GREAT job restoring and protecting stainless

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. I dug around and found another string about cleaners. I picked up some roll off today. It seems to work pretty well. As for polish and wax, I guess I am going to have to do some serious polish work on the topside this year. I don't know how well I will be able to wheel with the boat in the water. Might have to wait til the Fall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts