Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been catching sheephead this year that look like they've interbred with carp and only gotten the color and the strength. Until last night I blew it off thinking it was the polarized sunglasses but last night I forget them so that rules that out. Anybody else catching these? Until this year I've never seen any sheephead that weren't that nice silver color no matter the size. Seems every one I catch is over 5 lbs. I'll take a pic next time.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I caught one on a rattlin rap that was all of 5 or six pounds and it was golden in color not the typical white(ish) that I've seen before. Might be a matter of where they're being pulled out of too.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 31 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've seen them in both colorations, the silvery and the brownish. Doesn't matter what color they are, they are still fugly fish.

And they smell too.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jul 31 2009, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(kayceedee @ Jul 31 2009, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and their buttholes turn inside out!

I hear they are good smoked...anyone try one yet?

Which end are you supposed to light?

Ya, once sheep get past say the 4lb ranger, they turn brown on top, their fins really show high yellow/white, and yes they buttholes turn inside out haha I'll post a pic of a few dirty sheep's from last year once I get home and let me know if that is the style of Sheep you are seeing...LOL

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Jul 31 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love me my sheepshead

Im probably one of the only people that targets them, lmao!

Nope lol Me and my boy will get some beer and a few dozen worms and head down to this one spot and the Sheephead derby is ON LOL It's all we go for at this spot to see who can catch the biggest one lol

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Thats what i like to do too, just minus the beer, lol. The nice thing is all you have to do is stay until dark and you switch into catfishing mode without having to do anything, lol. If you wanna catch some monster sheeps, trying using shrimp. Its crazy how much the average size went up when i started using them.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Jul 31 2009, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats what i like to do too, just minus the beer, lol. The nice thing is all you have to do is stay until dark and you switch into catfishing mode without having to do anything, lol. If you wanna catch some monster sheeps, trying using shrimp. Its crazy how much the average size went up when i started using them.

Crayfish too
Size goes UP. It's almost always a Big Smallie, a Walleye or a BIG Sheep when I jig with them.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
here are spome pics from last years sheepshead. And yes they are good smoked. I have a recipe in the recipe forum if any wants to try. If you do it right they come out tasting like salmon. And the meat falls away from the bone. MMMMMM MMMMM Good. And yes I know there is a bass and a perch in there. And by the way Bass suck to eat. At least renee says so. That was her first and last bass. I had one years ago and knew never again for me.

Attachments

·
Vendor
539 Posts
The darker coloration/golden and even at times brown color comes from exposure to SUNLIGHT, yep its a tan. If they have been in shallow water during daylight hours the longer they have been there the darker they get. Same as steelhead and salmon. Silver in Lake Michigan and turn darker and more colorful within days of entering a shallow river.

As for eating them I love this topic lol. A few years ago I fed a 6lb sheephead to some walleye fisherman telling them it was walleye. They loved it and wanted to know where I got the batter. It was just Drakes. Its funny how much of what we eat are just stereotypes and in our heads. Such as in Montana whitefish are considered worse eating then carp. People throw them on shore to rot. And when I was in Germany CARP were on the menu at some 5 star restaurants!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Drum eat mainly shellfish...crayfish, clams, snails, quagga and zebra mussels, etc...Depending on the MAIN diet I wouldn't risk it. Those mussles filter out alot of toxins. This is one theory why certain species of duck have reduced numbers, from eating aquatic plats with zebra mussels on 'em. I don't think it was prooven 100% but why take the chance?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sheephead and Sheepshead. Not the same. Sheepshead is a vey tasty saltwater fish.
We have sheephead or freshwater drum.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
QUOTE(yossarian @ Aug 1 2009, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sheephead and Sheepshead. Not the same. Sheepshead is a vey tasty saltwater fish.
We have sheephead or freshwater drum.

All the books i have call freshwater drum sheepshead, not sheephead. The only difference in the flesh is that its alittle less oily then some, and can dry out easier if your not careful. (according to my fish of michigan guide book)

Just researched it some more, i think you might have that mixed up. I think Sheephead is the saltwater fish sheepshead is the nickname for freshwater drum.

Now that ive looked some more im getting saltwater for both names. Who gives a sh!t i aint eating them anyways, lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts