Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was in the moot about 6:30pm ish... (Over near Hammer - I am sure he saw it)
Small group of boats tied up.
Here comes 3 PWC's following each other with about 50 feet between them...

They came crusing through between the boats, half on plane mind you making a huge wake. So, we yelled to the first guy to slow down he ignored us... so we yelled at the next one - he looked at us like, what are you going to do... so the last guy came through and everone around is screaming at him... so he gave us the bird...

Now I am calm person - that was uncalled for, but I blew my stack. And the guy came back to confront us - when he realized that about 10 guys jumped in the water to confront the idiot, in which he wisely took off.

Those guys on the PWC's need to SLOOOOOOOOOW their A$$'s down going around the boats in the moot - cause a bunch us would love to meet a couple of them in a dark alley!

Has anybody had any luck in reporting these kinds of things with the authorities??

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I have made at least a dozen calls over the years to no avail. I just started follwing them to the launch (when I can) and confronting them there. I figure if it escalates to something other than words, the sheriff is right there.

Mini

·
a.k.a EZC
2,010 Posts
Those are the kind of people that give the rest of us (pwc owners) a bad rep. Common sense, people... common sense.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
That's very disrespectful!!! We'll have to chase them down and teach them a lesson!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
was it three yellow jet skis, if it was they were doing it down the middle of the gautlet and were flipping off people who complained and then circle back and try to be tough guys

G

·
A friend once tried to go over a ski rope at idle with a pwc and the impeller sucked it up bad and shut the ski down. We had to tow it back, pull it and hack away with a utility knife to get the huge ball of line off the impeller shaft.

So I had thought that it might be a good idea to have a 50' poly line that floats to throw out in the water when the idiots go by. Preferably dark so it wouldn't stand out in the water. I'm not talking the average PWC rider who will idle through a raft of boats, or the clueless who will go on half plane but slow down when you tell them. It's the a$$holes who flip you off that would get shut down.

The law says if you pass a boat within 100' it must be at no-wake speed. I had a guy go by my boat a couple of years ago repeatedly at half plane not 25' away. It's the untrainable idiots who know nothing of the law or common sense that are the problem.

·
Registered
513 Posts
8myl and myself were shooting the breeze on the swim platform yesterday and those same 3 yellow jetskies came thru about 30 feet away like you said half on plane.

We also yelled at them also with nothing happening but, the first two smiling as they went by and the last one had girl driving?? and the guy behind just looking back as if he was gonna do something.......

"EZC" don't take me wrong I am not angry at you or any other rider that uses their heads! I agree they are a blast..... ok enough I am getting mad again.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it was those 3 yellow sea doo's!!!!

I agree with all of what you are saying - couple rotten apples ruin the lot!

Trust me I not against PWC's - I've had standups and sitdowns.... but have some respect for other boaters...

Its dangerous to throw wakes when boats are rafted up....

Throwing a line in the water is a good idea - but I would hate to catch some of the good apples....you know...

I did suck up some fishing line with my stand up one time.... what a fricking mess that was!!!! hmmm

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I hate those friggin' water knats!
It's not ignorance on their part, you'll see the sly grin that tells you that they know exaclty what their doing--it just that there's no one in authority to enforce the rules. Don't get me wrong, those who play by the rules I have NO problem with. EZC, feel free to jump my wake anytime--as long as you stay the legal distance from my boat!

I chased a couple of 'em down last year, but it was pretty hard to beat the living sheot out of a couple of 16 year olds. I have since changed my "policy" regarding water knats. I see them coming at my wake, and they get too close, and then get cocky about it, I turn and aim my boat right at them, throttle up and go right after THEM in the same way! Believe me, they like it alot less when you jump their wake than peeps in boats do!

They may be able to out maneuver me, but I got the speed and I stick with it, and eventually the pounding over the chop as they try to evade me takes it's toll. If their lucky, they get to a canal or shore ahead of me. 2wice I've ended up just doing circles around exhausted idiot knat drivers!

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(Fortutious @ Aug 2 2004, 12:12 PM)Yesterday I was in the moot about 6:30pm ish... (Over near Hammer - I am sure he saw it)
Small group of boats tied up.
Here comes 3 PWC's following each other with about 50 feet between them...

They came crusing through between the boats, half on plane mind you making a huge wake. So, we yelled to the first guy to slow down he ignored us... so we yelled at the next one - he looked at us like, what are you going to do... so the last guy came through and everone around is screaming at him... so he gave us the bird...

Now I am calm person - that was uncalled for, but I blew my stack. And the guy came back to confront us - when he realized that about 10 guys jumped in the water to confront the idiot, in which he wisely took off.

Those guys on the PWC's need to SLOOOOOOOOOW their A$$'s down going around the boats in the moot - cause a bunch us would love to meet a couple of them in a dark alley!

Has anybody had any luck in reporting these kinds of things with the authorities??
Yeah, they came right next to our 13 boat raft!!!
I hopped in the dinghy and chased after them. I yelled "hey, do you know the 100' rule?" One guy yells back "do you know the shut the f#$K up rule?"
Hmmmmm, nope I don't know that one I thought, but I do know the call the sheriff on the VHF rule. So off to my boat I go, see the sheriff 100 yards out, hail him on the radio channel 16, tell him that the 3 yellow jet ski's (he already knew it was them must have had calls already) wanted to learn about the 100' rule first hand from them. He answered no problem hammertime. On go the flashers and he pulls them over. There were cheers coming from all 3 rafts by us.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Aug 2 2004, 06:28 PM)On go the flashers and he pulls them over. There were cheers coming from all 3 rafts by us.

Rich hailed on ch. 16 as soon as you took off in the dingy.....I think someone else radioed about them, too.

They were rude IDIOTS! My 6 yr. old was going around the rail to the bow.....She could have been thrown

3crabs will chime in later on this one......he's got more to add.

G

·
Way to go guys! From the sound of it, they probably got told to slow down from a lot of people that day. Good free advice. But no, they had to find out they were idiots from someone who can hit them with a fine. haha. I do hope the sherriff gave them tickets instead of a warning.

·
Registered
991 Posts
This has been the year of idiots on jet skis. The little I have been on the lake this year its the worst I have seen. Sunday after the Sunsation Rally one of our out-of-towners spun his boat out at 45mph swerving to miss a jetski. The jet ski jumped the wake of a cruiser coming the opposite way so as he shot over the wake from behind the boat he never seen the Sunsation coming. Both people on the jet ski flew off as the driver swerved to avoid the Sunsation. They were within inches of the transom of the Sunsation.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Your welcome hammer.
I had talked to them earlier and was just waiting to see if they learned there lesson from our discussion. There were 4 guys together the red one was sinking that was one reason for them making a wake. No excuse but he have it towed a few weeks earlier and it cost him several hundred bucks to get it towed home. I would have ticketed them but got a call of a injury in munchies bay. Lucky for the guys on the pwc's but I am sure I will run across them again. I work to many hours for me not to see them again unless they obey the rules. The only thing I will say in their defense is whom ever threw beer cans (if anyone did) at them was also wrong. You "could" get fined for a few things by doing so. PWC's ( and I have owned them) are much like people with offshores (which I am one) a few who do not obey the law make it bad for all of us. I guess you could say that about alot of thing.

·
Registered
954 Posts
2 wrongs don't make a right. To whomever did or has Please don't throw things or go after the people who are doing wrong. Call on the radio or call your locall sheriff (if in the moot 800-462-7111). If you hit somebody with a beer can and cause bodily harm you may end up in jail, same thing if you assualt somebody. Please let me take care of the problems (or whoever comes) We may take some time to get there but we will come ASAP. I had to leave when somebody got hurt at munchies bay. The injury took priority as you would expect. We will come on all calls based on the need. I was there on a complaint before Hammer called and I was staying around to make sure all was calm, as it turned out the guys in the PWC's should have been issued a ticket but I was needed elsewhere. Don't ruin your day by becoming the one who gets arrested when the other guy was really at fault. Sorry I will stop preaching. I like, all the people on this board am a boater and love to boat and that is why I joined the marine patrol. I figured the only way to make a change was to become more involved. I needed this scond job like I needed a hole in the head, but I do enjoy this job as a marine deputy, because I can make a diffeance on what is happening to the sport I enjoydoing with my family and friends. Enough said sorry for the long post

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.