Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've heard of people diving near/under the bridge in Port Huron. Lisa the owner of Anchor Bay Scuba does a trip there, you may want to contact her. She does a great job, we've used her pool and tanks a few times.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
You gotta be kidding!! The lake is only 20 feet at its' deepest! And the bottom is full of some pretty nasty heavy metal(not the music!) kind of carcinogenic crap. As clean as they say the water is, no one ever comments on the sh!t that's been deposited on the bottom. How many million people use it as their primary drainage? Even with the strict state rules governing sewage/waste, this many people so close has a devastaing effect on the quality of the local bioshpere. Just take a look at the Clinton river. Most of Oakland County uses the Clinton for it's primary drainage. Doesn't sound like alot of fun to me. I won't even go into what goes on up river today. Ask any long time local about the different colors that the water used to turn on the St. Clair river. Sorry, it's the biologist/environmentalist in me that's talking. LSC is a beautiful watershed that's been abused for decades. It used to be one of, if not thee best fresh water fishery on the planet. Even today, most of the fish taken from the Great Lakes comes from LSC. Now it's only good to float on, not swim in, in my opinion. Just imagine, even 100 years ago, what a great place it must have been! No more. I won't eat anyting out of it, and rarely swim...

I don't mean to come down so hard on ya, but I'm certified (diver that is!) who took way too many biology courses in college.

I have no interest in diving in LSC.

Huron is different, I'd spend my time up there. There's some divable wrecks that I'd like to visit myself.

just my $0.02

·
Registered
896 Posts
Tried diving in LSC back in the 70s. We suited up, went off the swim deck and headed for the bottom (about 15/20 feet at the time). The visibility was so poor we both rammed our heads into the muck in the bottom. Never even saw it coming. I dove for about ten years and that was my one and only experience in the lake. Go to tobermory or Alpena. Just got back from Beaver Island and have never seen visibility like the water up there. That includes the Caribbean and Australia. A friend of mine up there is a pilot (he owns Island Airways) and he says the Zebra Mussels have cleaned up the lake to the point that he's starting to see shipwrecks he's never seen in thirty years of flying over Lake Michigan.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(Storm @ Aug 12 2003, 07:36 PM)the Zebra Mussels have cleaned up the lake to the point that he's starting to see shipwrecks he's never seen in thirty years of flying over Lake Michigan.
That would be too cool to see!flyin over the lake

1 - 5 of 5 Posts