Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read that Grandmole is at it again she and her moles abolished the DNR & DEQ and created new agency by executive order and takes effect january 17 2010 what does this mean for all the hardworking men and woman(1700 DEQ)&(3000 DNR) nobody knows does not sound good.Her cherry I mean John Cherry was quoted as traveling around to town hall meetings listening to the people about how to streamline government. This scares the heck out of me,I am all for streamlining gov but the way it sounds its gonna cost us in one way or another

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
It just means that there will be fewer managers & supervisors. I'm a state employee & I'd like to see fewer managers & supervisors. There's far too many of them sitting around doing nothing except making up more chit to waste taxpayer money on.

Before Engler left the state hired a consulting firm that they paid $2 million to tell the state how to be more efficient. The firm said the state was to top heavy with managers & supervisors & at least 33% needed to be cut. The state did what the firm suggested but when Jenny took over she reversed that & now there are even more managers & supervisors than before they made the cuts before. Plus under Jenny the number of state employees grew by 5,000+ while the state losses an average of 5,000 residents a year. State government should be shrinking with the population not growing.

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(fish2liv @ Oct 29 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just read that Grandmole is at it again she and her moles abolished the DNR & DEQ and created new agency by executive order and takes effect january 17 2010 what does this mean for all the hardworking men and woman(1700 DEQ)&(3000 DNR) nobody knows does not sound good.Her cherry I mean John Cherry was quoted as traveling around to town hall meetings listening to the people about how to streamline government. This scares the heck out of me,I am all for streamlining gov but the way it sounds its gonna cost us in one way or another

I HOPE THIS IS A GOOD THING, BUT IT MAKES ME NERVOUS. I JUST HOPE PEOPLE DON'T LOOSE THEIR JOBS. BOTH AGENCIES ARE HERE TO PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT, AND THE LIVING SOULS IN IT. THE QUESTION IS, IS JENNY GOING TO MANAGE THIS RIGHT? HERE IS A FUNNY THOUGHT,THE DEQ INSPECTOR THAT DOES MY ANNUAL INSPECTION WILL ALSO CHECK FOR GAME & FISHING LICENSES, LIMITS, KILL TAGS, POACHING, ORV STICKERS, OTHER REGULATIONS OR THE DNR OFFICERS HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO INSPECT A GAS STATION FOR, CATHODIC PROTECTION, INSURANCE, WORKING SAFETY SHUT OFFS, ELECTRICAL GROUND CURRENT, FUEL SPILLS, ENVIRONMENTAL TESTING, TANK REGULATIONS, TIGHTNESS TESTS, WEIGHTS AND MEASURES, FIRE PROTECTION INSPECTION CERTIFICATES AND CORRECT SIGNAGE ON THE PUMPS? LOL JK, JENNY WILL PROBABLY COME UP WITH SOME NEW HALF A** TAX AND OR MORE FEES FOR LICENSES. THEN SHE WILL HAVE TEA AND CRUMPITS WITH OBAMA TO DISCUSS WHAT AREAS OF THE GREAT LAKES WILL BE CLOSED TO RECREATIONAL FISHING. AND, IF I MAY SAY SO, MAKE SURE THE NATIVE AMERICANS HAVE MORE AND WE HAVE LESS AT A BIGGER MONITARY COST. MY INTENTIONS ARE NOT TO OFFEND ANYONE. MY APOLOGIES IF MY OPINION HAS DONE SO.

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Oct 29 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It just means that there will be fewer managers & supervisors. I'm a state employee & I'd like to see fewer managers & supervisors. There's far too many of them sitting around doing nothing except making up more chit to waste taxpayer money on.

Before Engler left the state hired a consulting firm that they paid $2 million to tell the state how to be more efficient. The firm said the state was to top heavy with managers & supervisors & at least 33% needed to be cut. The state did what the firm suggested but when Jenny took over she reversed that & now there are even more managers & supervisors than before they made the cuts before. Plus under Jenny the number of state employees grew by 5,000+ while the state losses an average of 5,000 residents a year. State government should be shrinking with the population not growing.

I AGREE ZIB. MY BRO ALSO WORKS FOR JENNY, THE DEPT. OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY INFRASTRUCTURE SERVICES. HE HAS A MANAGEMENT POSITION AND WAS JUST NOTIFIED THAT NO ONE INCLUDING HIMSELF CAN WORK MORE THAN 4 DAYS A WEEK, NO OVER TIME. YOU KNOW THE SAYING, TOO MANY CHIEFS, NOT ENOUGH INDIANS.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(Nautical Mile bp @ Oct 29 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Zib @ Oct 29 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It just means that there will be fewer managers & supervisors. I'm a state employee & I'd like to see fewer managers & supervisors. There's far too many of them sitting around doing nothing except making up more chit to waste taxpayer money on.

I AGREE ZIB. MY BRO ALSO WORKS FOR JENNY, THE DEPT. OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY INFRASTRUCTURE SERVICES. HE HAS A MANAGEMENT POSITION AND WAS JUST NOTIFIED THAT NO ONE INCLUDING HIMSELF CAN WORK MORE THAN 4 DAYS A WEEK, NO OVER TIME. YOU KNOW THE SAYING, TOO MANY CHIEFS, NOT ENOUGH INDIANS.

THE DEPT. OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY INFRASTRUCTURE is the one department in the state that needs a major upgrade of experienced people. Not saying your brother isn't but the state is lagging WAY behind most states when it comes to technology. They have an IT department just for Treasury & those guys don't know their arse from a hole in the ground. It's sad that I've had to do their job several times because they didn't know how to do certain things.

There are about 12,000 state employees that could retire right now if they wanted to. If they retired the state could hire 1 person for every 4 that left & that would help get some people a job. They hired 16 people for my department back in June & over half the people that applied (150 apps) were OVER qualified for the job. That tell's you how bad it is in Michigan.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing that this does is superseed proposal G that was supposed to take the power to decide on our resources to the people and not executive orders. I totally agree that we need less state supervisers and managers but we also dont need someone who wanted to sell off thousands of acres of state land, deciding who is gonna be appointed director of our natural resources. This comes at a time when we have a great lakes czar appointed by someone who has never even been out on the great lakes.This puzzles me that it is possible when proposal G was passed by a very large margain of the taxpayers that are left in this state.

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Oct 29 2009, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Nautical Mile bp @ Oct 29 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Zib @ Oct 29 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It just means that there will be fewer managers & supervisors. I'm a state employee & I'd like to see fewer managers & supervisors. There's far too many of them sitting around doing nothing except making up more chit to waste taxpayer money on.

THE DEPT. OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY INFRASTRUCTURE is the one department in the state that needs a major upgrade of experienced people. Not saying your brother isn't but the state is lagging WAY behind most states when it comes to technology. They have an IT department just for Treasury & those guys don't know their arse from a hole in the ground. It's sad that I've had to do their job several times because they didn't know how to do certain things.

There are about 12,000 state employees that could retire right now if they wanted to. If they retired the state could hire 1 person for every 4 that left & that would help get some people a job. They hired 16 people for my department back in June & over half the people that applied (150 apps) were OVER qualified for the job. That tell's you how bad it is in Michigan.

SO WHAT DEPT. YOU IN?
MY BRO JUST STARTED THERE 2 YEARS AGO. HE COMPLAINS ABOUT THE SAME THING. HE HAS ABOUT 25 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE. HE MOVED BACK HERE TO MICH. ONLY CUZ DAD GOT SICK.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(Nautical Mile bp @ Oct 29 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>SO WHAT DEPT. YOU IN?
MY BRO JUST STARTED THERE 2 YEARS AGO. HE COMPLAINS ABOUT THE SAME THING. HE HAS ABOUT 25 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE. HE MOVED BACK HERE TO MICH. ONLY CUZ DAD GOT SICK.

I work in the Treasury Dept. I'm your friendly neighborhood tax auditor.
I'd rather be a fraud investigator but I didn't have a 2nd cousin on the interview panel so I didn't get the job.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Fish2 liv has it exactly right. What she is doing is superceeding the will of the people and going back to making the director of the DNR/DEQ a political appointee.

This is in direct conflict with what Proposal G was all about. Either she or the next governer will have the power to appoint whom ever they want to run the department.

If you think it is bad now...wait 'till some yahoo who knows nothing about the outdoor issues starts to run things.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
QUOTE(Craves @ Oct 30 2009, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fish2 liv has it exactly right. What she is doing is superceeding the will of the people and going back to making the director of the DNR/DEQ a political appointee.

This is in direct conflict with what Proposal G was all about. Either she or the next governer will have the power to appoint whom ever they want to run the department.

If you think it is bad now...wait 'till some yahoo who knows nothing about the outdoor issues starts to run things.

yep this is the real problem. We don't need the head of the DNR/DEQ to be a gov appointee. That means it puts the dept in the hands of a gov agneda leader rather then a leader for the outdoorsmen.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
Ongoing streamlining effort abolishes DNR, DEQ; transfers functions to DNRE LANSING - Governor Jennifer M. Granholm today issued Executive Order 2009-45, creating a new Department of Natural Resources and Environment (DNRE) to protect and conserve Michigan's air, water and other natural resources. The new department will assume the powers and functions of the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), which are abolished by the executive order. The order takes effect January 17, 2010. "The Department of Natural Resources and Environment is a new department for the 21st century," Granholm said. "Experience has shown us that conserving natural resources and protecting the environment go hand-in-hand. These efforts now will be coordinated under one department." The new department's mission will be to conserve, manage, protect and promote Michigan's environmental, natural resource, and related economic interests for current and future generations. This includes implementing an ecosystem-based strategy for resource management, effectively using natural resources in a sustainable manner, and providing for continuous improvements in Michigan's air, water and soils while facilitating and encouraging economic growth.
A DNRE director will be appointed by the governor to head the department. From now until January 17, a transition manager will coordinate the transfer of functions to the new state department. The governor today named Bruce Rasher as the transition manager. Replacing two departments with one also is part of the Granholm administration's ongoing efforts to streamline state government. Previously, three state departments, plus more than 150 state boards and commissions, were eliminated. Including the new DNRE, the total number of state departments is now 16. Lt. Governor John D. Cherry, Jr., at the governor's request, is leading a broad review of state government that could eventually result in the number of state departments being reduced to eight. "The new department will be leaner, more efficient and better able to manage our natural resources and protect our environment," Cherry said. "I've been traveling around the state hosting town halls to get the public's input on government streamlining. Creating this new department will put the interests of conservationists at the forefront." Rasher is a former mayor of the city of Marshall and worked for many years for Consumers Energy in areas such as brownfield redevelopment and air quality. He has a bachelor's degree in fisheries and wildlife and a master's degree in business administration and finance. Rasher presently is director of operations, asset repositioning and global corporate services for CB Richard Ellis. The executive order also transfers the Commission of Natural Resources to the DNRE and renames it the Natural Resources Commission. The commission retains its authority to regulate the taking of game and other duties as prescribed by law. The NRC also will advise the director on natural resources and conservation issues.

Several boards, councils or committees are abolished by the executive order. The Site Review Board process is being eliminated for greater efficiency in environmental proceedings. The Citizens Committee for Michigan State Parks and the Water Resources Conservation Advisory Council are abolished and their functions transferred to the Natural Resources Commission.

The Michigan Trailways Advisory Council and the Michigan Snowmobile Advisory Committee also are abolished. Their functions are transferred to a new seven-member Michigan Trails Advisory Council within the DNRE that will advise the governor and the DNRE director on creating, developing, operating and maintaining motorized and non-motorized trails in Michigan.

Several other entities are transferred to the DNRE. They are the Low-Level Radioactive Waste Authority, Mackinac Island State Park Commission, Michigan Forest Finance Authority, Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund Board, and Office of the Great Lakes. The executive order also authorizes the DNRE director to convene a seven-member Environmental Science Review Board composed of experts in biological sciences, chemistry, ecological science, engineering, geology, physics and related disciplines. The board will advise the DNRE on scientific issues affecting the protection and management of Michigan's environment and natural resources.

Also impacted by the executive order is the Department of Agriculture. After the executive order's effective date, the department director will continue to serve as the head of the department; however, in the future, the governor will appoint the department director. The executive order transfers the regulation of horse racing from the Office of Racing Commissioner in the Department of Agriculture to the Michigan Gaming Control Board. The Office of Racing Commissioner and the position of racing commissioner are abolished. The Michigan Gaming Control Board's executive director will perform the functions of racing commissioner. Three agricultural groups - Agricultural Preservation Fund Board, Michigan Family Farm Development Authority, and Pesticide Advisory Committee - are abolished by the executive order and their functions transferred to the Department of Agriculture. A separate executive order (2009-44) abolishes the Michigan Climate Action Council, which completed its work, and the Aquatic Nuisance Species Council.

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Oct 30 2009, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Nautical Mile bp @ Oct 29 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>SO WHAT DEPT. YOU IN?

I work in the Treasury Dept. I'm your friendly neighborhood tax auditor.
I'd rather be a fraud investigator but I didn't have a 2nd cousin on the interview panel so I didn't get the job.

LOL! REMIND ME TO NEVER TICK YOU OFF!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
QUOTE(Craves @ Oct 30 2009, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fish2 liv has it exactly right. What she is doing is superceeding the will of the people and going back to making the director of the DNR/DEQ a political appointee.

The head of the DNR has always been a political appointee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts