Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am keeping my boat in the water this summer and I was told by my dealer that bottom paint is a waste of time and will slow the boat down. Anyone had any bad experiences not using the paint and wish you did?

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
I help my cousin paint his every year. From being around a large group...it sounds like a must when keeping in all season...But I know of a fella that uses some kind of silicon(????) coating.

You need something that is going to prevent attachment to your hull.

I am sure more experienced pro's will comment!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
My first question to you is what boat do you have? If its a go-fast you really dont want bottom paint. Where you slip is also a concern. We slip at Harsens and the water is pretty clean and we dont get near the amount of algea we got at Compass Point in Fair Haven in dirty, muddy water. Lots of variables...

·
12,052 Posts
Ask your dealer if the lawn that will be on the bottom of your boat will slow you down at all.
Stupid thing to say from someone with little knowledge. VC-17 paints have teflon in them and are very slippery and actually increase speed and mileage (in theory). No matter what type of boat you have, stuff will grow on it. Period.

Here's the question......when you take your boat out every weekend do you want to:

A: Have fun, drink beer, look at chicks in bikini's? or

B: Dive under your boat with a scrub brush and clean the bottom?

Those are the only variables on bottom paint I think about.

my .02

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks everyone. I just heard of a new bottom paint that is clear and sprayed on. I really hate the look of the black paint, so I think I might give this a whirl. I will let you all know how it works out....

BTW, I am looking forward to looking at lots of bikini clad women

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I purchased the Silon coating last night for the boat. It is a 5 micron thick polymer coating that is not anti-fouling, but is so slippery that it will take the alge off the bottom by just driving. It is supposed to last 3-5 years and is clear. In addition, test were done that show an improvent in top speed and fuel economy. I got it for a steal and if if works as far as the alge is concerned, I have gotten my money's worth. There is a web site to check it out below. I will keep you all posted on how it looks and works...

http://www.boatbottomcoatings.com/

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks really good. If you get really close you can see the masking line, but from 5 feet away you can't even tell it is there. It hasn't hurt my speed so far and it hasn't been in the ater long enough to grow any fur. I will update you all a little later in the year.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I pick up a gallon of Dolphonite's "Go Fast" bottom paint from Boat/Us the other day. Suppose to increase mpg by 18% and reduce drag by 17%. At $209 a gallon it better do something. Any way, went on real easy with a roller and brush this morning with no drip's or mess. Almost felt like a tar but was much lighter and coated nicely. For my 27'7" Sea Ray, a good coat (including transome) took me about 85% of a gallon. I'm topuching up on the stand and wood resting spots when we lift her and put her in on friday.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts