Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing or Hunting with your Significant Other
Do you like, or even prefer, to enjoy the outdoors with your significant other?
Yes3246.38%
Never1318.84%
Yes but only fishing1623.19%
Yes but only hunting00.00%
Sometimes... maybe 20%57.25%
About half the times I go out34.35%

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
So I had the luck (or misfortune, whichever way you go about it) of meeting a woman who likes to fish and hunt almost as much as I do. So we do fish or hunt together OFTEN. We have the same goals as far as home and land locations, conservation, family, and the outdoors to name a few this sportsman cares about anyway.

Now, I mention this to some fellers, and they cringe, saying the woods, or the boat, is no place for the mrs. Some of these cats are my fishing buddies too, and even tho we have the room, they prefer her not to come (not cause she's not cool, just "cause") so it puts me between a rock and a stacey. Not a good place to be, but she understands not everyone shares my views.

Thank god.

Keep in mind I don't take her out EVERY time I go out, but I do take her about 80% of the time.

I'm curious, however, (thanks to spinnerbait's report with his girl, nice report btw bro) how the peeps here feel about taking, or going out with their significant other huntin or fishin.

Any and all input is welcome, and i'm sure we'll get some pretty interesting views.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
You need to add a "Sometimes" option. My girlfriend is not an outdoors gal, but not because she dislikes it; she's just never been exposed to it. She loves to go fishing with me, but not all the time. I'll admit though, I "prefer" to fish alone, as I can spend 10 hrs out there by myself with the dog, whereas when she's with me, we can do about 4-6 maybe. She's just not hardcore enough to drop 10 hrs on it.

So yes, I "like" it, but I don't "prefer" it "all" the time. I prefer it "some" of the time, but "always" like it when she comes. Does that make sense?

Add a "sometimes" and I'll vote for that one.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
It is about the outdoors and all it has to offer. Good times and good friends, and can bring a couple closer. If my wife didn't like the outdoors i wouldn't force it on her, but may not have married her

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Wife loves catching bluegills in the canals. Does not like the big lake.

Will not carry a gun but will help drag out a deer and walk/sit with me while I grouse/phez/duck hunt.

·
Registered
153 Posts
my wife loves to go fishin with me. she doesnt fish, she just lays out, and reads. as long as the weather is nice she will stay out all day without a complaint. so i always have someone to go out with, it works out great for me!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
If SHE want's to(with good intentions) then of course you DO. Would kinda be mean if you didn't let them, IMO. If she does't have any interest, don't make her go....because that doesn't make sense either. If there is any interest in her at all, then she will show it when shes ready, and then you take her.

You can't expect anyone to like the sames things you do....well, at least not EVERY single one you do.

If she likes it......you're just that much better off and it's just that much better for the relationship. I actually believe it will improve a relationship..and I know many others will agree. Not letting someone go ALL THE TIME because it's a GUY thing is controlling.....and it just aint right and it might mean you have psychological problems. lol

my .07 cents

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
i agree with esoxfly i'd take her as much as i could but she's only good for a couple hours and never go hunting with me. she would stay at camp while i hunt and has said she would i'm going to try her this year.
but i see know problem just brings you closer

·
Registered
88 Posts
Put me down for a yes! I met and married a great girl, who, rides HRE OWN motorcycle, likes to fish. and the comon ground we have is the size of Texas! I take her fishing w me every chance we get! It does cause some friction w my fishing buddies but more often than not they agree that its extra line in the water giving us that much more yummies for the fish fry!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
yes she will go but we split our fishing. she prefers to drift and catch whatever bites where i prefer trolling. but shell stay home if im going with people she doesnt know. i also buy her american and canadian license so when she does want to go im covered to run the xtra rods

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
My wife doesn't hunt or fish. She has fished with me twice on Houghton Lake on my in-laws pontoon boat, the first time was for 2.5 hours & she caught 6 walleye to my 2.
She has never been in my boat & said she never will. She said she would never hunt with me & doesn't want me to bring my kill home but I still do.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can't complain at all, not only does my girlfriend like to go up north during hunting season and cook for me but 2 years ago I shot a 5 point opening night of bow and she took it into the farmer for processing for me the next morning so I could hunt again. We're talking about a girl who doesn't like touching worms, but she still dragged a buck out of the back of my truck and into the cooler of the processor, what a girl.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am pretty lucky, my wife loves to fish, but she understands that sometimes it's just gonna be the fellas, she doesnt hunt deer (yet) but she has her own stand up in the woods and she will go out there and sit just to enjoy the peacefulness, and she loves to go to the range and burn through some powder she has her own handgun(S&W), and a lever action 45 lc and a ranch rifle, like I said, I'm lucky.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm with Esoxfly on this one. I can drop 10 - 12 hours real easy on fishing where she has a hard time going that long. There are days when I just enjoy being on the water by myself. Just me, the breeze and fish. Going it alone is easier since I don't have to worry about getting and keeping the boat in position for 2 people. I do like hitting the lake with her as much as possible though.
As long as I can get a few days here and there by myself on the lake I'm good with the rest of it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Aug 5 2009, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm with Esoxfly on this one. I can drop 10 - 12 hours real easy on fishing where she has a hard time going that long. There are days when I just enjoy being on the water by myself. Just me, the breeze and fish. Going it alone is easier since I don't have to worry about getting and keeping the boat in position for 2 people. I do like hitting the lake with her as much as possible though.
As long as I can get a few days here and there by myself on the lake I'm good with the rest of it.

You are just lucky I cannot control the boat/trailer by myself.
So I let you go with me to handle that stuff.

I cannot handle all day of fishing. I hate the sun and bugs so that limits the time I spend. With no potty on the boat I cant pee overboard so holding it all day sucks too.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Yes. If the sig, other wants to go, she's top prior. When we started going out, 24-25 years ago, she went fishing and hunting with me all the time. She didn't hunt, but she would let me put scent balls (cotton with Doe Urine/Tinks Esterous Doe in heat stuff on her little boots and walk the perimeter of my hunting spot for me). Was worth a ZILLION Bucks, no pun intended. She brought my first Buck in for me doing this. She also used to sleep at the Spillway on a blanket ALL NIGHT while I fished, just to be there with me.

Another time we almost got sank by a freighter in 1985- 86 when my motor fell off my boat in the SCR at night drifting for Walleyes. Passed right in front of it when that happened. had to keep her from jumping and trying to swim to shore. Close call and too long a story for here. Needless to say she said never again to that SCR fishing, and she meant no more SCR fishing. She passes every time.

She lets me go with other girls fishing if she doesn't feel like going, but no Bikini's. I can live with that. I have to say she has first option to go on any hunting or fishing trip because of that, then if she passes, the other peeps get to go instead.

Was glad she went out a few weeks ago with me Muskie fishing, and acted like a pro, and glad SHE let Stormchaser (Jason) go too, and we all had a good time!
I guess I got lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She does hate the fish flies and gets pissed if I try to stay out in those though, I only push it a little bit with that cause she can be hell on wheels.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
QUOTE(propwash @ Aug 6 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes. If the sig, other wants to go, she's top prior. When we started going out, 24-25 years ago, she went fishing and hunting with me all the time. She didn't hunt, but she would let me put scent balls (cotton with Doe Urine/Tinks Esterous Doe in heat stuff on her little boots and walk the perimeter of my hunting spot for me). Was worth a ZILLION Bucks, no pun intended. She brought my first Buck in for me doing this. She also used to sleep at the Spillway on a blanket ALL NIGHT while I fished, just to be there with me.

Another time we almost got sank by a freighter in 1985- 86 when my motor fell off my boat in the SCR at night drifting for Walleyes. Passed right in front of it when that happened. had to keep her from jumping and trying to swim to shore. Close call and too long a story for here. Needless to say she said never again to that SCR fishing, and she meant no more SCR fishing. She passes every time.

She lets me go with other girls fishing if she doesn't feel like going, but no Bikini's. I can live with that. I have to say she has first option to go on any hunting or fishing trip because of that, then if she passes, the other peeps get to go instead.

Was glad she went out a few weeks ago with me Muskie fishing, and acted like a pro, and glad SHE let Stormchaser (Jason) go too, and we all had a good time!
I guess I got lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She does hate the fish flies and gets pissed if I try to stay out in those though, I only push it a little bit with that cause she can be hell on wheels.

lol That was a fun night for sure! She was quite the pro that night as well. I personally was very impressed for being her first time ski casting. She's definitely got it inside of her...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Also a yes for me but "sometimes". Same as most guys here, 10-12 hours for me is no prob but after 4 she's had enough.

QUOTEI cannot handle all day of fishing. I hate the sun and bugs so that limits the time I spend. With no potty on the boat I cant pee overboard so holding it all day sucks too.

I'd bet thats it with "most" women, but not all. The sun isn't bad but most girls don't like bugs. As far as the potty thing, get a boat with a cuddy then buy a porta-potty. We did, fits the boat good. Would that alone make a diff?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts