Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received my documentation certificate from the Coast Guard for my boat. I was wondering if anyone who has their boat documented without displaying MC numbers (just displaying the square Michigan registration tag) has had any problems with any law enforcement questioning them. You don't have to display your MC numbers on a documented vessel in Michigan, but I want to avoid drawing any attention to myself.

Have a good time at Put In Bay this weekend! I would like to take my boat down there but I am on call Sat. and Sun. so I have to stay close to home.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have never heard of anyone having a problem but one good way to advoid some hassel would be to have a red Vessel Safety Check decal in your port side window.....contact MrBig on the board for more details.....

·
12,052 Posts
I know a few peeps that got questioned about it, but I would go with nocode's idea.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone that would pull you over will Know about documentation and could not give you any type of citation for not displaying your MC's but in my opinion not having them on your boat will probably get you pulled over much more frequently.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I once had a 37' offshore that was documented, I was pulled over so often for no MC's that I finally went to the secretary of state and paid to have it registered, no tickets just a hassle though. I was a magnet to the patrol boats at Metro beach.

That realy sucks because of the sales tax I know; just had a thought what about MC's displayed from your dinghy or something?

May not be totally legal however if they are in your name and you have documentation papers do not know what would happen ; it would sure avoid the hassles though?

What do you think?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I once had a 37' offshore that was documented, I was pulled over so often for no MC's that I finally went to the secretary of state and paid to have it registered, no tickets just a hassle though. I was a magnet to the patrol boats at Metro beach.

That realy sucks because of the sales tax I know; just had a thought what about MC's displayed from your dinghy or something?

May not be totally legal however if they are in your name and you have documentation papers do not know what would happen ; it would sure avoid the hassles though?

What do you think?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info everyone.

Sorry to hear about your experience Premo Too. I think I will probably end up putting on the MC numbers to avoid the hassle that you had. The boat is 32 Sunsation so I don't have a dingy ( for the boat ). I recently brought it out of storage from Canada and the US Customs guy advised me to put some numbers on it also. He said he would pull me over if he didn't see them even though he knows they don't need to be there. Nice guy.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I have seen boats that place their documented name in place of mc numbers. I also belive documented boats can only be boarded by the coast guard.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Documented boats can be boarded by any enforcement office (with just cause). I will say it is unusal that a 32 offshore being documented (my 34 offshore is documented). This would (will) catch the eye of many enforcement people. Most will just ask where your numbers are. Some will end it at that. Some will request your MC numbers and run it through the system to verify that it is documented. My humble opinion is if your never going to have any beer, booze on your boat don't put the numbers on it. If you going to have adult beverages it would be just your luck you get stopped for no numbers and you've had a couple of adults pops. The law does state you don't need your number when your documented but it's your call. By the way you'll love the Sunsation I have had 3 of their boats a 24 and 2 32's. Great boat and great guys.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Gary864. My MC numbers will be ready on Wednesday. I kind of thought that I would be better off putting numbers on my boat because it is such a small boat to be documented. I wasn't planning on documenting it, but it was part of the financing package.

Joe, Wayne, and Dave at Sunsation have been a pleasure to work with and they build a great product. This is my first Sunsation while my brother had a 25 and recently took delivery of his 32. I am looking forward to my first full season on the new boat.

Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts