Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
I had Vista Premium on my laptop, but upgraded to a new HD. I only have a vista basic disc that came with my last laptop that I could use to reload an OS.

I, of course, have a legitimate license # for Vista Premium that came with my laptop, I just need a Vista Premium disc. The way vista works is you can use any disc - because your license # is printed on the side of your desktop or the bottom of your laptop - and the OS is now activated online or over the phone, so you cant pirate software anymore.

Does anybody have a Vista Home Premium disc that came with their computer/laptop that I could borrow?

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(Chriznat @ Sep 17 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had Vista Premium on my laptop, but upgraded to a new HD. I only have a vista basic disc that came with my last laptop that I could use to reload an OS.

I, of course, have a legitimate license # for Vista Premium that came with my laptop, I just need a Vista Premium disc. The way vista works is you can use any disc - because your license # is printed on the side of your desktop or the bottom of your laptop - and the OS is now activated online or over the phone, so you cant pirate software anymore.

Does anybody have a Vista Home Premium disc that came with their computer/laptop that I could borrow?
Dude, when you get a new hard drive you are suposed to ghost (or your prouct of choice) the old one to the new one so you don't lose anything.

·
Registered
22,946 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Sep 18 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat @ Sep 17 2009, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had Vista Premium on my laptop, but upgraded to a new HD. I only have a vista basic disc that came with my last laptop that I could use to reload an OS.

Dude, when you get a new hard drive you are suposed to ghost (or your prouct of choice) the old one to the new one so you don't lose anything.

Yeah, you're supposed to buy an empty external drive case so you can clone first, than end up with a new handy dandy hard drive for backups.

Of course I'm used to the Mac OS. No serial numbers or hardware checks to deal with.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My old HD has the Acer proprietary (read: bloat) software on it that I dont ever want to see again, one of the reasons I didnt ghost it. But Stodge - today it made me 're-activate' Vista again (this is the 2nd time) so if asks for activation a 3rd time, Im going to take you up on that offer

Right now I have the old HD in and am transferring all of my music/email/pictures to my server at work. Because I tried doing parts of it on a 16gb flash drive (bad idea - estimated transfer time was over 3 hours) aye aye aye!

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
For about $20 you can get an enclosure for the new drive that will make it work like a big flash drive. You plug it into the laptop and access it directly. Or you switch drives, install the new O/S on the new drive, put the old drive in the enclosure and copy from it to the new drive. Then when you're done you can format the old drive and have a nice backup device.

·
Registered
22,946 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Sep 18 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For about $20 you can get an enclosure for the new drive that will make it work like a big flash drive. You plug it into the laptop and access it directly. Or you switch drives, install the new O/S on the new drive, put the old drive in the enclosure and copy from it to the new drive. Then when you're done you can format the old drive and have a nice backup device.
Exactly!

I've been doing that for so long, I have an 8 GB 2.5" drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.