Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me stubs and allaboutfishing headed out today and i only got into three fish two perch and a rockie. they were getting perch left and right. i keep my rods in my engine compartment on my boat and think that my lines are satuarated with fuel smells and thats causing me to get less fish.

we went home with 12 perch from 7.5" to 11.5" two big sunnies. we were off the point at metro in about 8-10ft of water. could have got into them more bujt i blew my water pump and had to rigg the bilge up to pump water thru the motor. it worked good enough to let us keep fishing but we couldnt move around much.

so whats you take on fumes affecting line. should i store my rods some where else

·
Registered
208 Posts
we had the same set up but i dont store my rods on the boat and he only caught 3 fish and i had so many hits it has to be all the fumes from your motor ill show u take my rod put it down there and watch i wont catch chit well at least then you would stand a chance to out fish me lol still was a good day with everything that happend at least you were out there and didnt get the skunk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey dirty my favorite pole broke on the way home. Nexy time i will start from scratch to see if it helps. lol

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Storing rods in the engine compartment is never a good idea. Not only does nylon and plastic quickly absorb fumes, orders, and what not. The heat from the engine, oil and other petrolium products also can and do breakdown the fishing line and cause it to deteriorate at a higher rate of speed.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
It's also important to keep mono out of direct sunlight. The darker, the better. If I recall correctly, UV light causes it to deteriorate. Not so for braid and fluorocarbon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts