Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that this low pressure system is going to be with us for a good part of this week. I have heard that whenever we get a low pressure system the fishing will just shut down.
I know we have knowledgeable fisherman out there. What has your years of angling taught you?

thanks
Jim

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Usually the fish bite good when the pressure first starts to drop, after that they shut down but are still catchable. They got to eat sooner or later.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have been on an inland lake while it was low pressure but a high pressure system was moving in. The bite turned on fast and furious, just about a fish EVERY cast. It's something you don't want to miss, if you can experience it.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jun 29 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>also an east wind shuts the fishing down

I have proven that myth wrong many times over. Hell, my brother-in-law even caught a limit of walleye on Houghton Lake with an east wind (15-20 mph) in under 2 hours & he's not much of a fisherman.

As Al Linder says, "you can't blame the weather for not catching fish. If you didn't catch fish then you did something wrong."

·
Registered
176 Posts
QUOTE(SpinnerBait @ Jun 29 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>dropping or low is better.. high or rising sucks

Amen to that one! I was once told if you have a sinus problem and they are acting up (high pressure after cold front passes) don't bother fishing until that evening. Most of the times that seems to be an accurate statement. But when you plan to be off work and be out there - just have to deal with it and adapt.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well Ill be out everyday of this system Ill let you know as soon as i get back in tom.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I've found catching fish is more about being in the right place at the right time than the weather, aside from considerations that affect fishability.

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Jun 29 2009, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DR.hook @ Jun 29 2009, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>also an east wind shuts the fishing down

I have proven that myth wrong many times over. Hell, my brother-in-law even caught a limit of walleye on Houghton Lake with an east wind (15-20 mph) in under 2 hours & he's not much of a fisherman.

As Al Linder says, "you can't blame the weather for not catching fish. If you didn't catch fish then you did something wrong."

Amen to that brother, when your conditions change your tactics change. You just have know how to adapt and conquer. I do believe that if I do not catch fish it's because I am not doing something right. Blaming the weather is an easy way out and I have been quilty of doing that just to ease my mind but my heart knows it's because I was not doing the right thing to catch them.

·
Registered
605 Posts
QUOTE(aaa @ Jun 30 2009, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>been told out of the east they bite the least , out of the west they bite the best

I always said wind from the east fish will feast. best days have been with east wind

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
i have killed welleye with east winds and fished the same spot 2 days later with west winds and didnt catch as many i believe this is just because i was casting against the shore after the spawn and the wind was moving the bait fish off of shore with the waves i say it depends on what and where your fishing

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
i catch fish in all types of weather systems i just dont do as good in an east wind im not strictly a walleye guy but i do catch my share of fish i manily fish st claire. its just that i have a small boat and when the east winds kick up so does the waves and then im out of there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts