Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that has a 100 + lb. dog that when you walk threw the door he runs, takes a flying leap and jumps on you.......I have tried everything in short of killing the dog to get him to stop this and the owner of this dog has too........ the dog is almost 2 years old. Anyone have any ideas I can try........thanks

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Just walk in with a treat every time and throw it in the opposite direction. That might work.

Or duck and let the dog fly into the door.

Actually, the owner should have the dog restrained or locked up before you even get there.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
As the dog starts to jump put your knee up.....After a few times of running into your knee it should get the hint.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did this too with the knee thing he thought I wanted to play and I think the dog is into pain.......

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
They have some pretty strong shock collars....

You could leave baseball bats outside the front door for arriving guests.....

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
I HAVE A CATTLE PRAD sp? (STICK WITH BATTERIES GIVES A ZAPPER ROO)...........WORKS EVERY TIME

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shock Collar sounds like a good idea.......it might take a strong shock to stop this dog but if it works the dog lives.......

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
if the knee thing didnt work grab his front paws and squeeze real hard and say no .. and then push him away. i personally smack mine a good one and say no when ever they did it . especially when they could ruin someones clothes . and get hairall over them when they dont want it.

i tell people to crack em a good one on the snoot if they ever do that to them.

whats up with the owner ? cant they control there own dog? how rude.

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
I'm having the same trouble with my almost 3 year old. She's only 45 lbs, but I can NOT get her to stop jumping on anyone that walks in the door. I've used the knee, asking people to stoop down to pet her, she is just so hyper. I'm discouraged because I've had dogs all my life, trained two of my own and can't get her to listen. Not at all against the shock collar if it's handled correctly. Tried using it for her barking, but she knew when it was on or off. Too smart for her own good. I've even took her to training. She's VERY headstrong and I can't get passed it. <_<

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did the paw trick to both feet in mid air and hit him on the end of his nose so hard it hurt my hand.........he almost bit me and the owner has tried everything also. Locking up the dog into another room is ok......but it doesn't teach the dog not to jump on people. I am going to try the shock collar thing and see what happens. Any and all help at this time will be a blessing.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
How about pepper spray? A little harsh, but I think the dog would learn real quick.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The shock collar worked for our 95 lb. yellow lab. Make sure you read the directions. Keep it on the dog awile as another collar so the dog gets really use to it. The dog will have know idea its the collar on him after that.
If the squeezing the paws and smacking him on the brim of his nose so he sneezes doesn't work the shock collar might. Just turn the power up so the dog can really feel the shock. I tried the shock collar on myself before I used it on my dog. It didn't feel real good but it wont hurt the dog. When your friend is ready to use the shock collar set the dog up so someone keeps coming in the door so the dog can learn real quick. Maybe a few different people doing it.
Another idea is obedience school. That also worked great for both our dogs. But if the dog is hyper active it'll probably alway act up a little.

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
QUOTE(WETBAR @ Feb 2 2004, 12:11 PM)Make sure you read the directions. Keep it on the dog awile as another collar so the dog gets really use to it. The dog will have know idea its the collar on him after that.
We did keep it on for long periods of time but the minute we would let her out she would just be a totally different dog. She'd be all mellow with the collar on and be a spaz when she didn't have it on!

I'm going to dig it out and give it another shot.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(sunshine @ Feb 2 2004, 11:33 AM)Shock Collar sounds like a good idea.......it might take a strong shock to stop this dog but if it works the dog lives.......
Or, just give the dog the SHOCKER!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts