Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught, cleaned, & ate smallmouth bass the day after garbage day, and now the whole back yard is smelling REALLY ripe! From now on, I'll only go fishing on the few days right BEFORE garbage day, not right after garbage day (weather permitting)... Unless any of you more experienced anglers know of a way to keep down the odor from fish offal in the garbage cans?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put it all in doubled up plastic shopping bags, put that in a pan to catch dripage, then into the freezer in the basement. Put it out the morning the garbage is to be picked up... no smell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I leave it set in the sun for a couple days then give it to my neighbors dog to play with, the best part is when it runs under the bed in the house.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I let the smallmouths go and get a cheeseburger or pizza on the way home. Don't have to clean the fish and the wrapper or box doesn't smell real bad in the trash no matter what day it is. Not much of a fish eater...they taste too much like fish.

I did enjoy the story of they guy who tried to cook a big gizzard shad (he didn't know what it was) and almost ended up divorced from the smell.

·
Registered
74 Posts
with all the walleye in the lakes and perch why in gods name would you want to kill and eat a smallmouth ? PLEASE CATCH AND RELEASE. lets all do are part in keeping bass in the lakes. you couldnt be a bass fisherman if you want to eat them......yuck

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Double bagged & into the freezer is the only way.
Kind of erks the wife a bit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Recent U.S. Government health reports show that eating Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass causes severe genital shrinkage, tooth discoloration, abdominal cramping, night sweats and acne.
Maybe you should switch to perch and walleye.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A better way to do it is to take fish remains and put them in a paper bag then put that in a plastic bag and put in freezer until trash day.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I wish every one was as good with there trash as you people. I am a garbage man and boy let me tell you about some of the smells I deal with daily. Not to mention those millions of cute little white crawling things.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
"What ya got in your freezer?"

"Fish guts!"

"Yum."

I just couldn't bring myself to do that. Yuck!

I don't mind if people eat a few bass. I can't do it, but it's necessary in some lakes to take out a few. Bass are one of my least favorite. I'm eating a walleye, perch, or spring gills/speks the 2 or 3 times a year I actually eat fish. That's about it.

Now, if cheeseburgers swam in the lake and would bite a spinnerbait, I'd really put on the weight...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts