Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up mine already, The price went up from last year its now 15.00 but like normal im sure they will still sell out. So dont forget to pick yours up soon !

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
So let me get this straight you can shoot a doe with your first bow license and now you can purchase extra doe tags for state land? By this has gotten a lot more complicated since the last time I hunted in 1992. I used to get a bow license and a gun license and apply for a private land doe permit which I always got cause I was the only one applying. So when is the does tags good for any hunt bow or gun? Can anyone help me out here.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
And what the heck is an apprentice license. Boy oh Boy I am going to have to go take hunters safety all over again to learn all this new crap. I mean I know there is no baiting anymore. Thank goodness. JMO. I never did like that a bunch of yahoos dumping thousands of pounds of sugar beets and carrots and apples and crap all over the place cause they can't go out and scout deer and learn to track them. Mind you this is JUST MY OPINION and not meant to get any of the pro bait peoples panties in a bunch.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
For the vast majority of state land you have to still aplly and be drawn. If their are any left over tags you can then purchase them over the counter. For most of the state land their really aren't any left over tags though. Some areas of private land like the one I hunt up north have severly restricted doe tags and you are allowed to apply and be drawn for them. You do not have to apply but if you don't their usually aren't any tags left to buyover the counter. In a lot of the deer management units, especially in the southern third, their are plenty of tags to go around and those you can buy 2 per day over the counter until they are gone. You are limited to a total of 5 per year with no more than 2 of those being in the northern zones. This is all from my memory so I may have a number off but that is the jist of it. The dnr website has all this spelled out for you if you want more info. I do not mind the baiting ban either, although I don't think it has made much of a difference judging by the amount of bait the gas stations etc. are still selling.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(Tony @ Sep 11 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For the vast majority of state land you have to still aplly and be drawn. If their are any left over tags you can then purchase them over the counter. For most of the state land their really aren't any left over tags though. Some areas of private land like the one I hunt up north have severly restricted doe tags and you are allowed to apply and be drawn for them. You do not have to apply but if you don't their usually aren't any tags left to buyover the counter. In a lot of the deer management units, especially in the southern third, their are plenty of tags to go around and those you can buy 2 per day over the counter until they are gone. You are limited to a total of 5 per year with no more than 2 of those being in the northern zones. This is all from my memory so I may have a number off but that is the jist of it. The dnr website has all this spelled out for you if you want more info. I do not mind the baiting ban either, although I don't think it has made much of a difference judging by the amount of bait the gas stations etc. are still selling.

Yes I went to meijers this morning and picked one up for macomb county and one for oakland county. So I will be set if I fill them all. i am a venison freak I can eat it 7 days a week breakfast, lunch and dinner. But I was raised on it. My parents were retired and my dad did taxidermy so all we ate was wild game. The way I got it figured. I'll get one buck and three does. But at least three does. If it isn't a nice buck it will go and grow.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Sep 11 2009, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And what the heck is an apprentice license. Boy oh Boy I am going to have to go take hunters safety all over again to learn all this new crap. I mean I know there is no baiting anymore. Thank goodness. JMO. I never did like that a bunch of yahoos dumping thousands of pounds of sugar beets and carrots and apples and crap all over the place cause they can't go out and scout deer and learn to track them. Mind you this is JUST MY OPINION and not meant to get any of the pro bait peoples panties in a bunch.

An apprentice license is for kids 10 and older that are not old enough to take hunters safety classes but can go out and hunt with an adult that is licensed. They are trying to recruit or get more young people interested in hunting. I got one for my daughter so we could turkey and duck hunt. She is 11. They can take their hunters safety when they are 12. They can gun hunt at 12 and bow hunt at 10.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(scienceguru @ Sep 12 2009, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Sep 11 2009, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And what the heck is an apprentice license. Boy oh Boy I am going to have to go take hunters safety all over again to learn all this new crap. I mean I know there is no baiting anymore. Thank goodness. JMO. I never did like that a bunch of yahoos dumping thousands of pounds of sugar beets and carrots and apples and crap all over the place cause they can't go out and scout deer and learn to track them. Mind you this is JUST MY OPINION and not meant to get any of the pro bait peoples panties in a bunch.

An apprentice license is for kids 10 and older that are not old enough to take hunters safety classes but can go out and hunt with an adult that is licensed. They are trying to recruit or get more young people interested in hunting. I got one for my daughter so we could turkey and duck hunt. She is 11. They can take their hunters safety when they are 12. They can gun hunt at 12 and bow hunt at 10.

Ahh was just wondering all these new things on the dnr website. When I was young I didn't have to have any of that stuff I went out with pops and sat in the blind and occasionaly got to be lucky enough to hold the gun. Started bowhunting at 12 and gun at 14. They even made that younger now. Man kids have got it good now a days.LOL

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Sep 13 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scienceguru @ Sep 12 2009, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Sep 11 2009, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And what the heck is an apprentice license. Boy oh Boy I am going to have to go take hunters safety all over again to learn all this new crap. I mean I know there is no baiting anymore. Thank goodness. JMO. I never did like that a bunch of yahoos dumping thousands of pounds of sugar beets and carrots and apples and crap all over the place cause they can't go out and scout deer and learn to track them. Mind you this is JUST MY OPINION and not meant to get any of the pro bait peoples panties in a bunch.

Ahh was just wondering all these new things on the dnr website. When I was young I didn't have to have any of that stuff I went out with pops and sat in the blind and occasionaly got to be lucky enough to hold the gun. Started bowhunting at 12 and gun at 14. They even made that younger now. Man kids have got it good now a days.LOL

Unfortunatly they don't realize how good. Kids now a days would rather set in front of a tv or video game than get out and enjoy what the outdoors has to offer. I think that its great that the DNR has these programs for kids. Get them started early I say. We need to keep up this states great hunting and fishing heritage.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(Toothy Grin @ Sep 13 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Sep 13 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(scienceguru @ Sep 12 2009, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Sep 11 2009, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And what the heck is an apprentice license. Boy oh Boy I am going to have to go take hunters safety all over again to learn all this new crap. I mean I know there is no baiting anymore. Thank goodness. JMO. I never did like that a bunch of yahoos dumping thousands of pounds of sugar beets and carrots and apples and crap all over the place cause they can't go out and scout deer and learn to track them. Mind you this is JUST MY OPINION and not meant to get any of the pro bait peoples panties in a bunch.

Unfortunatly they don't realize how good. Kids now a days would rather set in front of a tv or video game than get out and enjoy what the outdoors has to offer. I think that its great that the DNR has these programs for kids. Get them started early I say. We need to keep up this states great hunting and fishing heritage.

I totally agree if you take your kids hunting and fishing they won't be out running with the vagrants of todays society.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
my son's older brother is 10. His dad is in the army and cant take him hunting i have been practicing shooting a bow with him. You talking about one excited boy plus he went with me this year and caught his first walleye's.

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,227 Posts
QUOTE(scienceguru @ Sep 12 2009, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>An apprentice license is for kids 10 and older that are not old enough to take hunters safety classes but can go out and hunt with an adult that is licensed. They are trying to recruit or get more young people interested in hunting. I got one for my daughter so we could turkey and duck hunt. She is 11. They can take their hunters safety when they are 12. They can gun hunt at 12 and bow hunt at 10.

Actually, an Apprentice License is for anyone of ANY age that has not taken Hunter's Education.
They can buy one for 2 years and then are required to take HE before purchasing another license.

I have sold Apprentice License's to folks in their 60's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.