Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out Saturday and Sunday night, fishing the breakwalls, usual spot(s) east of Ambassador Bridge.

Saturday night, landed one small walleye (blue/silver wally diver), and my dad got a pike and lost a pig walleye bringing it over the wall (3/4 z jig, double twister tail). Never seen a pike caught at night before; we thought for sure it was a nice walleye 'till we saw it's nose. It was about 3-4 lbs. Kinda funny story...on Saturday, as me, my dad, and my regular fishing buddy are walking the wall, a guy and his wife (?) come up to me just as I hook my fish. "Get anything walking like that?" he asks me.
"Got one on right now, actually," I reply.
"Oh yeah?! Big cat?"
I could feel the bullheadedness of a walleye. "Walleye, hopefully."
"NO! You CAN'T get those from shore here!"
"Sure can, get 'em quite regularly from shore," I fire back.
Him: "If that's a walleye..."
The fish was about 1.5 lbs, but his excitement was faaaaaaaar more than mine. "I can't believe YOU caught a walleye from SHORE!" It was pretty funny...

Anyways, was out last night too. Got just a few rock bass in the first few hours on the same blue/silver wally diver. Switched over to a 3/4 oz jig and doubled up on Gulp! Alive's (had a trailer on), and on my first cast, within 10 seconds, got a NICE 3-4lb walleye! Much bigger than the small ones I normally get, which was quite the welcomed surprise. Nothing else the whole night, but the one good fish made it worthwhile. Left shortly thereafter, around 12:30am, 'cause my fireline was again breaking and giving me issues. Respooling today...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(C.Smitty @ Sep 7 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>great report barnz............way to put his foot in his mouth
........never under-estimate what you can accomplish from shore

I hear ya. I was always one of those people who thought shore fishing was kind of just luck, 'till this year. Got back into fishing, studied walleye feeding habits, DR depth maps, etc., and searched this (and other) forums/websites--basically learned all I could. I've caught 12 now altogether this year from shore from June on, without even being around for the spring run (will be around for the fall, though!!). It should be said, though, that I'm often out for 6 hours at night for a single 'eye. You do have to lower your expectations from shore a bit, and realize a good night is a fish or two, but any freezer meat I get feels like a small accomplishment!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(6667supersport @ Sep 7 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>WTG, you're due for a 3-4 fish night.

LOL, I hope so, but it didn't happen last night! Went out from 9pm-'till midnight and didn't even catch a rock bass...not a thing! With the rain the next few days, I hope I can get back out there and get one of those 3-4 fish nights!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Sep 8 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>good job your catching more eyes than some people that have boats

Yeah, but I'm pretty die hard. I'll be out for 5 hours and get 1 'eye, and consider it a successful outing. I probably average one or two 'eyes per ten hours fishing--if I had that kind of luck (bad luck?) in a boat I'd probably jump in! Look at my reports, out from 10pm-3am, one 'eye, MAYBE 2 if it's a REAL good night...lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
QUOTE(barnz @ Sep 8 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(wallysteve @ Sep 8 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>good job your catching more eyes than some people that have boats

Yeah, but I'm pretty die hard. I'll be out for 5 hours and get 1 'eye, and consider it a successful outing. I probably average one or two 'eyes per ten hours fishing--if I had that kind of luck (bad luck?) in a boat I'd probably jump in! Look at my reports, out from 10pm-3am, one 'eye, MAYBE 2 if it's a REAL good night...lol

Have you ever tried putting out a second line on the bottom? You could either put a crawler/minnow rig out for walleyes, or you could put out a catfish rig. Casting reels with clickers work the best, that way you can hear the fish take it out. Give it a shot.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In Canada, shore fishermen are only allowed one rod at a time. Plus, I walk the breakwalls a lot, so it's not really an option. Using lures/artificials also help to keep the sheeps (drums) off!

I'm pretty much only after walleyes, so it's really no big deal to miss out on some cats. Cranks and jigs are pretty much it for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.