Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since it is not that far off....i was wondering what everyone considers the first sign of spring and the kickoff of the open water season. for myself, it is heading up to omer, and partaking in the crazed alcohol induced sucker run each april 1. after that weekend (if i am still able to walk without a limp) i know that the pike run will start and then the detroit river will soon be filled with walleyes, and by jig or handline, my cooler will be filled with them too. soon thereafter, it is time for those LSC cats, in that "secret hole." ahhhh....warm weather...

so i ask, what is it for each of you, that gets you fired up and ready to go in the spring?

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
40 plus degrees

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
To me its the lialac bloom. By then the walleyes are going HUGE iin the river and this year the smallies will be going in Sandusky Bay for the GNT.....

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I thought that list was a 365 day list. I sure am ready for some warm air. Weather Bug says it is 9 degrees right now. Bad on old bodies. Bob.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
For me it is pulling the boat out of storage and getting it ready for the Lake Erie Western basin walleye staging and then the lower Detroit River walley run.

Jim

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
When I can roll the windows down in my car, even if it is only 50 degress.

·
Registered
927 Posts
how about when the gas bill goes back under $50, i can finally take the salt bags out of my lil s-10, the stray cats stray from underneath my house, all my fishing stuff moves back into the living room from the shed, my nipples no longer shrink to the size of a fleas when i take the dog out ( ouch ), and the smell of open water hits the air........ahhh spring.....trading in the 3 month cold for the 3 month allergy attack

madman himself

·
Registered
32 Posts
This first sigh of spring for me is when...

...I no longer need 5 layers of cloths to go fishing!

Feb - Some Ice fishing and some steelhead fishing
March - Some steelhead and walleye fishing
April - Some walleye fishing and crappie fishing and trout opens
May - Some crappie, bass and trout fishing
June - more fishing...

·
Registered
54 Posts
T-dub, it's nice to hear from someone else who appreciates the sucker run in Omer. My serious fisherman friend got me hooked on that tradition 2 years ago. My not so serious fisherman friends think I'm nuts. We'll have to say hello in Omer this spring.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the omer run is great. i really don't like suckers, but i tell ya what, there are alot of people up there who do, and who depend on that run to feed their families. they can em, they smoke em and they make fish cakes out of em. when i go there, i always park at the lot to the right, just north of the bridge. never have to pay for parking, cuz i just ask the people who own the property for a 5 gallon bucket, and tell them to send a kid over to pick it up and bring me a fresh one every hour or so. it is such a blast catching those things all day and night.....

fred trost had a great feature on it 2 years ago. although not interviewed, i was told by a few friends that the camera man zoomed in on me as i reeled a couple in. hope that wasn't my "15 minutes of fame.." heh heh.

i highly recommend that everyone check that run out at some time or another. there is alot of room to fish on that river. great to teach kids how to cast (and how to avoid river snags). just be sure you take the little ones out there in the daytime. at night, well, alcohol tends to fuel the testosterone, and the younger fellas sometimes get a little feisty. when that happens, i just stumble back to my blazer, and snooze in the back. which by the way is the best thing to do, as the cops pull EVERY car that pulls out of there over.

if anyone needs any info on omer or the sucker run.... e me.... [email protected] .

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have had some good memories of the sucker run but my friend that I go with is just a little too serious about his fishing sometimes. As it gets closer we should find out all who are going and maybe we can tip a couple back together.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts