Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often here that fisherman drift. When drifting with crawlers do you use a bobber or just a simple harness?
Also what about tubes do you let the tube just drift with the boat or cast it?
Thanks for any tips on this common technique.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
With crawlers there are many different ways, alot of them depend on the the speed of the drift and the area being covered. Simple harnesses work with inline sinkers, as do a splitshot and a hook.

With tubes, just toss it over the side and let the wind blow you. Weight will depend on the same factors as above. Use the lightewst weight you can while still maintaining bottom contact.

Both methods can be VERY effective and if it is blowing too hard look at getting a drift sock or two to help slow you down.

Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Using a bobber can be very productive, #1 your dept will always be the same, so you don't have to concentrate on that part. #2 a bobber will help keep the floating weeds from running down your line and fouling your set - up. #3 You can keep the rig out aways from your boat if there boat shy that day. Heck were allowed two poles on the American side so you can have one out there and cast the other one. #4 remember canada allows only one pole out. Using just a plain 1/8 oz. round head jig married with a berkley power grub.(3 inch) works great for drift - dragin...

h2o<-----say's good luck save some for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've caught a ton of walleye and a fair amount of smallmouth using a simple homemade worm harness. A single baitholder hook attached to a piece of 12# mono (green trilene for me) followed by 3 or 4 colored beads and a colorado blade of your choice. I'm partial to nickel and hammered nickel but others work also. On the rod end, slide a bullet or egg sinker of sufficient weight to find bottom and then a swivel. Attach the harness to the swivel, bait it and your in business. I've had my best luck using 1/3 to 1/2 a crawler instead of a full crawler and hooking it only once on the hook. Hooking it twice may be necessary if small fish are constantly cleaning your bait off. This rig works well with a decent sized minnow also, hooked up thru the lips. I usually deadstick this rig in a rod holder while casting jigs and it's been quite productive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts